autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Now we all know that dish wash is bad for your car, how about the reverse?

How about using car wash soap to wash my dishes??
    Most importantly, if car wash soap (not those with wax or polymers) is rinsed clean, will that be harmful to human?
    Some cooking utensils are coated with chemicals like PTFE (Tefl0n), will car wash soap attack those coatings?

The reason that I am asking this is because I found dish wash will make the glass, ceramics and china to look dull after a few years. I suppose car wash soap will be more gentle than dish wash soap... While I do not intend to wax my dishes and admire the water beading while I eat, using car wash soap may help to keep my ceramics/china shiny eh??

Any idea?
    I may be using Gold Class, NXT, Sonax, Autoglym or 3M car wash, possibly Optimum car wash too...
    If there are any representatives from manufacturers, please give some feedback

P.S.: You know you are seriously addicted to auto detailing when you want to apply your detailing products around your home...
    Exotic Auto Detail trade review / feedback:
    Think twice if you're going to trade with ExoticAutoDetai.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Now we all know that dish wash is bad for your car, how about the reverse?

dont think car soap would have the bacteria killing agents in it like dish soap would have.

Post Thanks / Like

It probably wouldnt cut through grease and food either as its a milder soap

Post Thanks / Like

Thae main reason for using dish soap on cars is its oil, grease and wax cutting ability. Food has a lot of oils, fats and waxes in it. Do you really think your car shampoo that's designed to not cut your nice carnuba wax job is really gonna clean steak grease and waxy fat off your dishes?

The dull on your good china and crystal is film from your water and improper rinsing. Get a good dish rinse and use distilled or DI water.

Post Thanks / Like

Dish wash soap bad for your car? This is news to me.

I use Dawn all the time for pre/post correction washes.
    2009 Summit White Cobalt SS/TC SOLD
    2007 Black Cobalt LT - Daily Driver

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt9123 View Post
    Dish wash soap bad for your car? This is news to me.

I use Dawn all the time for pre/post correction washes.
    Some say if used too often it will dry out the plastic trim on your car and make it fade. I choose not to use dawn ,but I've never seen any adverse affects myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Like HM said, dishwashing detergent was designed to get dishes squeaky clean, and remove all wax, baked on stuck on grease, oils and cooked on food residue, which is difficult stuff to remove. as 05X said, some dishwaahing detergents are antibacterial (not all, though) and car wash soap is not. The dullness on your dishes is quite possibly due to the minerals in the water forming calcium deposits on them which make them dull. Either dry your dishes after washing,or use filtered water to rinse them with. I'm sure you could polish your dishes to remove the dullness.
    Not all car wash soaps are the same, and so a car wash soap may not rinse clean. You might even be able to taste the car wash soap residue on your dishes when you lick them. I doubt that it is completely safe to ingest traces of car wash soap, as it wasn't designed to be used on dishes, and thus, it may not be nontoxic enough. Frankly, the fact that it occurred to you that the ingredients in car wash soap might not be good for you is an indication that deep down, you know it isn't a good idea to use it for dishes, but you wanted to ask others, just to get a confirmation of your very accurate judgment on the matter.
    As an aside, I SUPPOSE that you might be able to wax your dishes with an all natural car wax, like Zymol, which, as I understand it, uses or used food quality ingredients, however, I would still definitely wash off that wax before you ate off them. If looking at really shiny dishes is your thing, then I suppose there is a way to improve that. Maybe there is even wax for dishes, designed to make them nice for display only, for museums and such. Who knows? Maybe there are even dish shows, where people show off their rare dishes, like car shows that we don't know about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthornone View Post
    Maybe there is even wax for dishes, designed to make them nice for display only, for museums and such. Who knows? Maybe there are even dish shows, where people show off their rare dishes, like car shows that we don't know about.
    Actually, yes. My wife and I collect 19th and early 20th century American ceramics and decorative glassware. High glaze ceramics can be protected with carnuba or beeswax. For bronzes you use beeswax. Glassware is simply washed and rinsed well. You can buy rinses. Just use the ones you find in the soap isle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn dish soap is good before doing any correction. It removes all the oils and waxes for a good inspection after your done correcting i wouldnt use dish soap anymore.
    Hi !

Post Thanks / Like

The reason that I am asking this is because I found dish wash will make the glass, ceramics and china to look dull after a few years. I suppose car wash soap will be more gentle than dish wash soap... While I do not intend to wax my dishes and admire the water beading while I eat, using car wash soap may help to keep my ceramics/china shiny eh??

Must be nice to be able to afford fancy glass/ceramics/china. I don't have to worry about any 'dulling' on my dishes/drinkware sets----http:/www.dixie.com----(just kidding around)

Seriously: Why not just use chemicals for the purpose they are so formulated?
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast