autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile 1st AutoDetailing Kit

Hello AutoGeeks,

I'm RJ and I'm totally new to the world of AutoDetailing. I didn't realize how visual maintenance of a car can be so intricate until I found this website. Needless to say, I'm quite excited to work on my car and start learning from there.

I have a '10 Subaru Forester - Blue. Overall, its appearance is still in pretty good condition except for some scratches & paint chips on the left side of the fender caused by City Plow Trucks during this past winter.

Right now, I'm compiling a list of things I need to buy to get me started:

1. Washing Shampoo - Optimum No Rinse Wash or DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss or Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo
    2. Clay - Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay
    3. Compound - Pinnacle XMT #3 - #4 (I'm gonna try to use a rubbing compound first to fix the scratch I've mentioned.)
    4. Sealant/Polish - Klasse All in One Polish (any other suggestions?)
    5. Glaze - maybe later on (any suggestions?)
    6. Wax - Collinite #845 or Meguiar's Gold Class Carnuba or Mothers California Gold Carnuba Wax or Poorboy Liquid's Natty Blue Wax
    7. Quick Detailer - I'll make use of the Optimum No Rinse Wash
    8. Wheel Cleaner - Mothers All Wheel and Tire Cleaner (any other suggestions?)
    9. Tire Dressing - DP Gloss Tire Gel
    10. Buffer - still looking but probably the Black & Decker Random Orbital Polisher (can't afford the ones that cost hundreds of $$$)
    11. Towel - Mango Freeze Microfiber
    12. Applicator Pads / Brush - local store probably

I'm trying to keep my list as economical as possible yet still achieving the best possible quality. I could use all the suggestions and help you guys can offer. I can't wait to get my hands dirty once it gets a lil warmer.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st AutoDetailing Kit

RJ welcome to AG.

As for your your list. Looks like you got a start to some good stuff.

I'd probably try to save up some cash and get yourself like a PCxp 7424 or a GC DA along with a collection of pads. Doing a paint correction by hand probably will be near impossible.

I've sent you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm green as grass when it comes to this stuff, but, I was not impressed by the Mango Breeze Microfiber....The description of the towels says "thin" and they mean it.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site. If I were you (knowing what I know now that is) I'd drop that entire list with exception to the Optimum Rinseless Wash and Shine and spend the money on a Griot's Garage 6" dual action polisher
    Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher and a 3 pack of pads. Lake Country Hydro-Tech 6.5 Inch Foam Pads, water-based polish pads, foam buffing pads, hydro tech pads
    This way the cart is not in front of the horse so to speak and you can pack up a bottle of Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, a cheap wax and some cheap microfiber. If you are on such a tight budget you should cheap on the products (Walmart) and allow the process (machine) to do most of the work for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok attempting to send a PM - server looks like it might be having problems

Still a no go. I've cut and pasted my response into a text editor so when the server comes back up I'll send it then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kb2ehj View Post
    RJ welcome to AG.

As for your your list. Looks like you got a start to some good stuff.

I'd probably try to save up some cash and get yourself like a PCxp 7424 or a GC DA along with a collection of pads. Doing a paint correction by hand probably will be near impossible.

I've sent you a PM.
    Thanks for responses!

Seems like everyone is suggesting the PC 7424XP to be added on my list. I guess it's that good. What's so special about it that makes it better than the Black & Decker Random Orbital Polisher I had in mind?

Also, can I use the Klasse All In One Polish on my wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like what is commonly referred to as a wax spreader.

Probably not going to get much correction work done with it.

Post Thanks / Like

The Random Orbital Polisher is a different machine than a Dual Action Polisher. One is meant to spread wax and one is meant to correct paint defects. The Dual Action Polisher has a higher RPM and the pad spins two different ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kb2ehj View Post
    That looks like what is commonly referred to as a wax spreader.

Probably not going to get much correction work done with it.
    Hmmm sounds interesting. Ok, I'll see if I can manage to get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Welcome to the site. If I were you (knowing what I know now that is) I'd drop that entire list with exception to the Optimum Rinseless Wash and Shine and spend the money on a Griot's Garage 6" dual action polisher
    Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher and a 3 pack of pads. Lake Country Hydro-Tech 6.5 Inch Foam Pads, water-based polish pads, foam buffing pads, hydro tech pads
    This way the cart is not in front of the horse so to speak and you can pack up a bottle of Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, a cheap wax and some cheap microfiber. If you are on such a tight budget you should cheap on the products (Walmart) and allow the process (machine) to do most of the work for you.
    I'll ditto what Dave sez (hi Dave, how you been, gimme a call and stop over). Only diff I'd do is 6 pak of LC 5.5 flat pads. If you're just doing your own car they'll do just fine and they're a bit cheaper. You can get very good MF towels at Wally World or Autozone, along with a good MF wash mitt and wheel brushes. I use Meg's Gold Class Car Wash and it's fine - 9.99 at Autozone - but any of the Meg's line is probably better than what you're using now. Add in a decent wax like Meg's Gold Class and you're set for a start.

You do need a good DA and pads to properly polish your car, so TD is right, spend your money on the horse first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast