autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Sealant or wax on top of treated black trim?

Can't find this using search tools, keeping getting results on how to remove wax from trim. Question for the pros: Older black trim on 03 Escape, been using Megs Gold Class Trim Detailer on it , which makes it look great, but since its not garage kept, it "runs" after a few rain showers. In northeast PA, we get a few a week. Can I use some type of spray wax/sealer on top of the treated black trim (around wheel wheels, the Escape logo on the roof rack etc) and buff it without it turning chalky white?

So:
    1: Clean
    2: Megs Trim detailer, buff with MF
    3: Spray wax, buff with MF

Get longer lasting "black" trim ?

Or will this leave it chalky white like left over wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant or wax on top of treated black trim?

Once the trim has been restored to black or just as a single product use a product that will not come off in the rain. I prefer Ultima Trim and Tire Guard Plus (UTTG+).
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how much money you want to spend, but a product like C4 or the new CarPro DLux or Solution Finish will give you a semi-permanent treatment (Opti-Coat 2.0 may as well, but you need to do a test spot to see if it will restore it).

Or UTTG or WETS (Wolfgang) will give you a longer-lasting trim solution then the dressing you are using now.

However, another good solution that I have found is to use something like Collinite 845 or even 476S if you go on really thin. These will usually darken trim and last for a bit. Just don't build up any in the texture of the trim and then let it dry, or you'll have a heck of a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I don't know how much money you want to spend, but a product like C4 or the new CarPro DLux or Solution Finish will give you a semi-permanent treatment (Opti-Coat 2.0 may as well, but you need to do a test spot to see if it will restore it).

Or UTTG or WETS (Wolfgang) will give you a longer-lasting trim solution then the dressing you are using now.

However, another good solution that I have found is to use something like Collinite 845 or even 476S if you go on really thin. These will usually darken trim and last for a bit. Just don't build up any in the texture of the trim and then let it dry, or you'll have a heck of a time.
    Hmm, I have a bottle of 845, I use that to wax the paint. So if I put that on thin, and buff off well it won't turn the black trim chalky white after it "cures" or gets rained on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior View Post
    Hmm, I have a bottle of 845, I use that to wax the paint. So if I put that on thin, and buff off well it won't turn the black trim chalky white after it "cures" or gets rained on?
    845 is so easy to apply thinly. I usually use something like M16 or 476S for winter and I usually go over my textured black trim with them and it looks great. I've never experienced trim staining with these products (unless you over apply), but there is so much variation in trim...try a test spot, or do one (small) piece of trim that way. I don't know if that Gold Class stuff you are using is the same stuff I have from years ago, but it was terrible, I am sure 845 will last longer.