autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsvbGarageGalleryDetailing How To'sDetailing How ToFacebookTwitterYouTube

Go Back   Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum > Auto Detailing Forums > Auto Detailing 101

Register FAQ Upload Photos Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Instagram

Old 03-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #1

Question about Meguiars' Ultimate Wax

Has anyone here had trouble with Meguiars Ultimate Wax (liquid and/or paste) not drying/curing properly? It doesn't seem to want to work on my black car and even after almost 2 weeks can still be smeared like a thin oily film on the surface. I've tried several tips and suggestions at MOL and have spoken with Customer Care as well but with no resolution. Anyone?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 03-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #2

Re: Question about Meguiars' Ultimate Wax

Are you using the liquid or paste?

I only had a very minor streaking problem and I wanted it to clear up "right now".
I wiped them with a very lightly water misted microfiber towel and they were gone.

I use the UW liquid and I like the stuff. Easy to use and it leaves a nice gloss finish.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 03-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #3

I've used both versions with the same basic results. Don't get me wrong, I think the car looks great...I just know this is not normal for a wax to behave like this.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Director of Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post

It doesn't seem to want to work on my black car and even after almost 2 weeks can still be smeared like a thin oily film on the surface.

I've tried several tips and suggestions at MOL and have spoken with Customer Care as well but with no resolution. Anyone?
I used the paste, machine applied it to the Challenger but after I was finished with it the car went back to the owner.

1972 Challenger

I used the liquid on this car and same thing, the car went back to the owner...

1970 Cutlass

Don't remember having any problems with either though...

I'm going to guess the tips and suggestions go like this,
  1. Apply a thin coat
  2. Allow the product to dry till it swipes clear
  3. Use a premium quality microfiber towel to remove the excess product
Just a guess...

Maybe try this,

The Final Wipe – Tips for creating a streak-free, show car finish

One of the goals of a paint care chemist is to create formulas that work on "ALL" paints, it's a lofty goal and sometimes hard to reach 100%

It's always possible that maybe a different wax or sealant would work better for you and your car's paint system and/or climate.

Click on a book for more information or to add to your library.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Director of Training

While you shouldn't have to use a spray detailer to remove any leftover residue, sometimes that will work to remove the film without degrading the results.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #6

All those steps you listed were followed to the letter. The wax was applied first (liquid) with my d/a and then the second attempt was done by hand (paste). The smearing from the paste was not as severe as the liquid but still there. At this point I'm ready to remove this product and go back to my previous LSP (GC+). I was told by the folks at megs that with my paint being in very well maintained condition that the wax may have trouble bonding to the surface. Not sure I believe this or not, what's your thoughts on this?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #7

You applied the liquid version first then followed up with the paste after, correct?

If so, how long did you allow the first coat to sit before wiping and also how long after you wiped did you apply the paste coat?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #8

First coat was liquid and was super thin with the d/a. A second coat was applied 48 hours later with the d/a again. After a weeks time and speaking with Meguiars about the problem I removed the first coats and after receiving a free paste version a week later I applied a first paste coat by hand and waited 24 hours to apply the second but there was no second coat. I took one quick trip to get the car inspected and after wiping the car down the smearing reappeared,hence no second coat. I used Quik Detailer and a clean mf to try and clear it up but it's still smearing.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #9

no issues with the paste version ...

Scott
Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Director of Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post

All those steps you listed were followed to the letter. The wax was applied first (liquid) with my d/a and then the second attempt was done by hand (paste).
The surface of your car's paint will only hold so much wax... could be just one, thin coat was enough...

After some time goes by and the wax starts to wear off, wash the car and prep it to your satisfaction and try just one thin application of one or the other, the liquid or the paste.

Sometimes more is not always better...
(Except when it comes to my gas tank)