autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Opti Coat 2.0 + wheels

One week of driving, about 320miles. Half highway half canyon carving. I painted the calipers two weeks ago and installed new front rotors and ceramic brake pads four weeks ago, they have had about 700miles on them. I did the rear rotors/pads last week.

I put opti coat 2.0 on the wheels about a month a ago when I did the rotors. I cleaned the car/wheels last Monday. I wash the car with optimum no rinse and use the left over water for the wheels. For the tries I use APC 1:15.

After a week of driving:

close up shots

50/50 shots. just used ONR and a brush

cleaning products. Daytona brush, cheap walmart fender brush, stiff dollar store tire brush, apc 1:15, home depo bucket put into a 10 gallon wet/dry vac so I got a bucket on wheels

All clean. I use a mf to dry the wheels, a terry cloth for the tires. Let them dry, then megs endurance dressing wit a foam applicator.

So far I am happy with opti coat on the wheels. when they are clean it adds a new layer of shine that i wasn't getting from collnite 845 or other waxes. opti coat really is like another layer of clear coat that enhances the paint. so easy to apply and used like 0.5ml to do four wheels. I haven't done the calipers yet. I haven't finished polishing the car so I no opti coat on the paint yet...

Sadly it left a lot of dust after a week of driving. I was hoping switching to ceramic brakes would help, maybe i bought cheap ones that dust like crazy. In all fairness I drove the car kinda hard this week. Had some fun in the mountains. Still I really hoped it would stay cleaner. I bought that armor all wheel protectant but haven't tried it yet. I wonder if I can put that over the opti-coat.

I wonder if adding more coats would add any benefit. Does wheels cleaner or APC remove opti coat 2.0?
    Owner of Green Mobile Car Spa
    2002 Chrysler Sebring coupe 3.0liter

Post Thanks / Like
    so it gave a decent shine on u wheels that even 845 couldn't duplicate? I may have to do my wheels then . as far as a 2nd coat . as far as I know it won't work . 2.0 will not bond to itself I heard . idk if a wheel cleaner or apc will remove 2.0 . all I know is on paint u have to use a compound maybe a polish to get it off. recomended to clean 2.0 on paint with poli-seal .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti Coat 2.0 + wheels

Did the Opti-Coat make it easier than it was before to clean the wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP, I think alot of brake dust has to do with driving spirited and there just Beading in also.

I have OC on my wheels to but only washed them off once so far and they spray clean with a pressure washer but I also went over it with OOC and didn't notice much brake dust at all after the pressure washer.

Post Thanks / Like

In looking at the before and after shots I can only assume that you are total impressed with this product!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tommythecat View Post
    Did the Opti-Coat make it easier than it was before to clean the wheels?
    Yes, the wheels were a bit easier to clean. Thinking about it now I was surprised by how easy it was.

Normally I wax my wheels every month to two months. Consdiering how dirty they were I would of use APC and rewaxed afterwards. The best part of opti coat I didn't need APC at all, just ONR. I think ONR is the safest way to wash something. I dunno the PH vaule, but I have been so impressed with ONR and with opti coat so far its a big two thumbs up.

If you guys are looking for an alterative to opti coat on wheels try armor all wheel protectant. heres a good review:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK2LsZJ2brg]‪Armor All Wheel Protectant Test on an Aston Martin‬‏ - YouTube[/video]
    Owner of Green Mobile Car Spa
    2002 Chrysler Sebring coupe 3.0liter