autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hard well water

Post Thanks / Like

hard well water

Long story short, the house I do detailin at has well water. The people who owned the house had a water softener put in as well. I think there might be too much salt in the water because its hazy when I fill a bucket, but it settles within a few minutes. I'm having a hard time detailing cars because almost no matter what, after a traditional wash I am getting spots within 1-2 minutes. I have a black car and if its sunny when I am washing it I can't even get to the next panel before the water drys and there is spots.
    I do ONR washes sometimes and I get better results as long as I dry every inch very well.
    These water spots aren't the type that need to be buffed, but will come off with QD or a rewash.
    I'm concerned because I don't want it to take twice as long to do customers cars because of chasing down these spots.
    I also don't do enough car to be able to afford a $500+ filtration system. I don't know if that's just typical of well water or if its because of so much salt in the system.
    Please help what can I do to help?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: hard well water

go to grocery store and buy like 4gallons of distilled water..shouldnt cost more then 3bucks or so..after you do the final rinse of the car with the hose...pour the distilled water all over car..water spot problem fixed. if you do ONR then just use the distilled water for the onr buckets..wont have any spots then either

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm that's an idea. I would probably have to buy 1 for each car.
    I don't know that much about water but here is a pic of a big spot. They are usually smaller than this but this is a good example. Just a theory, but maybe too much salt is causing it to dry so fast and leaving behind this milky film.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd call the a water softener company, and see about getting what you have fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

Salt has nothing to do wit it. Salt is used as Brine to soften water. You can not taste the water from water softener. Softener will get rid of water hardness (iron) but you will still get other minerals such as Calcium. Like you were told get few gallons of distilled water and use a $30.00 2 gallon pump sprayer for final rinse.Make sure you get DISTILLED and not Deionized water.
    Just my 2 cetns worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Calcium and Magnesium are what causes water spots.

Post Thanks / Like

We bring Distilled Water with us for all our mobile washing. We don't use the customers water at all.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

you can also invest in this..I have one of these for my Reef tank but I also use it sometimes to make water to pour over my car so there is no water spots even if I dont dry it..since it makes pure 0tds water..You could use it and make water the night before you go out detailing
    75 GP 4 Stage RO System (no DI) - English

The pre filters are very cheap to replace..about 6bucks each and last for a good while..the membrane are usually good for about 2000gal. they are not that expensive to replace either..

Post Thanks / Like

Are there filters available to remove calcium and magnesium from the water? I'd love something that I could hook on to my garden hose for at home washing. Between the 2 Harley's the boat, the 2 trucks and the cargo trailer I wash at home a lot!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast