autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

detailing roofs of larger suv

what do you guys use toget up and wash, buff the roofs of larger suvs without potenionally scratching or damaging the side panels? i just did my toyota 4runner and it was a pain trying to do the roof, i have a couple different size step ladders but its still a pain

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a stool that has two steps. It has a handle that always worries me so I'm going to add some foam insulation that you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot to it to protect the truck.

I'd like to get the Warner scaffold because it would allow more movement. It's around $40 so it's not too expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: detailing roofs of larger suv

I washed my truck today. For the roof I climb in the back of the bed too get too the roof. You can open the doors and do it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: detailing roofs of larger suv

Quote Originally Posted by SilverHawk View Post
    I washed my truck today. For the roof I climb in the back of the bed too get too the roof. You can open the doors and do it that way.
    to hard to do on the 4runner as there is no box plus its hard to us a da one handed if you're standing in the doors trying to hold on.

If i could find some kind of ladder that was about wheel height with a platform around, 4-6' long ( kinda like a sawhorse) would be ideal, then i could place it beside the vehicle and do the whole roof without moving it till i needed to do the otherside.....but i havnt found one yet

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Werner 4 Ft. Aluminum Work Platform.
    Aluminum Work Platform Type II 225 lb. Load Capacity)-AP-20 at The Home Depot
    It's built well and easy to store.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SilverHawk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by truckbutt View Post
    I use the Werner 4 Ft. Aluminum Work Platform.
    Aluminum Work Platform Type II 225 lb. Load Capacity)-AP-20 at The Home Depot
    It's built well and easy to store.
    Thats exactly what ive been looking for , is 20 inches the heighest they have or can you get them higher?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still using the PIA step ladders but am looking at the possibility of picking up a rolling scaffold setup such as the one's offered by Home Depot or Lowe's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow73 View Post
    Thats exactly what ive been looking for , is 20 inches the heighest they have or can you get them higher?
    With my truck roof being almost 7ft tall I feel your pain. I have a double cab so although I can hop in the bed for most of it, there is still about 25% I have to reach at from the sides and that werner platform does not really cut it for me.

I have not bit the bullet yet but there is a platform from griots that I think takes you to 30in. I would have to look again to verify. It has a rubber base so it should give you traction when wet vs the werner does not. I added friction tape to mine but now I have to wash my hands every time I touch it to move it because the grit comes off and onto my hands. The last thing I want to do is move my platform and then grab the sponge to wash my truck only to put huge scratches in it.

It is a little more expensive but I think the convenience would be worth it. the only thing that concerns me is how stable is it at that height?
    Why was the Energizer Bunny arrested?... He was charged with battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_10 View Post
    With my truck roof being almost 7ft tall I feel your pain. I have a double cab so although I can hop in the bed for most of it, there is still about 25% I have to reach at from the sides and that werner platform does not really cut it for me.

I have not bit the bullet yet but there is a platform from griots that I think takes you to 30in. I would have to look again to verify. It has a rubber base so it should give you traction when wet vs the werner does not. I added friction tape to mine but now I have to wash my hands every time I touch it to move it because the grit comes off and onto my hands. The last thing I want to do is move my platform and then grab the sponge to wash my truck only to put huge scratches in it.

It is a little more expensive but I think the convenience would be worth it. the only thing that concerns me is how stable is it at that height?
    that pretty good if i could find some place in canada that carries it

Post Thanks / Like

There is a forum member here by the name of Richy. I would try to talk to him. He lives in Canada and probably knows how to source just about anything you could want. He is a vet on this site and to detailing. Great guy and very knowledgeable.
    Why was the Energizer Bunny arrested?... He was charged with battery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast