autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Routine following a "full" detail

I would like to hear from folks what your routine is to maintain that great shine following a "full" detail, e.g., full paint correction of clay, polish, and wax/sealant, in the following period until the next full detail.

I have just completed a full detail on a Inifinit G35...clay, menzerna, 4*UPP. What do I do now?

I understand the standard advice is not to do a full detail more than 1x/year; I likely will stretch this to 2 years. What is your gameplan?

I am planning to apply a coat of 4*UPP every 3 months or so. Have been told that I could wash with dawn (I use CG citruswash) to remove sealant, clay, then reapply sealant. Is this a good approach? What do you do/recommend? If using clay, do I have to worry about any marring? If so, do you then polish those isolated places? Or do the whole car?

Thanks. As you know, a full detail is a lot of work, so I want to keep the finish looking good and protected with an ongoing approach, but not sure what is best.

Thanks.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Routine following a "full" detail

Quote Originally Posted by spewking View Post
    I would like to hear from folks what your routine is to maintain that great shine following a "full" detail, e.g., full paint correction of clay, polish, and wax/sealant, in the following period until the next full detail.

I have just completed a full detail on a Inifinit G35...clay, menzerna, 4*UPP. What do I do now?

I understand the standard advice is not to do a full detail more than 1x/year; I likely will stretch this to 2 years. What is your gameplan?

I am planning to apply a coat of 4*UPP every 3 months or so. Have been told that I could wash with dawn (I use CG citruswash) to remove sealant, clay, then reapply sealant. Is this a good approach? What do you do/recommend? If using clay, do I have to worry about any marring? If so, do you then polish those isolated places? Or do the whole car?

Thanks. As you know, a full detail is a lot of work, so I want to keep the finish looking good and protected with an ongoing approach, but not sure what is best.

Thanks.

David
    I do a "Full" detail about once a year. That includes wash, clay, polish, LSP. But I usually clay 2-5 times a year anyway and apply a new LSP at least once a month lol use plenty of lube and marring shouldn't be to big of an issue. If you want to polish afterward its up to you really, I have just gotten to a point to where if I have a swirl here or a marr there I can live with it. But if some marring happens and your want to polish it by all means go ahead. I would use the lightest polish you have. It shouldn't be hard to remove light marring and if you can probably just do isolated places. It should really stand out unless the surrounding areas are really bad for some reason
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Mike Phillips

May practice and advice is always the same as it relates to the paint and that's

"Make sure anything that touches the paint is of the highest quality you can obtain"

It all comes down to what touches the paint and how it's touched.

After we buffed out the Scion last Thursday, the owner asked me how to take care of the car. When I told her not to take it to a "Car Wash" she was kind of let down as she was hoping that it would be as easy as letting someone else wash it to maintain the show car finish we created.

Instead, I suggested she either,

1. Take ownership of the car wash process
    2. Hire a pro detailer to take care of the car wash process

She opted for #2 and for her this will be the best way to maintain her car as Jeff will do a phenomenal job at maintaining the show car finish he helped to create.

In my how to book I also cover this in a bunch of area including the follow-up washing when I talk about not scrubbing the paint when a person washes their car.

Video & Pictures - GTechniq Makeover - 2012 High Voltage Yellow Scion tC 7.0

Post Thanks / Like

Only to supplement Mike's post with a DIY enthusiast's routine as a datapoint...

Once a year paint correction with Sealant.

Maintenance washes are on weekends. I try for every weekend but it is more realistic to say twice a month for me. For heavy soil I'll do a bucket wash but if I can get away with a waterless wash or a no-rinse then that's the way I go. Multiple clean MFs are the key, with constant rotating to a clean side when I see any hint of dirt on the towel.

A wash always comes with a wax and the application and product I choose is dependent on the time I have available. Twice a year I'll put down a layer of Collinite 845 by machine, removed by hand. Outside of that my standard wax is Meguire's NXT paste wax by machine, removed by hand. If I'm super short on time then I use Meguire's ultimate spray wax. Application and removal is one step - spray and wipe like a detailer.

Post Thanks / Like

I like what Mike posted last week somewhere, atleast its where I first saw it....KISS- Keep It Simple Simon (Mike is being his usual nice self with what he uses for the last "S") Its really easy with maintaining a car's finish when its done, regular car washes are the minimum, ofcoarse, mixing in a quality quick detailer afterwards would be a nice step added to the mix as well, but for some, it could be too much (yes, you've gotta consider the general masses out there) IMO, adding a wiping down with a quick detailer after every wash is a must if your not going to stay ontop of your car like most of us do but at the very least, you should do this atleast once a month. Going a step further would be something like DG #111 for instance, a stronger version of a QD and if used with a good QD, using something like DG #111 once a month should keep your ride looking its very best but just to say it again, REGULAR HAND CAR WASHES are key!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. Washes are all done the "high quality" way and I feel confident about my process there. Learned a lot from all of you here on AG!!

The follow up process with sealant and the associated claying, polishing and other prep is the focus of my info need. I want to keep it sharp, without unnecessarily subjecting the paint to too much preperation/correction work and me with unnecessary time.

Any other specific thoughts appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Routine following a "full" detail

Quote Originally Posted by spewking View Post
    Thanks all. Washes are all done the "high quality" way and I feel confident about my process there. Learned a lot from all of you here on AG!!

The follow up process with sealant and the associated claying, polishing and other prep is the focus of my info need. I want to keep it sharp, without unnecessarily subjecting the paint to too much preperation/correction work and me with unnecessary time.

Any other specific thoughts appreciated.
    Well claying isn't going to be something needed every time you apply something to the paint, only when you can feel it on your fingertips after washing, so don't worry too much there and again with polishing, not needed everytime you apply something to the paint, a good coat of wax every 2 monthes should keep the car looking its best, along with the above mentioned process of good hand wash/quick detailers/spray wax like Dura Gloss Aqua Wax for instance. Once the swirls start to show up, then and only then should you polish out the paint to bring it up to par If you stay ontop of it, using the least aggressive polish will net you the results your looking for and wear away the least amount of clear/paint which is always best.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't daily my car and its a garage queen pretty much.

Every single time before I take it out, I spray detail the car real quick just to get the dust off and spray detail the wheels with a different rag (I have the worst brake dust). Every 5 times I just vacuum the rugs out real quick and condition the leather/dashboard.

If you daily the car I would wash/vacuum it once a week. After your washes I would spray wax it and every 4 washes I would put a nice paste wax on like Collinite for extra protection. I would clay the car twice a year and the second time around I'd go over the whole car with an AIO just to remove the minor imperfections.