autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dual Action Polisher Experience on Lexus LS460 paint?

Can anyone comment on their experience in using a Dual Action Polisher on LS460 paint?

How soft is the paint? How aggressive of a pad did you use and what products?

Given my lack of experience and request to not trash the paint on first attempt, Mike Phillips & AG team sold me on the following products to remove spider swirls on my Lexus this weekend:

Meguiars G110V2 Dual Action Polisher
    Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay
    Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 Kit
    Pinnacle Souverän Wax

Here is my PLAN & cheat sheet/instructions from AG's website for my weekend project:

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay PLUS Special
    Wash and dry vehicle before claying.

Mist a small section, approximately 2 square feet, with Pinnacle Clay Lubricant.

Mist Clay Bar

Rub a Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay bar back and forth across the wet area using very little pressure. It will grab initially; this is the clay grabbing contaminants that protrude above the paint surface. Continue to rub until the bar glides freely.

Once the clay glides smoothly across the paint, it’s clean. Use a Cobra Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber towel to wipe off any remaining lubricant and clay residue.

Keep any eye on the condition of the clay bar. If it appears soiled, reshape the clay to reveal a clean portion before using it on the next section. If you drop the clay bar on the ground, discard it.

To store the clay, mist it with Pinnacle Clay Lubricant and wrap it in a plastic bag. Store it in the original plastic storage case.

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0
    Apply Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 out of direct sunlight.
    Get water mist spray bottle
    Test area
    White pad 1st, then Course Green, then Orange
    Setting: 5 or 6 on a dual action polisher
    2X2 foot sections
    Check your work after several passes to see if the defect has been removed. If so, reduce the pressure and continue buffing until a high gloss is achieved.
    If the pad becomes dry, mist it with water and continue buffing.
    Wipe the polished area with a damp microfiber cloth.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0
    Apply out of direct sunlight.
    Use a soft foam White finishing pad.
    With the polisher turned off, spread the polish over about a 2 x 2 sq. ft. area.
    Polish at 1000-1200 RPM (4 to 4.5 on a dual action polisher) working slowly across and then up and down the area. Check your work after several passes to see if the defects have been removed. If so, reduce the pressure and continue buffing until a high gloss is achieved. If the pad becomes dry, mist it with Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz and continue buffing.
    Wipe the polished area with a damp microfiber cloth.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
    If applying by machine, use a blue finessing pad. Using a dual action polisher, set the maximum speed to 4.5 and work in overlapping sections until the entire vehicle is covered. Apply a very thin, even coat.
    Once the vehicle is covered, wait 30-45 minutes before buffing off the sealant. Use a microfiber towel or a microfiber bonnet on your polisher.
    This product is moisture-sensitive. In order to achieve a slick, durable finish, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 must cure for at least 12 hours before being exposed to moisture. Park your vehicle in a garage or under a shelter while it is curing, if possible.

Pinnacle Souverän Wax
    Put a plastic sandwich bag or a microfiber glove over your hand and work the wax out of the jar. Rub the wax onto a soft Red foam finishing pad.
    Turn the dual action polisher on between 3 and 4.
    Apply Souverän™ in a thin, even coat over one panel at a time. There is no need to apply pressure.

Buff using the included towel or a microfiber bonnet over a White, Blue or Red pad. Turn the bonnet inside out if it becomes caked with wax.
    Maintain the crisp, clear reflection with regular applications of Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detail Spray.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What would you do differently?

I tested the above plan on my wife's brown Buick Enclave last weekend and the results were well worth the 7 hour effort...smooth, super deep, high gloss finish!

No goofs on the paint...but I did drop the exposed Souverän Wax on the driveway when i took it out of the plastic container...ouch...$95 and thinking about throwing it away

Mike in ATL

2009 LS460, ML, NAV, Sport Wheels, 4900 miles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dual Action Polisher Experience on Lexus LS460 paint?

Sounds OK to me. I used WG on my wife's black 2011 Lexus the other weekend and got excellent results. I used a white pad for both the TSR and FG, but I was being conservative for the first polish. It got about 80% of the defects. Now that I know how the paint reacts, I'm planning on getting the rest over Memorial Day and then CQuartz it.

One thing I would skip is drying the car after wash. Just mist it with lube and clay.

Post Thanks / Like

HeavyMetal

Thanks for the comments!

You are giving me more confidence to start with the "course green" and possibly orange pad. If you got 80% with a white pad, I am thinking a course green would be right on the money...

I understand your statement about not drying car after washing...I didn't dry my wife's car after washing. However, I added that step to my cheat sheet since it took me another 30 minutes to get the water spots off her chrome wheels at the end of the day...maybe next time I will just dry the chrome..

Cheers
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what a coarse green pad is. I use the 5.5" Lake Country flat pads. If you're not using those your results may differ.

As far as washing, I'm fast becoming a no rinse convert. The No Rinse car washes use a lot less water, take less time, don't leave water spots and you get a nice gloss since you're pretty much washing with quick detailer. I use DP No Rinse, but Optimum also gets a lot of recommends.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me
    Your Souveran is toast tho... Let me PM you my address and you can send it to me and I will discard it properly :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, see you are also from the south, I always dry the car before claying, and you see why, waterspots.
    Scott

Club Flex 3401

Post Thanks / Like

You should break pieces off the clay bar. Easier to work with and safety against dropping.

You can scrape or cut the contiminated wax the main chunk
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

HeavyMetal: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine looks like the way to go!
    The Coarse Green Cutting/Polishing Foam 5.5" pad fits between the Orange and White pads in cutting ability --- This foam is of medium density with the ability to level very fine scratches and very light oxidation.

dougaross: good idea...I will trim my Souverän Wax with a blade to remove any grit that I can't see as a result of dropping on the driveway

Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction!

Mike in ATL

Post Thanks / Like

HeavyMetal: Here's a link to the Lake Country’s CCS Dual Action Smart Foam Pads:

CCS Coarse Green Cutting/Polishing Foam Pad

This foam is of medium density with the ability to level very fine scratches and very light oxidation. Use light swirl removers with the green coarse pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by highroler View Post
    HeavyMetal: Here's a link to the Lake Country’s CCS Dual Action Smart Foam Pads:

This foam is of medium density with the ability to level very fine scratches and very light oxidation. Use light swirl removers with the green coarse pad.
    OK, no idea of how they will work. Like I said, I use the 5.5" flat pads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast