autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone not use a wheel cleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by bevans View Post
    Lol niiice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I remember when I first met her. When she realized what I did, I think she was trying to show me up or something

I went to her apt one Saturday morning and found her washing her car. She was using windex as car wash soap and an old gritty sponge. After she got the car dried off she whipped out this giant bag of fingernail polish and started sorting through the colors to find the right match for her car. I was so smitten with her at the time (still am) that I just looked on with amazement

Funny thing was, the fingernail polish she decided on matched her paint perfectly
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
    I just rinse down the wheel then begin washing with regular car wash soap and water. I've always done this and the wheels end up nice and clean.
    Yeap, I don't use a wheel cleaner unless absolutely necessary- which is generally only if cleaning a friends car that hasn't had the wheels cleaned in months.

On cars I normally maintain, car wash soap and a sponge/ boars hair brush to clean. Sometimes I use Meg's APC (regular green stuff) if I haven't cleaned the wheels for a few weeks- does a good job.
    Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic

Post Thanks / Like

I ued to use a wheel cleaner almost every time every time I washed, but now only use it if the wheels are really bad. Once I get a good coat of wax or wheel polish on the rims, most everything comes off with car soap and wheel brushes.

I usually use a tire cleaner. If they aren't real bad, just a tire brush.

Post Thanks / Like

I have steelies with plastic hubcaps so Gold Class and a wheel/tire brush gets the crud off. On neglected wheels I use Optimum Power Clean with a Raceglaze XL brush for the barrels. I used to use Meg's All Wheel Cleaner (OTC) but ditched it after reading about the damage that acidic wheel cleaners can do.
    My Versa probably looks better than yours

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrownKote View Post
    i wasn't trying to nag on you at all... just explaining the problems with using a highly caustic house cleaning product on a car's sensitive parts...
    I took no offense to it, so no worries. I have meguiars gold classic for the wash, so i'll sud up a brush and have at it with just tires next time. Wheels always get used with the gold classic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Yeap, I don't use a wheel cleaner unless absolutely necessary- which is generally only if cleaning a friends car that hasn't had the wheels cleaned in months.

On cars I normally maintain, car wash soap and a sponge/ boars hair brush to clean. Sometimes I use Meg's APC (regular green stuff) if I haven't cleaned the wheels for a few weeks- does a good job.
    Is the green megs APC at 4:1 safe for all wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

I personally have multiple wheel cleaners. I've tried using car wash soap...and it just doesn't do enough for me. When I want to get the inside of the wheel nice and clean...there's nothing like some wheel acid, or Sonax depending on the type of rim.

I've never gotten the results I want off of car wash soap. If the customer has been to me recently, and the rims are protected...then that's different. But most the time my customers visit once or twice a year. By that time...they need a good cleaning.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234