autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Much Difference in clay?

I was just wondering- Is there much of a difference with different clays? I use Meguiar's clay, and I like it. I've never tried any other brands of clay though. If some clays are supposed to be about the same aggressiveness, is there much difference other than that? I've also seen some that are specific to glass, but I wouldn't know what would really be different about it to be used on glass.

Thoughts, theories, comments, facts, opinions?
    Would you just look at this car!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Much Difference in clay?

All of the clay is made by the same company due to the patent protection. That being said, there are myriad formulations made for specific resellers. But pretty much within classes (ultrafine, medium, aggressive) there isn't going to be a huge difference.

Keep your eyes peeled for some differences over the next few years as the clay patents start to expire.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh that is very interesting, Setec! I would think though, there would be some completely different formulations or materials created by other labs/scientists/companies. I guess none of the major ones have "reinvented the wheel?"
    Would you just look at this car!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlantonDetail View Post
    Oh that is very interesting, Setec! I would think though, there would be some completely different formulations or materials created by other labs/scientists/companies. I guess none of the major ones have "reinvented the wheel?"
    The patent-holder was very aggressive in prosecuting infringement cases, and I guess they had a good patent, or good attorneys. They legally stopped the other two companies that were producing clay in the US in the late 90's/early 00's from selling it here. The problem is the patent really covered the "concept" of clay, so it's pretty hard to get around that and still be making clay.

As I alluded to, one of the patents expires late this year, although there are several others which are newer, so it's unclear to me when/if we will see more clay choices in this market. At least one of those two other companies still produces their clay for other markets.

All that being said, I just want to reinforce--all clay is NOT the same. Specific formulas exist for specific companies like Pinnacle, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Opti-Clay can start selling in the US again in 2013. May be wrong

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kingjohn21 View Post
    I believe Opti-Clay can start selling in the US again in 2013. May be wrong
    That should be correct unless one of the later patents covers it. The Opti-Clay is the old Erazer or now Ricardo.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see Bilt Hamber clay available over there - it's easier to ship items from the US to here than it is from the UK (relatives and all that...). I like Bilt Hamber soft even better than the Opti-Clay that I have.
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That should be correct unless one of the later patents covers it. The Opti-Clay is the old Erazer or now Ricardo.
    Woah opti-clay is riccardo?! Damn! optimum does make FINE products all across the board!
    Up in canada, riccardo is pretty obtainable since we don't have the patent applied here. Man it is some awesome stuff; so soft.

How do other clays compare though? I've only ever used riccardo, and haven't felt the need to change, but I'm down to my last 80g so I'm wondering if I should get a different brand.

But really, other than that, all clays have the same cleansing performance (when comparing within the same grade level of course).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HellDemon View Post
    Woah opti-clay is riccardo?!
    Well, no, Opti-Clay and Riccardo is Erazer. Not really sure who is making it because I thought AutoMagic put Erazer out with the punitive damages in the lawsuit (Erazer defied the court order to cease and desist because they felt the patent was invalid).

This is all ancient history and I guess the main thing is the Erazer stuff was "elastic" meaning it wouldn't break apart as easily as the clays we now have here. I think the first patent expires in December so soon enough there may be major changes in the clay market.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I was given a few 200 gram bars of this clay. It was by far my favorite clay just because of how sticky it was. The Riccardo and Erazer clay was the only clay I never dropped accidentally but sometimes it was hard to get off of my fingers. I really hope to see this sold here in the states someday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast