autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn't the PC DA spin!?

I've been using the PC DA for about a month now. I only use it for wax/sealant application. But, I notice that it never seems to wanna spin. I mean even the slightest pressure, and it stops spinning. It's more or less just vibrating back and forth. I find that I have to move it in circles to get it to spin.

Is this normal? Is there some kind of adjustment I should make? It could just be that I'm a rotary type guy...and maybe I just feel this way cause I'm used to seeing my pad spin like a mofo. But, I swear something is either wrong, or needs adjusting. Any info??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shouldn't the PC DA spin!?

Kris,

If I apply too much downward force I can stop the pads rotation. It's pretty easy to stop the pads from rotating on this unit. Try easing up on it a bit and see if it helps. Also, what size pads are you using?

I switched from 6 1/2" to 5 1/2" diameter and it like having a dual action polisher on steroids! Personally, I think this unit should have been originally supplied with 5 1/2" diameter pads.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you can post a video here so that we can see whats really going on. From what I read people like GG over PC because when you push down on PC it stops spinning.

Post Thanks / Like

YEs, it does not take much to make it stop from spinning, but the good thing is that since you only use it for wax and sealers, you don't really need it to spin.

Post Thanks / Like

Even on the low settings you should have no problem spinning it for wax application. However, for this you should only be using the weight of the machine for pressure - nothing additional is necessary.

One of the quickest ways to make one stop spinning is by not having the pad flat to the surface. On anything less than speed 6 just about if you tilt the machine, it will stop spinning IME.

DLB

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

yea thats the one thing that made me move up to purchase my Flex..it seems with the PC if a fly lands on it the spinning stops and it just vibrates. I always used 5.5" pads on it to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Kris,

If I apply too much downward force I can stop the pads rotation. It's pretty easy to stop the pads from rotating on this unit. Try easing up on it a bit and see if it helps. Also, what size pads are you using?

I switched from 6 1/2" to 5 1/2" diameter and it like having a dual action polisher on steroids! Personally, I think this unit should have been originally supplied with 5 1/2" diameter pads.
    I'm using the 7" Megs pads that came with the kit. I'm gonna order some smaller pads just for the simple fact that these are way too big for what I'm doing anyways. Any pad suggestions. I'm pretty sure I'm going to only be using the PC for wax/sealant...but say I wanted to do correction, ha. What works for that as well. Cause I'll try it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DLB View Post
    Even on the low settings you should have no problem spinning it for wax application. However, for this you should only be using the weight of the machine for pressure - nothing additional is necessary.

One of the quickest ways to make one stop spinning is by not having the pad flat to the surface. On anything less than speed 6 just about if you tilt the machine, it will stop spinning IME.

DLB

I know it doesn't have to spin for what I'm doing. But, I just know that it's supposed to, ha. That's why it bothers me. Every time I see the backing plate just going back and forth I wanna throw the thing off a cliff! I'm starting to think that maybe this isn't the DA for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 5.5" pads on mine for everything. I do corrections with it and have no problem. My flex rotary is faster of course. I do hate how easy it is to make the pad stop spinning though. I have kinda learned to work it without problem now though. I plan on making the PC a 3" pad only machine and getting a flex for 5.5" pads though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.P. Cobra Fan View Post
    I use 5.5" pads on mine for everything. I do corrections with it and have no problem. My flex rotary is faster of course. I do hate how easy it is to make the pad stop spinning though. I have kinda learned to work it without problem now though. I plan on making the PC a 3" pad only machine and getting a flex for 5.5" pads though.
    Now there's an idea. I do like it for wax/sealant...but having a constant 3" DA around would be really useful. I've wanted that Griots 3" DA for a while now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast