autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone worked on these particular cars?

Hello everyone! I have some cars to do full corrections (or just bring them back to life as much as I can) and I was wondering if anyone has worked on any of these particular cars. They range from 1948 to 1986-88 ish. I will post pictures of all the cars soon I just want to do my homework ahead of time and see if anyone has any experience with these cars and their paints and any recommendations if any.

Here is a list of the cars/ The cars on the links are not the actual cars just for a sense of what they look like.

1.) 1948 Dodge coupe

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1940-1948-dodge4.htm

I am certain that this car has single stage paint especially for the year. I am going to try the Glaze #7 method on this vehicle.

2.) 1978 Lincoln Town Car Limo

This thing is like an ordinary town car but the limo version. From what I saw it looks like this car was sprayed with a clear coat.

3.) 1979 Cadillac Seville

http://www.flickr.com/photos/that_chrysler_guy/3274754317/

4.) 1988 Tiffany (Apparently these cars are rare!)

http://members.cox.net/tiffanyclassic/owner.html

So these are pretty much the cars. If anyone has any knowledge on these cars or has worked with them let me know what you recommend. I have done classic and single stage cars as well as lacquer finishes so I can eventually figure it out lol.

I am sure the cars from the 80 have clear coat on them as well.
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone worked on these particular cars?

Good luck with those. There is a lot of paint on them honkin vehicles. Before and after, please.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimtyson View Post
    Good luck with those. There is a lot of paint on them honkin vehicles. Before and after, please.
    Kimtyson,
    These cars have TONS of real estate I think the limo counts as two cars put together and then some! I am going to order a gallon of Megs #7 glaze to bring the single stage paints back to life. I am going to be one busy man this winter.

I will make sure to take plenty of before and afters
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

I have worked on a 1987 Lincoln Town Car. It was the first vehicle I detailed and it was huge! I can't remember what pad or polish I used but using the PC I couldn't remove any swirls at all. So either it hard a rock hard clear or I was just very inexperienced.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rider9195 View Post
    I have worked on a 1987 Lincoln Town Car. It was the first vehicle I detailed and it was huge! I can't remember what pad or polish I used but using the PC I couldn't remove any swirls at all. So either it hard a rock hard clear or I was just very inexperienced.
    Oh yeah I hear ya on that one. The clear on this looks like hundreds of coats of clear coat haha. They must of used some crazy stuff back then. I will bust out the big boys for this monster of a car.
    Roland

opie_7afe

do the technique mike phillips says to do to find out if its SS or BC/CC paint, that technique is take some say m205 on a yellow applicator pad and rub onto the paint. if color comes off its SS. i believe lacquer finishes you treat like a SS except some of the paints need some heat to level out if i can remember correctly.just remember white single stage is really hard paint to buff compared to black single stage. reason for this is due to the white paint uses titanium dioxide for the pigment, while black uses carbon which is really soft. on another note that tiffany car from the side looks like a 1987 mercury cougar. good luck on these projects and hope you make some good cash on that limo(i honestly would charge nearly double of a normal car or do it 1.5x the ammount of a normal car.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! I've never done any of them...but I've done cars similar. Expect them to take longer than you thought...that's all I can say, haha.