autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsvbGarageGalleryDetailing How To'sDetailing How ToFacebookTwitterYouTube

Go Back   Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum > Auto Detailing Forums > Auto Detailing 101

Register FAQ Upload Photos Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Instagram
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
G37
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 43
How long can you safely leave dead bugs on front bumper?

I wash my car every Saturday unless it rains. Almost after every wash I take it for a weekend drive and I usually get about give or take 5 dead bug splatters on the front bumper. I have been using Optimum Opti Clean to remove them as soon as I get home.
I am concerned about touching the paint to remove the bugs so my question is is it safe to leave the dead bugs on the bumper for a week until it get washed again?
__________________
Cris
G37 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
SeaJay's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Billerica, MA
Posts: 3,069
Re: How long can you safely leave dead bugs on front bumper?

If it's me and I had just washed the car and got back with bugs all over it, I'd remove them asap. Bug guts can cause etching in the paint. I don't know the exact amount of time that they would have to sit there but it can etch the paint. So your better off safe than sorry and just take the couple minutes to remove them.
SeaJay's is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Director of Training
 
Mike.Phillips@Autogeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 47,815
Re: How long can you safely leave dead bugs on front bumper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post

If it's me and I had just washed the car and got back with bugs all over it, I'd remove them asap. Bug guts can cause etching in the paint. I don't know the exact amount of time that they would have to sit there but it can etch the paint. So your better off safe than sorry and just take the couple minutes to remove them.
Ditto...

Remove them as soon as possible...


If bug splatter remains on your car's finish long enough it will actually eat into and remove both the clear layer of paint and the basecoat layer of paint and the only way to fix this will be to apply touch-up paint, (hard to do all over the car), or have the area re-painted, or have the entire front clip repainted.

Bug Spatter can actually eat through and remove paint if left on too long...


Warning
It's a lot less expensive to save your car's factory finish by removing the splatter as fast as you can and thus stop any damage before it's too late. If you live in an area where bugs are a problem or if you're taking a road trip where bug splatter will be a problem, prepare an Emergency Bug Removal Kit and pack it in your car.
Mike.Phillips@Autogeek is online now  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Scott DeBrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Franklinton NC
Posts: 608
Re: How long can you safely leave dead bugs on front bumper?

Until you get hungry then just scrape them off and chow down.
Scott DeBrun is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
G37
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 43
Re: How long can you safely leave dead bugs on front bumper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
Ditto...

Remove them as soon as possible...


If bug splatter remains on your car's finish long enough it will actually eat into and remove both the clear layer of paint and the basecoat layer of paint and the only way to fix this will be to apply touch-up paint, (hard to do all over the car), or have the area re-painted, or have the entire front clip repainted.

Bug Spatter can actually eat through and remove paint if left on too long...


Warning
It's a lot less expensive to save your car's factory finish by removing the splatter as fast as you can and thus stop any damage before it's too late. If you live in an area where bugs are a problem or if you're taking a road trip where bug splatter will be a problem, prepare an Emergency Bug Removal Kit and pack it in your car.
Thanks, My bug cleaning kit includes Optimum Opti Clean and a plush MF towels.
I prime the MF towel with Opti Clean first then spray generously the area with the bug and gently wipe making sure not to wipe with a previously used section of the towel.

BTW you thread on how to remove bird poop is really good. When I was 17 my first car was a 1994 Honda Civic and the first time I cleaned bird poop I made a huge mistake I accidentally used a part of the towel that had some of the bird poop I removed and it left quite a few scratches behind.
__________________
Cris
G37 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
jpegs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manhasset, L.I. NY
Posts: 1,990
Re: How long can you safely leave dead bugs on front bumper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post


That's just wrong
__________________
John
Mean people suck
jpegs13 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,010
Re: How long can you safely leave dead bugs on front bumper?

Um...how about you wash the car after your drive...then you'll remove anything that got on the car during the drive and it should stay clean in the garage until next week.
Setec Astronomy is online now  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
Director of Training
 
Mike.Phillips@Autogeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 47,815
Re: How long can you safely leave dead bugs on front bumper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37 View Post

BTW you thread on how to remove bird poop is really good. When I was 17 my first car was a 1994 Honda Civic and the first time I cleaned bird poop I made a huge mistake I accidentally used a part of the towel that had some of the bird poop I removed and it left quite a few scratches behind.
Thanks...

For those reading this thread, they are referring to this article,


How to safely remove a dried bird dropping





Here's a related article...

Two Types of Bird Dropping Etchings

Mike.Phillips@Autogeek is online now  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
jslym777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 273
Re: How long can you safely leave dead bugs on front bumper?

they will be safe there forever if you dont get them off quickly!
jslym777 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #10
Member
 
Cruiser57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St. Louis Mo.
Posts: 45
Re: How long can you safely leave dead bugs on front bumper?

Eventually the bird droppings will go away on their own, then we call them Ghost Stains!
__________________
www.cleancarstl.com
Check Us Out On Facebook and YouTube
Don't Have The Time....Let Us Shine!
Cruiser57 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: Poorboy’s World Trim Restorer CEE DOG Product Reviews 77 05-24-2012 11:45 PM
How dirty is too dirty to safely use a rinseless wash? Mike.Phillips@Autogeek Hot topics and Frequently asked questions 27 12-22-2011 10:51 AM
How To: Remove Bugs Safely sullysdetailing How to Articles 19 08-25-2011 09:42 PM
Bottom of Front Lip Scuffed -- What to do? encoder Auto Detailing 101 4 10-11-2010 11:35 AM
Is there a way to get bugs off during ONR wash? biggestmexi Auto Detailing 101 16 09-06-2010 01:04 PM

» July 2014
S M T W T F S
2930 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 12
» Car Care Brands
Detailer's Pro Series Car Care Products
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©PBMA - Autogeekonline.net® All Rights Reserved.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55