autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Replacing XMT with CG products

I am almost out of XMT product and would like to change to CG. I am having a hard time telling the different between their products and what they actually do. The paint correction 3 (no. 700)is obviously a heavy swirl remover, but what about the optical compound v34?

If someone would be so kind as to describe the differences to a product newb I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to buy repeats of the a product that does the same thing, but I would like to instill a show room shine. The gloss magnifier and the vetrua bond seem similar so will I need both or just one? JetSeal vs M-seal? LSP will be the butter wet wax. I have been using it for a while and I love it!

Also, is EZ-creme glaze thicker than the XMT finishing glaze or is it also very watery? And will AG match the CG deal of the day or sale price and keep free shipping available?

If someone could suggest a similar priced and sized product line I would be open to it. PBW seems like the only contender but that is even more confusing to me.

Thanks guys,
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replacing XMT with CG products

Quote Originally Posted by davidg View Post
    ...and would like to change to CG. I am having a hard time telling the different between their products and what they actually do. If someone would be so kind as to describe the differences to a product newb I would greatly appreciate it.
    Good luck. The CG ad copy seems to be written by an internet Random Hyperbole Generator.

Post Thanks / Like

First off, welcome to Autogeek Online Dave!

Do you currently have a polisher that you used the XMT products with? Or have you been working by hand?

I have the Paint Correction 1 and 2 from Chemical Guys and they both work very well. I was not too pleased with the performance of PC 2 because of all the dust and micro marring it left behind. PC 1 was a lot better to work with. PC 3 seems to be the most aggressive compound CG offers, able to remove 1000 grit sanding marks. I know CG's Paint Correction line uses DAT(Diminishing Abrasive Technology). This means that the abrasives in the compound will break down when worked in. The V34 compound works the same way, but from the description it sounds like the V34 will produce a better finish after compounding, which means you won't have to go through as many polishing steps.

I know the Optical Polishes are newer and probably utilize the latest technology. So I would stick with them if you are going with the Chemical Guys line.

I don't see the need for the Gloss Magnifier or the Vetrua Bond. As long as you cleanly wipe of the excessive polish residue you will be ready to apply a sealant. I can't tell what the difference is between Jet Seal 109 and M-Seal. I would stick with M-Seal being that it is less money than Jet Seal. Unless someone else can comment about one being different than another.

For price matching, it is best to call Autogeek and ask if they can price match certain products. Autogeek has great customer service.

Autogeek carries many product lines that contain products that can be used from the first step of your detail to the last step. Some examples are..
    -Blackfire Car Care Products, Midnight Sun Car Wax, black fire car wax
    -Wolfgang Concours Series Car Care, paint sealant, german car care products, wolfgang paint sealant, car wax
    -Pinnacle Natural Brilliance, pinnacle car care products, souveran, signature series, carnauba, paintwork cleansing lotion, car wax, paint protection
    -Four Star Ultimate Car Care Products
    -Griot's Garage Car Care, Griots Garage Detailing Products, Griotsgarage
    -Meguiars Car Care Products,Meguiars Wax, Meguiars polish, Meguiars, Meguiars Gold Class Car Wax, Meguiars car polish, meguires car wax, meguiars quick
    -Mothers Car Care Products include Mothers car polishes, Mothers wax, Mothers polish & cleaners
    -Optimum Polymer Technologies: Advanced Polymer Technology is in every Optimum Car Care Product. opt car care, optimum car wax, optimum car wash,
    -Poorboys World Polishing & Detailing Products: High quality, low cost car care products! poor boy's car care, poorboy's detailing products, poorboys

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! This forum has many friendly members that will be more than happy to answer them!
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Good luck. The CG ad copy seems to be written by an internet Random Hyperbole Generator.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidg View Post
    I am almost out of XMT product and would like to change to CG. I am having a hard time telling the different between their products and what they actually do. The paint correction 3 (no. 700)is obviously a heavy swirl remover, but what about the optical compound v34?

If someone would be so kind as to describe the differences to a product newb I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to buy repeats of the a product that does the same thing, but I would like to instill a show room shine. The gloss magnifier and the vetrua bond seem similar so will I need both or just one? JetSeal vs M-seal? LSP will be the butter wet wax. I have been using it for a while and I love it!

Also, is EZ-creme glaze thicker than the XMT finishing glaze or is it also very watery? And will AG match the CG deal of the day or sale price and keep free shipping available?

If someone could suggest a similar priced and sized product line I would be open to it. PBW seems like the only contender but that is even more confusing to me.

Thanks guys,
    David
    Hey David, CG line up is very confusing, every product is described as being the absolute best and does this and that and blah blah blah. The CG store is by my shop so I went in a took a look at their products. Its even more confusing in person. I was told that the Optical line up is DAT and has to be worked long then SMAT of course. I bought the 16oz bottles of the line up and gave it a try. My personal experience was that the compound had a lot of cut but didn't finish as well as say M105 or Auto Magic Power Cut compound.

Its been my experience that with the optical line up, you def have to use 3 step approach which can be very time consuming. My biggest turn off on the optical product line and other CG products was the cost per oz. I have to check but I believe that it was around $23-26 for 16oz of an OK product. I do this for a living and my bottom line cost and ease of use/quickness are of the utmost importance. There are some great products made by CG like their Wash & Gloss Shampoo which I have a hard time finding anything that competes and does an equal job with. Their MF towels are outstanding and the cost is hard to beat as well.

I have the Jet Seal which I found to be over priced due to its duribility. On a DD that sits outside it didn't make it a month. The slickness was good and the wet factor was decent, but compared to Ultima PG or opti seal or WG DGPS there is no comparison. I have the M-seal as well and have yet to try it but was told it was decent but the duribility isn't "designed to last more than 1-2 months with diligent cleaning practices"

As far as the glazes go, I have the EZ Acrylic and Blacklight Hybrid? The blacklight is a great product and I can recommend it. The slickness and wet factor was great and duribility was good. Customers have been happy when I've used this in conjunction with a wax and sealant and it applies really easily.

Butter wax is a decent quick wax but found that it didn't last very long but produced a good shine and bedding factor. Since you like it, use it. As Mike says, if you find something that works, stick with it. I also tried that Petes wax and wasn't blown away with that at all. It was a bear to remove and didn't last as long as I had hoped.

CG repeats it self a lot in their product descriptions so just read reviews and research the best you can. I have a lot of their products so if you have any more questions I can see what I have and let you know.

I know Mark uses some of their stuff and might be able to guide you along with his opinion on it.

Where do you live? I'm in southern CA near Los Angeles. I'd be happy to give you some stuff to try out before you buy if you'd like. Its just sitting on my shelves now not getting used.

Good Luck, sorry for the long reply & hope this sheds some insight from my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick replies fellas!

Setec, it is defiantly a mystery how they come up with this stuff.

Ryan, I am using the PC 7424xp. This forum is very friendly. Sucks to hear the PC2 didn't work out so well.

Mobile, I am in Alabama. The Optical line is expensive. It is on the wacky one day sale and was the exact reason I asked about the price match. Durability in a sealant is something I am looking for. I tend to wax over it quite a bit though. I have two coats of Klasse on my car and three of BWW right now. I defiantly layer it up often. However, if the lower coat is breaking down and removing the upper layers that's a no go for me. Is the EZ acrylic a thick glaze or very thin? I have started to hate applying anything to the paint without using a black pad and the XMT product just gets soaked up for the most part. NP on the long reply, it was the information I was looking for. I don't detail for money, just enjoy keeping my car really clean and I do a few of my friends cars when I have the time.

Looks like I can get of the CG kick and start mixing and matching products to find what I am looking for.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

CG Products is extremely confusing....
    I have every WG Products other than the interior care and metal care line up, and im trying to dig into CG to replace Wolfgang... since CG is alot more affordable and tons of people is in love with them....

But no matter how hard i try understand their description, they all appear the same to me -_-

Post Thanks / Like

CG is OBVIOUSLY doing something right.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I like the CG washes but don't have the time nor the inclination to learn the rest of their products. I'll stick with Blackfire and Ultima. I can understand their offerings...
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone. Good to know I wasn't the only one lost.

I actually met with a local detailer and he is also the Adams dealer for my area. (sorry if I'm not supposed to mention a product AG doesn't carry.) I am trying a few of their products and so far impressed, but I'm so new to machine polishing I doubt I'd know the differences. When I start to run out of this stuff in a few months CG will have hopefully stepped their game up with product description.

For those who use EZ-creme, is it thick like meguiars #7 or watery?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast