autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Clay Tips/Advice

How's it going guys, been a while since I have been on here. Very busy with work and my new side passion on weekends, detailing. As of right now I have been detailing friends and family vehicles and ended up doing 5 full corrections so far in 2 months and love every minute of it. I have done vehicles ranging from my 2003 Mustang Cobra (first detail) to 4 door sedans like a 2006 BMW 330xi, all the way to a lifted 2006 Ford F250. What a difference in vehicles, not only in the amount of paint to cover in the larger ones but the amount of prep that varies by condition. One particular area I am aiming at in this thread is claying the vehicle.

Right now I just use Meguiars Clay Kit as I haven't found a better bang for your buck option. What I am asking here is if you can share any tips that will cut down the time of claying. It has been taking me +/- 3 hours in some instances, I am trying to cut down on that time. I am a perfectionist so I feel that contributes but if me adding another step like applying Iron X to the panel before claying help speed up claying I will consider that?

I am also looking for other options as far as clay lubricant and detailing clay, as the Meguiars Clay Kit seems to be a temporary product?

Thanks in advance.
    2003 10th Anniversary Torch Red Cobra
    Build#
    1689 of 2003
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mike Phillips

Re: Detailing Clay Tips/Advice

I'd wash the car and Iron X it BEFORE claying.

For claying, you should be using a fast hand movement. Knock this step out quickly, especially if your going to machine polish next and I recommend machine polishing after claying.

Jeff is a friend of mine and a local pro detailer, see what he has to say about the Speedy Prep Towel the first time he used it...

Video: Speedy Prep Towel in use

Also, almost all our "Live Broadcasts" include claying, check them out here,

Pictures & Videos of ALL the COOL cars buffed out at Autogeek!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike nailed this. Either traditional clay or the new speedy prep towel (which I use now exclusively for the most part) will work. Just be sure to take the appropriate steps to ensure nothing is embedded in the clay or hung up on the towel.
    Brian's Custom Detailing
    Where detail matters
    www.BriansCustomDetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Some here post of their pleasure in hand applying their favorite wax.
    My favorite aspect of detailing is the clay process - the bedrock on which the paint correction begins.

The reason for my post is that there have been several posts recently about clay sticking to the hand of the user. I'm amazed by their detailing prowess, yet amused by their lack of foresight.

My tip is this: LUBE, LUBE, and more LUBE. One can never use too much lube while claying.

When they clay starts sticking to my fingers, I liberally spray the patty and my hand/fingers. Nothing worse than having to spend time removing a yellow clay from hand, and is quite embarrassing if the client is lingering around.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DRT BRD View Post
    Mike nailed this. Either traditional clay or the new speedy prep towel (which I use now exclusively for the most part) will work. Just be sure to take the appropriate steps to ensure nothing is embedded in the clay or hung up on the towel.

I have a tip coming up for the Speedy Prep Towel in the near future, nothing real big but should help a little...

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree...I wont use a claybar again..I use the Nanoskin Autoscrubber...Like the Bionic Man....Faster and better in everyway, except it does not cost 6 Million Dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the advice, I seem to be sold on the Autoscrubber.
    2003 10th Anniversary Torch Red Cobra
    Build#
    1689 of 2003
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]