autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

? on selecting qualified detailer

Hello,

Any advice on how to determine if detailer is going to do a high quality polishing job. What should I have him include in the statement of work. Dealership scratch hood of my black Range Rover and I got them to agree to polish my entire front clip (remove the scratches not just cover them up with filler glazes and waxes - i'm trying to insure this actually happens). Dealership highly recommends detailer, all of their vehicles are sent their. Should I have him include how many hours will be spent on the job? Polished used? Method? Rotary, DA,? (Detailer has been in business for 20 yrs, however my comment back to him was Ok, but how long has the employee who will be working on my vehicle been working in the profession.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Watch him? Most likely a detailer will be using a rotary and hopefully he will when working on a SCRATCH. Ask him to explain his process and post it on this forum. Ask for samples of his work if you can. Don't feel like you are asking too much, a car is a HUGE investment and it is natural to worry. Where are you located? Maybe you could get a pro here who could do it if you work something out with the dealer?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd ask him what if you end up with halograms and marring when you pull out in the sun, if he doesn't know what that is, don't let him touch the car lol. Depending on where your located I'd ask on here or Autopia for a qualified person near you. I've seen so many "I've been in business for 20 years, this is my job blah blah blah" shops that still don't know how to do good work and just slap the rotary on and have fun.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    Go ask him for some examples of his work. I know alot of detailers (not all) keep pictures of what they can do. Also ask if you can stick around for a few minutes to see whast going on (some will be really offended by this but i know personly if a customer wants to watch then good for themi have nothing to hide).
    As for what they use and the machine/pad ... there are lots of diffrent combos that will do the same thing so that question wont get you far. he could use a DA and get the paint perfect of use a rotary and leave the paint looking like crap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thks for the replies. It looks like I will need to find someone else. The detailer didn't want to put anything in writing. The dealership might have set a price with him which he knew he wasn't going to loose out for the type of detail I was looking for. Does anybody recommend someone in Greater Sacramento Metro Area of California.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ROVERHSE06
    Hello,

Any advice on how to determine if detailer is going to do a high quality polishing job. What should I have him include in the statement of work. Dealership scratch hood of my black Range Rover and I got them to agree to polish my entire front clip (remove the scratches not just cover them up with filler glazes and waxes - i'm trying to insure this actually happens). Dealership highly recommends detailer, all of their vehicles are sent their. Should I have him include how many hours will be spent on the job? Polished used? Method? Rotary, DA,? (Detailer has been in business for 20 yrs, however my comment back to him was Ok, but how long has the employee who will be working on my vehicle been working in the profession.

Thanks
    Why not just purchase a PC, some pads, polishes and do everything yourself?
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on doing that for the back half of vehicle but the front clip is being paid for. It also makes a good opporunity to see who can do a better job (a profession or a newbie with a PC)

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the scratch deep enough that it needs touch up or a respray? If it can't be felt with your fingernail (doesn't catch) a machine polish should fix it.
    I agree that you should speak directly to the detailer and get the plan of attack before letting him go at it.