autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow DEEP clean (Oxidation removal) of Chrome Wheels (???)

Hi everyone

Last week I purchase a new Jeep, and the horribly undersized (in my opinion) 16'' wheels were doing NOTHING for the overall look of the vehicle. I decided to upgrade to 20'' with a set of matching lug-nut wheels that are from another car I owned (and will be selling). The wheels have been in storage for almost three years, and although the storage was kept locked and obviously free from rain etc, after getting them out and doing my best to clean them with a standard chrome wheel cleaner spray - all the brake dust and grime washed off easily to a brilliant finish... EXCEPT for very tiny yet noticeable marks that looked like oxidation similar to jewelry.

Is there anything I can try in order to restore these chrome wheels to their once factory finish? There are also a few very slight scratches, or what amount to look like non-severe swirl marks.

Perhaps a cream, something akin to what you polish Jewelry with (Tarn-X etc) but formulated for wheels to deeply clean and polish/restore? I'm sure applying and buffing a product will do much more than spraying a wheel cleaner and washing off with a hose! I just don't what which to buy - or how I should go about it...

The wheels got mounted this morning, and I'd really like to make them shine once again with as little imperfections as possible - to add to the overall look of the Jeep. Thanks!!!
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DEEP clean (Oxidation removal) of Chrome Wheels (???)

First thing I would try is Nevr-Dull, you can pick it up just about anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    First thing I would try is Nevr-Dull, you can pick it up just about anywhere.
    Thanks a lot - that's great if it's available locally, like an Auto Zone for example. I'd like to pick some up after work, since I have a big date tomorrow and wanted to polish the wheels before that.

Is there any type of applicator I should use, or length of time I should let it sit before buffing off? Also, would more coats create more gloss and more cleaning power?

One of my friends in construction suggested I use a specially made extremely fine steel wool pad on the wheels, but I WAS NOT about to take steel wool, no matter how fine, to these 20'' wheels! Thoughts?
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

#0000 steel wool is perfectly safe to use on Chrome. I use it all the time(in conjunction with a metal polish.) You have to remember the chrome coating is very hard.

If you are scared or slightly hesitant you could use bronze/brass wool as a substitute.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    #0000 steel wool is perfectly safe to use on Chrome. I use it all the time(in conjunction with a metal polish.) You have to remember the chrome coating is very hard.

If you are scared or slightly hesitant you could use bronze/brass wool as a substitute.
    That's what he said... he called it "4 something-or-other," so he must have meant the 0000. Thanks a lot for your advice... perhaps this would be the best to use with the Never Dull polish. Great help - looks like I'll be going to Home Depot later
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

You cant use it together with Never dull because it is a polishing wad/cloth. But you can use the steel wool first with wd40 as a lubricate to remove the light oxidation/pitting then finish off with never dull. If you have M105 it also works great as a metal polish.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    You cant use it together with Never dull because it is a polishing wad/cloth. But you can use the steel wool first with wd40 as a lubricate to remove the light oxidation/pitting then finish off with never dull. If you have M105 it also works great as a metal polish.
    I love it here - thank you so much. Great advice on products and technique! If you had not said anything, I would have went scrubbing away, incorrectly, with Never Dull and a 0000 steel wool pad!

So WD-40 spray and scrub with 0000 steel wool pad, wash off... THEN Never Dull polish and buff off (or M105 by Meg's)

THANKS!
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic_Detailing View Post
    I love it here - thank you so much. Great advice on products and technique! If you had not said anything, I would have went scrubbing away, incorrectly, with Never Dull and a 0000 steel wool pad!

So WD-40 spray and scrub with 0000 steel wool pad, wash off... THEN Never Dull polish and buff off (or M105 by Meg's)

THANKS!
    Everything looks good to me!
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Just dug this old thread up from last year, because... ashamed as I might be to admit it, I just went ALL season without changing out my 20'' chrome wheels during the brutal Winter!

I know... bad idea! I usually plan MUCH better than this, but for months now I have been working 60 hours per week and STILL holding a part-time job on top of that, so I never swapped my factory wheels back on it.

Anyway, the build-up and what appears to be corrosion is VERY bad, in some small parts it appears as though perhaps the top clear coat (?) of the chrome might have even been eaten through.

In stead of 'throwing away' these wheels... what would be some LAST DITCH attempts I could use, VERY AGGRESSIVE, at getting them at least CLOSE to looking good again so I don't have a flawlessly detailed car, and some bummy corroded brown chrome wheels please!?
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

Bump

Chrome wheels did their best to survive the winter... now they are, seemingly, dead on arrival! In search of a last ditch effort to clean them with something extremely aggressive. THANKS!
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast