autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clay Bars on other websites (Ebay and Amazon)

CONCLUSION:

I wanted to let everyone know I now have a very detailed experience with clay from Ebay (they are all the same, identical actually).

I bought from one of the most well known sellers there with good ratings, and even bought in bulk because I hoped for the best... LONG STORY SHORT: It was worthless. I don't mean it wasn't "as good" as name-brand clay, or even that I had to use a lot more product and pressure, I LITERALLY MEAN WORTHLESS. I was frankly like I was rubbing a bar of soap over my client's vehicle.

This is one investment I can wholeheartedly say is a waste, I even had to SEND IT BACK, at my own expense, for a lame partial refund which I am disputing and leaving negative feedback on!

I am sad, because other clays range from pricey, to, OH-MY-GOODNESS-WHAT-ON-EARTH pricey... oh well.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered a new Clay Magic Blue yesterday for $23.95 with free shipping on eBay to replace the one I've used for years (along with some other brands).

I have tried GG (junk in my opinion), and others but none I have tried compare to Clay Magic.

I looked at the cheaper bars but did not think they would be very effective so I passed on them.
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezriderga View Post
    I just ordered a new Clay Magic Blue yesterday for $23.95 with free shipping on eBay to replace the one I've used for years (along with some other brands).

I have tried GG (junk in my opinion), and others but none I have tried compare to Clay Magic.

I looked at the cheaper bars but did not think they would be very effective so I passed on them.
    You do know Clay Magic and Auto Magic hold the patent for clay right? That all the other companies have to license it from them? They almost always win a dispute as well. So when you see Meguiars, Mother's and other clays, know that they are identical except for grade, weight, coloring/"dye" or other cosmetic changes.

All clay that is sold in the US, is the same and comes from the same place. So the Griot's clay is made by Auto Magic, as is the Meguiars, as is the Adam's clay, as is Turtle Wax etc.

The fact you say one clay is "junk" compared to the other is just your unsubstantiated assumption.

The patent will run out soon though, and that's when you'll finally see much better clay and clay bars come to the market. If you look at Autogeek's, canadian distributor site, Eshine, you can see that they are able to sell clay that is truly better than anything you can get in the US
    eShine Canada: Riccardo Clay Original Yellow (8oz)

Post Thanks / Like

Assumption? I've used GG and I still say it's junk based on MY experience. You are entitled to your own opinion, not mine.
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic_Detailing View Post
    CONCLUSION:

I wanted to let everyone know I now have a very detailed experience with clay from Ebay (they are all the same, identical actually).

I bought from one of the most well known sellers there with good ratings, and even bought in bulk because I hoped for the best... LONG STORY SHORT: It was worthless. I don't mean it wasn't "as good" as name-brand clay, or even that I had to use a lot more product and pressure, I LITERALLY MEAN WORTHLESS. I was frankly like I was rubbing a bar of soap over my client's vehicle.

This is one investment I can wholeheartedly say is a waste, I even had to SEND IT BACK, at my own expense, for a lame partial refund which I am disputing and leaving negative feedback on!

I am sad, because other clays range from pricey, to, OH-MY-GOODNESS-WHAT-ON-EARTH pricey... oh well.
    Have you tried the amazon ones?
    2017 Mercedes Benz AMG C43
    2016 Acura MDX SH-awd

Post Thanks / Like

Dynamic, was the eBay item you tried one of the blue 3M ones from Hong Kong?
    Just received 2 of these ($4AUD ea, delivered) but haven't had a chance to try them...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbull2984 View Post
    Have you tried the amazon ones?
    Hi Big Bull, no I haven't. I suppose I was so turned off by Ebay, I will go with Clay Magic or name brands from now on. Do you have any insight on Amazon versions? I assumed, wrongly perhaps, they were all the same. My limited knowledge leads me to believe they just buy thousands of units in bulk from a cheap Japanese company and resale them at a profit, so they are as generic and worthless as they come.

Quote Originally Posted by neat e34 View Post
    Dynamic, was the eBay item you tried one of the blue 3M ones from Hong Kong?
    Just received 2 of these ($4AUD ea, delivered) but haven't had a chance to try them...
    No, they were all grey in color. I would think 3M would be great, I think they have a very solid company. I hope so at least... just spent thousands of dollars getting my GT500 wrapped, haha!
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like
    i have ordered some in about a month ago but have not received it. so i need to dispute it soon. lol

in my opinion. it works great.
    in description it says medium grade.
    first of all i am hobbying at budget as some of you are. so compare to some clay like over $10 to mine less than $6 it is a big difference in price.

does it cause marring? i think so. but usually it was follow up with polishing. for those jobs that i was not paid for polish i usually use the speed prep towel.

i tried to switch around on the same car to see which one works better they are very similar or no different sometimes.

if some dirt can't be pulled out from one of them the other one can't too. perhaps the expensive one can. however so far i think my practice is ok. perhaps i will try the expensive clay if the person bring me a lambo. btw i am bias.

hope this info help.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Mothers clay has always worked great for me I see no need to switch

Post Thanks / Like

The detailers speedy towel is all I use now. I've said goodbye and good riddance to costly clays

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast