autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Review my process

Spring detail is coming up after a rough WI winter. I'm still really new to detailing and after reading thousands of threads I feel like I have a good plan but just want to double check to make sure I'm doing it right and not leaving anything out.

I will be detailing my GF's 2007 Saturn Aura (black) that never sees anything but an automatic car wash. This winter she had a little brush with the garage door and has a few scuffs on the side of the car, I doubt I will be able to get them all the way out but my biggest goal is to minimize their appearance. Wetsanding or using a rotary are out as I just don't have enough experience and am not interested in paying to respray the side of her car. I do have a PC DA that I will be using. Here's my plan, let me know if anything should be adjusted, added or taken out. Be as critical as you want, I have thick skin and I'm here to learn.

Foam gun to loosen everything up
    Two bucket wash
    Clay (ultra poly)
    Should I wash again here or just go to polishing?
    Megs 105 w/ orange or yellow pad
    Megs 205 (unsure which pad, gray?)
    Natty's blue paste wax

She keeps the interior pretty clean so I figure a quick vacuum then DP interior cleaner & protectant should do the trick.

I already have the Natty's blue and the DP interior combo which is why I mentioned using those particular products. The 105, 205 and clay I would have to order but the results I have seen make me really want to try them and I think with the scuffs from the door I will need as much of a cut as I can safely get.

For my truck (2010 Taupe gray metallic Silverado) I will use pretty much the same process but probably skip the 105 since the paint is still in pretty good condition. Would just 205 then Natty's give good results or would I be better off saving the time and getting a one step? If a one step would be my best option what one do you recommend?

Thanks for any and all help on this one guys, like I said I'm here to learn so let me hear your opinion. It will be a while until this happens, we just got 12" of ice and snow yesterday but once I get to it I will be sure to post pictures.

One last side note, I have been debating getting a cheap (McCullough from HF) steam cleaner vs a Tornador from AG. Biggest thing holding me back is I don't have an air compressor for the Tornador so I would have to add that to the cost and money isn't exactly easy to come by these days. Which of those do you think would give me better results? I have rubber floors in my truck so only the headboard and seats are fabric that I would have to deal with. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review my process

Quote Originally Posted by marineman227 View Post
    Two bucket wash
    Clay (ultra poly)
    Natty's blue paste wax

For my truck (2010 Taupe gray metallic Silverado) I will use pretty much the same process but probably skip the 105 since the paint is still in pretty good condition. Would just 205 then Natty's give good results or would I be better off saving the time and getting a one step? If a one step would be my best option what one do you recommend?

I personally don't wash after claying. When using 205, a white pad is my usual choice. Otherwise it sounds like you have a good plan! I do however suggest 5.5 inch pads!

As far as an AIO, they are quicker and there are some that produce very good results.....but IMO if you are looking to save some coin, just stick with the 205 and Natty's. Its a little more work but chances the end result will be better!

Post Thanks / Like

no doubt you already picked out quality products,dont forget to get something for a clay lube-i like either onr or dp,plus they are a versatile product.they are both a rinseless product and work as a clay lube

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

5.5" Pads are all I have, I have already forgot most of what I learned but I think I remember reading the PC didn't quite have the guts to do any major cutting with bigger pads.

Thanks for the tip on the clay lube, I will probably order some ONR with the reviews it has here and it seems like in different dilutions it can be used for anything.

Post Thanks / Like

You could also do a final "jeweling" process, which consist of Menzera PO85RD with a CCS grey pad. You'll be amazed with the results! Food for thought..
    I don't want it to look wet, I want it to look Soaked!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm new here also, some people I've read have said they do go back and do a 2nd wash after the clay...Just personal preferrence I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I personally don't wash after claying. When using 205, a white pad is my usual choice. Otherwise it sounds like you have a good plan! I do however suggest 5.5 inch pads!

As far as an AIO, they are quicker and there are some that produce very good results.....but IMO if you are looking to save some coin, just stick with the 205 and Natty's. Its a little more work but chances the end result will be better!

Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

I will be detailing my GF's 2007 Saturn Aura (black) that never sees anything but an automatic car wash. This winter she had a little brush with the garage door and has a few scuffs on the side of the car, I doubt I will be able to get them all the way out but my biggest goal is to minimize their appearance.
    The "scuffs" from the garage door will probably take a little more than buffing to get them out unless the contact was so slight their barely noticeable. These will more than likely need mechanical repair with color and clear.

Wetsanding or using a rotary are out as I just don't have enough experience and am not interested in paying to respray the side of her car. I do have a PC DA that I will be using. Here's my plan, let me know if anything should be adjusted, added or taken out. Be as critical as you want, I have thick skin and I'm here to learn.
    I think it best to leave the wet sanding for another time where you've had time to practice on something a little less critical otherwise it will get expensive..

Two bucket wash
    Clay (ultra poly)
    Natty's blue paste wax
    Foam guns do a nice job soaking everything down and dissolving some of the grime. The products you mention are very good quality and should perform well. since your girl friends car has basically seen only an automatic car wash just about anything you do to it will be a noticeable improvement.

Some people wash after claying but I don't and never have, it's merely personal preference. Occasionally I might with the area with a towel but that's about it.

I already have the Natty's blue and the DP interior combo which is why I mentioned using those particular products. The 105, 205 and clay I would have to order but the results I have seen make me really want to try them and I think with the scuffs from the door I will need as much of a cut as I can safely get.
    Meguiar's M105 and M205 are sort of an industry standard, They are great products and when used together give some nice results.

Meguiar's M105 is considered a compound for removing heavy defects such as scratches and deep swirls that haven't gone through the clear coat. Typically this product will remove scratches up to about 1500 grit.

Meguiar's M205 is a polish and when used after Meguiar's M105 produces a fabulous shine. This product works well with both Lake Country white then gray pads and will remove scratches up to about 2000 - 2500 grit.

Always start off less aggressive and do a test spot to determine the strategy of your attack. If you find that using Meguiar's M205 with a Lake Country green then white pad removes enough surface defects to your satisfaction then there's no need to use anything courser.

Natty's Blue is a nice wax on darker colors. If you're looking for more protection add a sealant line Menzerna Power Lock after polishing and before waxing. This will add another layer which will beef up the protection and add depth.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette