autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How long does it take you?

How long would it take you to do one of these details on a small car? I'm going to try to detail my subaru impreza before the weekend and was wondering if I had enough time to do all of the following.
    wash & dry
    wheel dressing
    clay
    swirl remove
    polish
    sealant
    wax

Any input is good input for me at this point. It took me around 5 hours total for a wash, clay, and wax on a Toyota Highlander. So, I am quite worried about my time limit.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long does it take you?

I'd say 8-10 hours, maybe a little more with your double LSP. Do a test spot first, so you don't polish the whole car and find out you're not getting the results you want.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first started doing this type of work it took me about 15 hours. a few years of constant practice and more efficient tools, product and technique, it would now probably take me about 6-7 hours. A lot of Subaru paint is on the softer side but every now and then I get one that surprisingly has pretty hard to correct paint. Never assume that the next one is just like the last one you did. "Always" do a test session before just going at it. Of course the sealant should fully cure before topping with wax. so there's time to account for there too that's not in my figure.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay I will do that, Setec. Thank you very much for your help. Also, I am going to use a 6" orange pad to start. Do you have any tips for front bumpers with a pad that big? I'd say my biggest problem would be slinging product everywhere with it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great! Dave thank you for your advice. If the paint is on the softer side, it will go smoother and quicker, right?

Post Thanks / Like

how long would it take if the polish, wax, swirl was a one step process and you did everything else mentioned by the OP?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I just did my DD 2001 Impreza, it took me about 7 hours total. Although with 193K I was not looking for perfection, just wanted to get some more shine out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scatman320 View Post
    Great! Dave thank you for your advice. If the paint is on the softer side, it will go smoother and quicker, right?
    Generally speaking, softer paint typically is corrected of the swirls and light scratches easier and quicker than with harder paint, but the finishing steps can be a little more tricky with soft paint.

Quote Originally Posted by DEXTERITY View Post
    how long would it take if the polish, wax, swirl was a one step process and you did everything else mentioned by the OP?

thanks
    There's no real way to answer that, because it would really depend on a lot of differing variables such as paint hardness, ambient temperature, working in or out of the sun, how aggressive or non aggressive the AIO is, what machine you're using, what pads you're using, how developed your technique is at using said machine etc. etc.

Having said all of that, it could take less time to do a swirl removal with an abrasive polish and then apply a sealant than it might working with an AIO, or it could go the other way. All situations are different and that's why the testing phase in the beginning of the job is so important. It is in the testing of the products, pads, machine, machine speed, technique etc. etc. on the actual car at the beginning of the job where you will get the answers to your questions.

Post Thanks / Like

a good 8-10 hours if you are used to doing it. plan on an all day affair!

or do like some folks and do a panel after each weekly wash and in a month u will have it done.

Mike Phillips

One thing I've never claimed is to be the fastest...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast