autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Water less or rinse less wash that will not freeze...

Does anyone know of a waterless or rinseless wash (mix or premix) that does not freeze.

This is so that it may be left in the vehicle at all times (for those emergency bird deposits) being left in the vehicle may subject it to temps below freezing...a few times it may hit 0 Fahrenheit.

Anyone have any experience with this?
    '68 Chevy II Nova - Black
    '06 BMW 325xi - Graphite
    '11 BMW X5d - Vermilion

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water less or rinse less wash that will not freeze...

Quote Originally Posted by BMW View Post
    Does anyone know of a waterless or rinseless wash (mix or premix) that does not freeze.

This is so that it may be left in the vehicle at all times (for those emergency bird deposits) being left in the vehicle may subject it to temps below freezing...a few times it may hit 0 Fahrenheit.

Anyone have any experience with this?

You could mix in some alcohol, but of course that will strip your protection

Another thing you could do is heat the area your going to work on. You can do this by just parking the car where the Sun will hit the spot your concerned with
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's all going to freeze at 0. I keep an old bottle of Poorboy's BSR which is like concentrated Spray n' Wipe, and it freezes, but it thaws out ok. Make sure you have a bottle that won't crack when it freezes, the polyethylene seems to be ok. Bear in mind that usually when it's below the freezing point of your bird remover, it's also below the temperature where the poop will do anything to your paint other than be unsightly.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys...according to this article and research by Autoglym it isn't the acid within bird droppings that causes issues...it is actually thermal expansion and contraction of differing materials.

The real reason why bird droppings damage your car - Telegraph

Given how prone Indiana is to cold nights and above freezing sunny days the paint would easily have the opportunity to warm up enough to either active the acid and/or create thermal expansion to cause a deformation in the clear coat.
    '68 Chevy II Nova - Black
    '06 BMW 325xi - Graphite
    '11 BMW X5d - Vermilion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMW View Post
    Thanks for the input guys...according to this article and research by Autoglym it isn't the acid within bird droppings that causes issues...it is actually thermal expansion and contraction of differing materials.

The real reason why bird droppings damage your car - Telegraph

Given how prone Indiana is to cold nights and above freezing sunny days the paint would easily have the opportunity to warm up enough to either active the acid and/or create thermal expansion to cause a deformation in the clear coat.
    While temps might be a factor, I did some more digging after I read that article. There are actually quite a few studies on bird poo and paint, this is a good one to start with:

A mechanistic study of degradation of a typical automotive clearcoat caused by bird droppings

Post Thanks / Like

Oh sure, Yakky, post a link from a university in Teheran, so now we're all going to wind up on the terrorist watch list from looking at it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Oh sure, Yakky, post a link from a university in Teheran, so now we're all going to wind up on the terrorist watch list from looking at it
    When I read your post I thought, "whew...glad I didn't click on that link."

Then I proceded to post 5 to click on the first highlighted article and my eyes fooled me, in a hurry, and I clicked on the wrong link....Tehran, Iran...dang it. I didn't want to click on it either.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    When I read your post I thought, "whew...glad I didn't click on that link."

Then I proceded to post 5 to click on the first highlighted article and my eyes fooled me, in a hurry, and I clicked on the wrong link....Tehran, Iran...dang it. I didn't want to click on it either.
    I'm just yakking Yanky's chain...er...something like that...I think that article is from the Journal of Coatings Technology and Research (which is why it's in English), so we're (probably) safe. If I start hearing clicks on my phone and #### Cheney breathing I'll know I'm in trouble.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess my question is... what kind of bird droppings do you get in freezing weather?
    I don't see many things besides road salt flying around in winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belicoso View Post
    I guess my question is... what kind of bird droppings do you get in freezing weather?
    I don't see many things besides road salt flying around in winter.
    That's what I was trying to say, if a bird poops on your car during the winter, you pull out your WW from the trunk and wipe it off...if your WW is frozen, then the bird poop will freeze too...and it doesn't seem to do much to the paint when it's frozen (or cold, even). Anyway, that seems to be my experience, I don't ever remember getting an etch during the winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast