autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: OK to Polish

deemer

OK to Polish

Is it OK to polish my corvettes everytime I wash and wax them which is every week during the summer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a lot of work every week, I dont think you will need to do that if you follow the proper technique for washing and drying you should only have to do a full polish about 2 times a year

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke33
    Thats a lot of work every week, I dont think you will need to do that if you follow the proper technique for washing and drying you should only have to do a full polish about 2 times a year
    yep

I however apply red machine glaze everytime for a rewax! the stuffs adictive.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm, i guess just be very careful how much you take off. just keep in mind that there is only so much clearcoat there. even so, i still think it'd. the cars will def. look kicka$$ though..
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6
    2000 Acura TL -- White Diamond Pearl
    1999 Honda CBR600 F4 - Midnight Black Pearl
    1996 Nissan Maxima -- Pebble Beige (RIP)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deemer
    Is it OK to polish my corvettes everytime I wash and wax them which is every week during the summer?
    Depnds what you mean by polish..

I would not use an abrasive polish more then a couple of times a year...Remember every time you polish you remove a minute layer of clear/paint and if you polish too much you could cause premature clear coat failure.

Here is what I'd recommend:

A non abrasive glaze - as often as you want

a finishing polish - once a month or every other month

medium aggressive polish - once or twice a year

heavy aggressive polish - once a year or less

Like Nuke33 said use good washing and drying techniques to help prolong having to polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blkyukon

I would not use an abrasive polish more then a couple of times a year...Remember every time you polish you remove a minute layer of clear/paint and if you polish too much you could cause premature clear coat failure.

Like Nuke33 said use good washing and drying techniques to prolong polishing.
    Just want to point out, that if you do a finishing polish every month or so, there shouldn't ever be a need to use a medium or heavy duty polish.

With that said, the only time I ever re-polish is when I want to start fresh with an LSP. The best way to strip off any old LSP for me is with XMT1 (ultra fine finishing polish) and a very light cutting pad. This would also help eliminate any hazing/micromarring that might have built up during washings/dryings/every day driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blkyukon

Like Nuke33 said use good washing and drying techniques to help prolong having to polish.

sound advice above ...learning to wash, dry and wax properly will take alot of polishing out of the equation.

Scott

deemer
    Thanks for all the responses. Being new to polishing corvettes (The only thing I ever did was wash and wax them) I plan on using Adams' products. Specifically, their Swirl/Haze remover and the polish along with a PC using the mildest Pad. Does this help in answering my original ?

I'm really concerned about doing any damage to either vette and if I did, you would see a grown man cry!!!! Therefore I want the best advise I can get. I will also ask the folks at Adams the same ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deemer
    Thanks for all the responses. Being new to polishing corvettes (The only thing I ever did was wash and wax them) I plan on using Adams' products. Specifically, their Swirl/Haze remover and the polish along with a PC using the mildest Pad. Does this help in answering my original ?

I'm really concerned about doing any damage to either vette and if I did, you would see a grown man cry!!!! Therefore I want the best advise I can get. I will also ask the folks at Adams the same ?
    It's been years since using Adams products but if I remember right his Swirl remover is very mild and full of fillers...but I still would not recommend polishing every week even with a finishing polish.

Proper washing and drying is very important, so here is what I'd recommend:

Start with prepping the surface (wash, clay, polish, wax)

Then to help keep the washing and drying induced swirls to a minimum use -

For washing:

• A Foam gun
    • 2 bucket method of washing
    • A good quality wash mitt and soap

For drying:

• Use the flooding method to remove the majority of water
    • Some type of forced air, ie. shop vac, compressor, etc.
    • Cobra Guzzler
    Also check out the videos on autogeek for techniques on washing and drying:

Pinnacle Natural Brilliance car care products are made of natural ingredients & modern science! souveran, signature series, carnauba, paintwork