autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsvbGarageGalleryDetailing How To'sDetailing How ToFacebookTwitterYouTube

Go Back   Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum > Auto Detailing Forums > Auto Detailing 101

Register FAQ Upload Photos Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Instagram

Old 04-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #1

Question Masking Tape Type and Width?

Spring is here, my collection of detailing products is swelling with new stuff, and it's time to get started using the latest tools and techniques. Our cars have not had much care in the last few years due to house remodeling. One technique I want to use is taping, but I've never taped before polishing before. So I need to get some masking tape, but am not sure of the best type and size.

AG sells Meguires and 3M tape, and the local HD sells all sorts of masking tape. In the AG videos and pics, it looks like they are using a lot of the 3M green tape. Is there any advantage to the green 3M tape over Meguires or standard masking tape?

Aside from the obvious use of wide tape for grills and vent openings, what width do you normally use?

Thanks,

Dan.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Director of Training

Re: Masking Tape Type and Width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookemDano View Post
Spring is here, my collection of detailing products is swelling with new stuff, and it's time to get started using the latest tools and techniques. Our cars have not had much care in the last few years due to house remodeling. One technique I want to use is taping, but I've never taped before polishing before. So I need to get some masking tape, but am not sure of the best type and size.

AG sells Meguires and 3M tape, and the local HD sells all sorts of masking tape. In the AG videos and pics, it looks like they are using a lot of the 3M green tape. Is there any advantage to the green 3M tape over Meguires or standard masking tape?

Aside from the obvious use of wide tape for grills and vent openings, what width do you normally use?

Thanks,

Dan.

At the time we shot that video either the Megs tapes were not in-house or not available or we used the 3M Green because of the greater contrast against the black paint.

Video: How to tape-off car trim before machine polishing

Somewhere on AGO or MOL I have some detailed information posted about the Meguiar's masking tapes and what makes them different/better for taping off cars before buffing but to date I have not been able to locate the thread.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 04-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Director of Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookemDano View Post

Thanks,

Dan.

I like to have a collection of different widths on hand to match the width of the tape to whatever I'm taping off.

Also, when I've needed thinner tape, like 1/4" I take 1/2" and place a strip as long as I need on something clean I can run a razor blade over and then just free-hand a cut down the center. Pull off one side and you have 1/4" tape...

Old 04-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #4

Mike,

Great info. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #5

Is it ok to use the blue painters tape?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
Somewhere on AGO or MOL I have some detailed information posted about the Meguiar's masking tapes and what makes them different/better for taping off cars before buffing but to date I have not been able to locate the thread.
You mentioned that write up when you and I were talking about tape at DetailFest, but I couldn't find it on MOL either!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Director of Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
You mentioned that write up when you and I were talking about tape at DetailFest, but I couldn't find it on MOL either!

I still don't know where it's at but I do know I wrote it because I talked at length with Mike Pennington about it.

I'll keep my eyes open for it, kind of hard to search through my posts on either forum to try to find it as that would take a while..

Using a member's Posting History to find an answer

Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
I still don't know where it's at but I do know I wrote it because I talked at length with Mike Pennington about it.

I'll keep my eyes open for it, kind of hard to search through my posts on either forum to try to find it as that would take a while..

I think this may be it - page 2?

Tape it off and avoid a lifetime of ugly...
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #9

subbed
Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLipster View Post
Is it ok to use the blue painters tape?

I use it all the time, it's an excellent tape.