autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice needed for coating wheels

This past weekend I sat down and a set of new wheels prior to them being mounted this week. Going off the advice from a thread I started last week, I used the Cquartz sample I had on hand. While everything turned out OK, the experience left me with questions regarding the application process.

What type of applicator is everyone using? Wheels are more intricate than modern cars and the nice foam rubber block you wrap the suede cloths around are just too big and the wrong shape. I found a very firm, yet cheap, wash sponge at a big box store and cut it up to create my own applicator. This solved the size/shape problem, but even though I wrapped it with the suede squares, I think it absorbed far too much product.

On dark-ish satin wheels, how can you tell when the product flashes? The age of the product might be part of the problem (my sample was a year old), but in a 73*F air conditioned environment, the product seemed to start drying almost immediately after application. On shiny car paint the process is pretty straight forward and I've been able to watch it happen. Satin gun metal wheels? Whole different story... Since I couldn't make out high spots and it appeared to be drying really quickly, I simply ran my MF towel VERY lightly over the surfaces a minute or two after application just to cover all bases.

One positive lesson I learned from this experience: MF suede cloths are great for applying coatings. When applying the McKee's 37 coating in the past, I used the LC coating applicator. While it's good, I noticed it makes the coating look almost like it was brushed on while spreading and then the product self-levels to a smooth surface. With the suede cloths, the product goes on much smoother and leaves no spreading marks at all.

Once again, thanks in advance for any insight provided.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice needed for coating wheels

Airbrush is ideal for wheels. Saves a ton of time and makes even application in intricate areas a breeze. They can be had for cheap at Harbor Freight.

If you don't want to mess with spraying, then simply wrapping a microfiber suede cloth around your (gloved) finger can be a simple and effective way to get into tighter areas by hand.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no expert at coating wheels, but it might've been a good idea to coat them after the tires are mounted. They're sure to make a nice little mess when they mount the tires, possibly abrading away some of the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually coated a set of brand new rims for a client of mine this past weekend - they had just arrived in the country and were still sealed in their boxes. In terms of applicators, I used the one of those blocks with a suede applicator for the barrels, but the spokes/faces had such an intricate design, the block was useless. I too tried cutting up a foam applicator pad I usually use on waxes, but it did definitely suck up product, so I landed up literally wrapping a suede applicator around my finger and using that.

Maybe taking a piece of foam applicator and placing that inside a nitrile glove, then wrapping that in suede MF may work?

As for being able to see it flash, I can imagine the struggle on that particular color. I used Gyeon Rim which flashes off very quickly in my environment, so I was able to pretty much apply and buff off high spots immediately.

Oh and just as a side note, I have found that the larger suede applicators seems to work quite well as a glass cleaning towel.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the foam make up applicator pads for wheels and intricate areas. The GTechniq applicator pads are also great.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

I use PBL Wheel coating and use something like these Black Fine Flex Foam Finger Pockets - 3 Pack, cant find the ones I have, maybe AG doesn't carry them anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Cut up foam applicators work nice and quickly; dense enough that they don't absorb too much product: Griots Garage Hand Wax Applicators, Set of 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Airbrush is ideal for wheels. Saves a ton of time and makes even application in intricate areas a breeze. They can be had for cheap at Harbor Freight.

If you don't want to mess with spraying, then simply wrapping a microfiber suede cloth around your (gloved) finger can be a simple and effective way to get into tighter areas by hand.
    Is this tool fairly simple to learn how to use for a novice? Is there a sweet spot for tuning the spray pattern so that its not under/over applied?

Post Thanks / Like

You could always fold your suede applicator like Jeff (Gyeon rep) is showing in his photo. This does work pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    Is this tool fairly simple to learn how to use for a novice? Is there a sweet spot for tuning the spray pattern so that its not under/over applied?
    Very simple... practice with some water to determine the ideal settings to produce a nice flow of product without overdoing it.

It has been a while since I have sprayed wheels, but I believe we were typically around 25 PSI.

Retired Professional Detailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast