autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    soap for pressure washer ???

    I just bought Troy Bilt pressure washer. It's 2600 psi, 2.3 gpm, Honda GCV engine and an axial cam pump.

    It's not the best but it should serve my purposes for now.

    My question is, this pressure washer comes with 2 on-board detergent tanks. They each hold a half gallon (32 ounces). Do I fill the detergent tank with straight car washing soap or do I need to reduce it with water? If I need to reduce it what ratio should I use?

    Also any tips for getting a long life from this pressure washer?

    Thanks
    Last edited by I Shine; 01-07-2011 at 03:07 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member BobbyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Southeast, MA
    Posts
    13,211

    Re: soap for pressure washer ???

    I would think the manufacture would cover this in the manual. Also, go to their website and see what they say there and if need be shoot their customer service an email to have your questions answered.

    I have a Honda powered Troy-Bilt pressure washer and have never had an issue. It's always worked well so no complaints here.

    BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

  3. #3
    Senior Member jlb85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rochester, MI
    Posts
    734
    The on-board tanks on these pressure washers don't work very well as foamers. The amont of soap they put out is too small and too watery, and they are not pressurized. So give it a try, but don't worry too much about it. For good foam you willl need a foam gun or cannon. Add a little soap at 50% and see how it works.

    Local to Southeast Michigan
    Serving Nationwide

  4. #4
    Senior Member Dan Metzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southeast PA.
    Posts
    217

    Re: soap for pressure washer ???

    Quote Originally Posted by jlb85 View Post
    The on-board tanks on these pressure washers don't work very well as foamers. The amont of soap they put out is too small and too watery, and they are not pressurized. So give it a try, but don't worry too much about it. For good foam you willl need a foam gun or cannon. Add a little soap at 50% and see how it works.

    Jacob what Karcher pressure washer do you have? Always impressed with your foam pics.

  5. #5
    Senior Member clm65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Crystal River, FL
    Posts
    221

    Re: soap for pressure washer ???

    My simple advice for longer pressure washer life...run it regularly. Long periods of sitting does not bode well for pressure washers. In addition to gumming up the carbs, the pump seals and pressure relief valves will stick if left sitting long enough. You can get additives for both the pump and carb, but your best and cheapest bet is to use it often. This I have learned from experience.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Rhudeboye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    368

    Re: soap for pressure washer ???

    I have a husky and the foaming results are pretty weak. Even though they give instructions for car cleaning in the literature the device seems better suited for vinyl siding

  7. #7
    Senior Member jlb85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rochester, MI
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Metzler View Post
    Jacob what Karcher pressure washer do you have? Always impressed with your foam pics.
    Thanks, Dan!

    We use a Karcher K5.85 with the Autogeek Foam Cannon. We have also used a B&D electric washer with equal results. Even the very small Karcher K2.16 throws out tremendous foam with the Foam Cannon.

    The Karcher Foam Lance thingy attachment is a great value at $25, but foams similar to the regular garden hose Foam Gun no matter how pure and sudsy the shampoo is. Better than nothing.



    As a last tip I'm going to recommend users of the foam cannon to experiment with high dilution rates. Some shampoos seem to foam more at say 6:1 water to soap in the foam cannon bottle than at 3:1. Found this out by accident, and not every soap acts this way. But IIRC CG Citrus Wash is like this, and foams better than say CG Maxi Suds 2 even at 6:1. CGMS foams good, but runs fast. CGCW holds its shape longer. I like Extreme Foam at 4:1. Dodo Juice Supernatural will not foam very thick, but still feels great and very slippery in the foam gun around 10:1 or so.

    Local to Southeast Michigan
    Serving Nationwide

  8. #8
    Senior Member Dan Metzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southeast PA.
    Posts
    217

    Wink Re: soap for pressure washer ???

    Quote Originally Posted by jlb85 View Post
    Thanks, Dan!

    We use a Karcher K5.85 with the Autogeek Foam Cannon. We have also used a B&D electric washer with equal results. Even the very small Karcher K2.16 throws out tremendous foam with the Foam Cannon.

    The Karcher Foam Lance thingy attachment is a great value at $25, but foams similar to the regular garden hose Foam Gun no matter how pure and sudsy the shampoo is. Better than nothing.



    As a last tip I'm going to recommend users of the foam cannon to experiment with high dilution rates. Some shampoos seem to foam more at say 6:1 water to soap in the foam cannon bottle than at 3:1. Found this out by accident, and not every soap acts this way. But IIRC CG Citrus Wash is like this, and foams better than say CG Maxi Suds 2 even at 6:1. CGMS foams good, but runs fast. CGCW holds its shape longer. I like Extreme Foam at 4:1. Dodo Juice Supernatural will not foam very thick, but still feels great and very slippery in the foam gun around 10:1 or so.
    Good info and thanks.......now get back to detailing and write a story I am going through withdraw!!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member JonMiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sarasota, Fl
    Posts
    921

    Re: soap for pressure washer ???

    Congrats on the new pressure washer, I'm sure it will make detailing life easier for you. As far as keeping it running nicely, make sure to keep the parts cleaned and well lubricated just like any other engine. Also, fire it up often to keep everything in running shape and to avoid clogging and long term corrosion. A water inlet screen would be a good investment too, it will help keep foreign matter out of the pump. You don't want any sand or debris coming out of the hose to run through the pump and have potential to do damage.

    Quote Originally Posted by I Shine View Post
    They each hold a half gallon (32 ounces).
    Just for future reference, a gallon is 128 oz. A quart (32 oz) is only 1/4 of a gallon.
    Jon Miles
    Detailing Excellence
    http://www.DetailingExcellence.com

  10. #10

    Re: soap for pressure washer ???

    Quote Originally Posted by JonMiles View Post
    Just for future reference, a gallon is 128 oz. A quart (32 oz) is only 1/4 of a gallon.

    Sorry about that, math was never my favorite subject.

    Thanks for the tips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Using soap pressure washer nozzle for foam?
    By dbinott in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-11-2016, 12:20 PM
  2. Loss of pressure with my new pressure washer hose
    By CaveRacing in forum Auto Detailing Tools and Accessories
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-08-2015, 10:08 PM
  3. Is it Bad to Run Soap Through Pressure Washer
    By ShineTimeDetail in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 10:22 AM
  4. Whats the best foaming soap for a pressure washer
    By lucky472 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-01-2012, 10:29 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-28-2011, 03:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» December 2016

27282930 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31