autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about Meguiars' Ultimate Wax

Has anyone here had trouble with Meguiars Ultimate Wax (liquid and/or paste) not drying/curing properly? It doesn't seem to want to work on my black car and even after almost 2 weeks can still be smeared like a thin oily film on the surface. I've tried several tips and suggestions at MOL and have spoken with Customer Care as well but with no resolution. Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about Meguiars' Ultimate Wax

Are you using the liquid or paste?

I only had a very minor streaking problem and I wanted it to clear up "right now".
    I wiped them with a very lightly water misted microfiber towel and they were gone.

I use the UW liquid and I like the stuff. Easy to use and it leaves a nice gloss finish.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used both versions with the same basic results. Don't get me wrong, I think the car looks great...I just know this is not normal for a wax to behave like this.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post

It doesn't seem to want to work on my black car and even after almost 2 weeks can still be smeared like a thin oily film on the surface.

I've tried several tips and suggestions at MOL and have spoken with Customer Care as well but with no resolution. Anyone?
    I used the paste, machine applied it to the Challenger but after I was finished with it the car went back to the owner.

1972 Challenger

I used the liquid on this car and same thing, the car went back to the owner...

1970 Cutlass

Don't remember having any problems with either though...

I'm going to guess the tips and suggestions go like this,

1. Apply a thin coat
    2. Allow the product to dry till it swipes clear
    3. Use a premium quality microfiber towel to remove the excess product

Just a guess...

Maybe try this,

The Final Wipe – Tips for creating a streak-free, show car finish

One of the goals of a paint care chemist is to create formulas that work on "ALL" paints, it's a lofty goal and sometimes hard to reach 100%

It's always possible that maybe a different wax or sealant would work better for you and your car's paint system and/or climate.

Mike Phillips

While you shouldn't have to use a spray detailer to remove any leftover residue, sometimes that will work to remove the film without degrading the results.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

All those steps you listed were followed to the letter. The wax was applied first (liquid) with my d/a and then the second attempt was done by hand (paste). The smearing from the paste was not as severe as the liquid but still there. At this point I'm ready to remove this product and go back to my previous LSP (GC+). I was told by the folks at megs that with my paint being in very well maintained condition that the wax may have trouble bonding to the surface. Not sure I believe this or not, what's your thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / Like

You applied the liquid version first then followed up with the paste after, correct?

If so, how long did you allow the first coat to sit before wiping and also how long after you wiped did you apply the paste coat?
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First coat was liquid and was super thin with the d/a. A second coat was applied 48 hours later with the d/a again. After a weeks time and speaking with Meguiars about the problem I removed the first coats and after receiving a free paste version a week later I applied a first paste coat by hand and waited 24 hours to apply the second but there was no second coat. I took one quick trip to get the car inspected and after wiping the car down the smearing reappeared,hence no second coat. I used Quik Detailer and a clean mf to try and clear it up but it's still smearing.

Post Thanks / Like

no issues with the paste version ...

Scott

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post

All those steps you listed were followed to the letter. The wax was applied first (liquid) with my d/a and then the second attempt was done by hand (paste).
    The surface of your car's paint will only hold so much wax... could be just one, thin coat was enough...

After some time goes by and the wax starts to wear off, wash the car and prep it to your satisfaction and try just one thin application of one or the other, the liquid or the paste.

Sometimes more is not always better...
    (Except when it comes to my gas tank)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast