autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation bit of an odd question

OK, I have a bit of an odd question. I have a problem I'm not sure many people have had. We have a 1990 Honda Accord, all original paint (BC/CC system), and it seems that no matter how I prep or what wax or sealant I use, it will not stick to the paint. In essence, it's like it wears off after 2-3 weeks. A few examples: I applied Duragloss 105 to it once, and a week later took some pictures (see this thread) after it had rained, and the beading had noticeably decreased. Another time, I washed, clayed, and applied 1 coat of Klasse AIO and 3 coats of Klasse SG (over the course of a week), and within about 3 weeks it was like there was hardly any wax on it at all. Several weeks ago, I washed, clayed, applied DG 601 followed by 105, and then applied Collinite 476 the next day. Same thing - 3-4 weeks later, no signs of strong protection. A week ago, I did a wash with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash, clayed, and did a coat of Collinite 845. When I did a maintenance wash today, the beading was noticeably diminished. I typically notice a decrease in signs of protection on the horizontal panels first, followed by the vertical panels. I have had this problem for quite some time now, and after having tried everything I can think of, I am at my wit's end. I hate having to wax every 3-4 weeks out of necessity. This car is a daily driver that sits outside 24/7, BTW. My only thought is to do a weekly spray wax with either Optimum Car Wax or Meguiar's Synthetic XPress Spray Wax (which really won't work in the winter), or do a coating like CQuartz. I'm just afraid the coating won't "stick". This is the only one of our cars I have this problem on, so I don't think it's me. Any thoughts or theories on this? Is there something else I should try, or should I just accept this as unexplained phenomenon? Maybe I should call in Agent Mulder to investigate? Thanks for your help guys!

Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: bit of an odd question

Sounds like maybe that paint is reaching the end of its life. I had a mirror that had incipient CC failure on it and I could wax it with something like #16 and it would look ok for about a week. I'm just wondering if you aren't on the edge of the CC starting to disappear and that is the reason for the lack of longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Sounds like maybe that paint is reaching the end of its life. I had a mirror that had incipient CC failure on it and I could wax it with something like #16 and it would look ok for about a week. I'm just wondering if you aren't on the edge of the CC starting to disappear and that is the reason for the lack of longevity.
    Could be, but I just don't see any signs of potential CC failure. This pic is from about a year ago:

and the car still looks like that. No faded or hazy spots, no white spots, no checking marks, nothing of that nature. I suppose I could try to find a detailer around that had a paint meter who could tell me the shape the paint is in, but I don't know. Do you think a coating would help or be a waste of money in this case?
    Shane

Post Thanks / Like

Well, sounds like you've inspected pretty thoroughly for CC issues. I dunno...the pollen has been wreaking havoc on my LSP's for the past few weeks, could it be as simple as that?

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting... I do find the pollen to be brutal this year tho. That is a possibility. Nubas haven't lasted too long so far this year but it seems like UPGP is holding up very well for me. I had Fuzion on my truck and after 3 weeks the beading qualities were greatly diminished due to the pollen.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

bump
    Shane