autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Film on windshield after cleaning

I detailed my sisters 2006 bmw zhp the other day and it came out beautifully except for this haze on the windshield. I couldn't seem to get it, whatever it was, off even with multiple efforts.

I know I've had problems with this on my car as well. Any suggestions for clearing up the windshield. I'm was using a dedicated glass cleaner (not windex) but not a product from this site since I'm trying to use up what I have laying around before buying new products.

It seems like maybe there are some oils or something. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Film on windshield after cleaning

What type of glass towels were you using? I find that a good short nap waffle weave makes a very big difference in removing film. It can be tough to remove if it's built up for months or years, but a good glass cleaner with 2 glass towels always gets the job done for me. I use 1 towel to get rid of most of the film, and follow with the 2nd towel and more glass cleaner to get perfect clarity.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not even sure what type of glass towels. I'll have to put that on my "to buy" list with some new glass cleaner.

I'm just starting my collection of products. It's addictive and I'm quickly becoming a perfectionist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcDave View Post
    I detailed my sisters 2006 bmw zhp the other day and it came out beautifully except for this haze on the windshield. I couldn't seem to get it, whatever it was, off even with multiple efforts.

I know I've had problems with this on my car as well. Any suggestions for clearing up the windshield. I'm was using a dedicated glass cleaner (not windex) but not a product from this site since I'm trying to use up what I have laying around before buying new products.

When everything else fails to remove film I use the good old fashioned Bon Ami Cleaning Powder 04030.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

Was this inside or outside? I used the Griots glass polish a few days ago,outside of window of course, with my DA and it was amazing how clear the glass is now.

Post Thanks / Like

Is your problem on the inside or the outside? If it's outside you can use one of the polishes you use for the paint (and be pretty agressive because glass is a lot harder than your paint...although softer than it used to be, but that's another story), or Klasse AIO is very good. As noted, Bon Ami is an old-school remedy for this.

If it's inside it may be tar/nicotine if people have smoked in the car or it may be vinyl fog (offgassing from the vinyl/plastic/adhesives inside) which deposits on the windows after being liberated by solar heating. This can be very difficult to remove especially on windshields and back windows where the access is difficult. You can try some IPA on a towel or an AIO.

Mike Phillips

A couple things...

First cleaning glass to be perfect is hard and a pain...

Second, anytime you're cleaning glass, the goal is to remove whatever is on the glass off the glass. One tip I use and share goes like this,

After doing the initial cleaning, if you're successful, you now have the film or gunk off the glass and onto WHATEVER type of wiping cloth it is you're using.

Stop using it.

If you continue using it you're just re-introducing the gunk or film back onto the glass. Always have plenty of clean, dry cloths and switch to a clean, not been used yet, cloth for your final wipe.

The above is for normal glass cleaning. If you come into a situation where there is something more substantial on the glass, either inside or outside, then it's time to get away from a simple liquid spray-on glass cleaner and switch to some kind of cleaning polish or compound.

We have some products like this in our Diamondite line, as mentioned Bon Ami is often used.

The idea now is to have something with some "bite" to it to gently abrade the film or gunk off the glass without scratching the glass.

Then, AFTER the heavy lifting is done, then use a glass cleaner to remove any residues left by the compound, polish or Bon Ami or whatever....

I've used M04 for probably 20 years as I come from Oregon and that's rain country and all the daily drivers in Oregon tend to get water spots on the outside of the glass and a normal glass cleaner will NOT wipe these types of spots off the glass, they must be abraded with something chunky that also won't scratch glass.

And... the film normally inside of a "new" or "newer" car is called Vinyl Fog and it's all the carcinogens and other ingredients in all the plastic an man-made components out-gassing and depositing on the inside of the glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcDave View Post

I have a funny yellow/gold spotted haze on part of my wife's 08 BMW windshield outside the windshield wiper area. Clay does not remove it. Hand polishing didn't remove it either.

Does that describe the haze or is it a film that you can't remove? What car wash detergent do you use to wash the car?

I plan to try Bon Amie as suggested earlier next and if that doesn't work I will go to a compound on an orange or white pad with my DA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    I have a funny yellow/gold spotted haze on part of my wife's 08 BMW windshield...I plan to try Bon Amie as suggested earlier next and if that doesn't work I will go to a compound on an orange or white pad with my DA.
    That kind of thing is usally IN the glass, IME, as some sort of artifact of the manufacturing process, so you're not going to have much success polishing it out, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That kind of thing is usally IN the glass, IME, as some sort of artifact of the manufacturing process, so you're not going to have much success polishing it out, IMO.
    Maybe it provides UV protection?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast