autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Brinkmann vs Quark123

I hope this is in the right section. I did not want to put this in the product review area as I am posting my opinion of a Autogeek product against a outside product.

My customer today was the president of 4Seven Flashlights (http://www.4Seven.com) and after seeing my Brinkmann light, which is probably the most common detailing light on the market, wanted me to review his Quark123 Tactical against the Brinkmann as a detailing friendly light.

Everyone knows that the Brinkmann is the most common light on the market. Most cost effective, rechargeable, portable and bright. Not a bad thing to have for $31.99. Unforently everyone knows it is rather bulky and for those that try and use it as a light spot on a paint, if you do not have a tripod for your camera its rather hard to do. Another bad side to the light is that it only has a run time of a few hours before it needs to be recharged.

Now the 4Seven Quark123 Tactical is a new flashlight, that really has zero following for detailing. Though, I think it has the capability to be the number one light. At a price of around $60 pending where you buy from, it is not that expensive for a LED style light. The light is very small and easily carried in a pocket, detailing bag, etc. Easily handle-able, extremely portable and unbelievably bright for such a small light. Unforently it is not rechargable, but it does have a run time of 4.5 hours. But is easily handled for using it as a light source on paint to take pictures.

Here is the case the flashlight comes in...very nice case.

Comes with two extra batteries, a hand grip, carrying case for it and a necklace attachment.

Now here is a picture of it against the Brinkmann...

Notice it is about a quarter of the size. Now here is some shots on the paint of a vehicle I was washing that had never been buffed in its life.

Brinkmann...

Quark123 Light Shots...

Notice that the Quark123 shots scratches on the paint MUCH better than the Brinkmann. In person it shows a much larger area.

Overall a great light for mobile detailers to carry around to show customers the condition of there paint, rather than walking around with the Brinkmann in tow. The Quark123 feels much more well built and could withstand a few good drops on the ground. Now I do not know how this would compare to the SunGun that is about 3-4 times its value, but I do know that just from the size of this light and how bright it is, it is going to be my new go to light for showing customers the condition of there paint and for checking over work.

Mike - Mirror Detailing - Powder Springs, GA
    R.I.P. Matt Eddy(SouthrnStyle) 11/26/2010

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brinkmann vs Quark123

Also realized I put the website link in wrong...should have been 4Sevens - 4Sevens.Com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Detailing View Post
    Also realized I put the website link in wrong...should have been 4Sevens - 4Sevens.Com
    You know that links are not allowed.

Post Thanks / Like

Dewalt sell their at Lowe's and it has the same bulb, and the battery also works in many other dewalt tools...

Had mine for 10 years,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    You know that links are not allowed.
    Well ####...Well one of the mods will roll through and remove them for me since I am past the edit post window.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SATMAN40 View Post
    Dewalt sell their at Lowe's and it has the same bulb, and the battery also works in many other dewalt tools...Had mine for 10 years,
    Do you mean the LED or the Xenon bulb?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with your post, I use a Fenix TK10 with very good results. I picked up a few rechargeable 123A cells, and they last just long enough for a detail job.
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for sharing your write-up with pics. i'm not a fan of the brinkmann and have had two go bad (one didn't work right out of the package), and they seem to be disposable and not to mention the battery life on them aren't very good. will never buy one again...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

LED flashlights are definitely the way to go. After having some trouble viewing defects with the Brinkmann, I started looking for another light. At first, I considered the 3M Sun Gun, but ended up going with a Fenix TK45. The light output is incredible and actually a bit brighter than one of my car headlights...

I find that over a certain brightness level, I can't see anything. The TK45 has three LED's, which help to spread the light out of a greater area. Some LED flashlights will throw a long distance, but I value the spread for detailing.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
    LED flashlights are definitely the way to go. After having some trouble viewing defects with the Brinkmann, I started looking for another light. At first, I considered the 3M Sun Gun, but ended up going with a Fenix TK45. The light output is incredible and actually a bit brighter than one of my car headlights...

I find that over a certain brightness level, I can't see anything. The TK45 has three LED's, which help to spread the light out of a greater area. Some LED flashlights will throw a long distance, but I value the spread for detailing.
    Chris,

What brightness level do you use with the TK45 on paint?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast