autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding more clear coat to my car?

Is it possible to add any clear coat to my paint job? I am looking to do this without having to go to a paint booth or anything. I am not looking for a sealant, but rather a true clear coat: something that I could polish for example.
    If it is not possible, how many times could a clear coat be polished to remove washing/claying swirl marks before encountering problems?
    P.S. Sorry if I made any of you detailing junkies cringe, this is just my curiosity getting the better of me - not an actual problem with a car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adding more clear coat to my car?

Yes. All you need are some 800/1000grit sandpaper, a compressor, a High Pressure Low Volume Spray Gun (HPLV), some clearcoat of choice or same as old clearcoat diluted with some thinner and catalyst. (depends on what laws you have, i have no experience with water-based paint)

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Technically no. On a normal basecoat/clearcoat paintjob, you spray the basecoat, and then within 24 hours you apply the clearcoat. This is because the clearcoat then chemically adheres to the basecoat. if you look at the directions provided with paint finishing systems, you will note that they say: "If the vehicle cannot be clearcoated within 24-48 hours of the last basecoat application, reapply one more coat of base, allow 15-30 minutes to flash dry, then proceed with normal clearcoat application"

Post Thanks / Like

You might wanna look to Optimum for a referral to a local professional using their Opticoat system. Not clearcoat, but a true shield of a sort.

Scott

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post

Is it possible to add any clear coat to my paint job?

Are you a car painter? If so then you could probably do it. If not, taking your car to a body shop and asking for "more clear" will cost you just as much as taking your car to a body shop and asking for a "new paint job" because they're going to have to prep and paint the car just like they would if they were give you a new paint job.

You're not the first person to ask this question and when most people find out what it will cost to have their local body shop paint their car just to get "more clear" they decide they don't want to pay that much money and instead will take care of the paint they already have.

Just for fun, swing by a body shop and ask for an estimate to get a paint job that only includes scuffing the current clear and spraying more "new" clear onto the car.

Keep in mind in order to paint your car they have to so ALL the things they would do to you car had your car been in an accident and had a crumpled fender except they won't actually have to remove any dents. Assuming there are no dents or dings in your car right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Are you a car painter? If so then you could probably do it. If not, taking your car to a body shop and asking for "more clear" will cost you just as much as taking your car to a body shop and asking for a "new paint job" because they're going to have to prep and paint the car just like they would if they were give you a new paint job.

You're not the first person to ask this question and when most people find out what it will cost to have their local body shop paint their car just to get "more clear" they decide they don't want to pay that much money and instead will take care of the paint they already have.

Just for fun, swing by a body shop and ask for an estimate to get a paint job that only includes scuffing the current clear and spraying more "new" clear onto the car.

Keep in mind in order to paint your car they have to so ALL the things they would do to you car had your car been in an accident and had a crumpled fender except they won't actually have to remove any dents. Assuming there are no dents or dings in your car right now.

Thanks for the info. But I guess I wasn't very clear with the question: Is it possible to extend/add any clearcoat(or clearcoat equivilant) to my car without having to use a paint booth or a professional painter -- Is there anything that would apply easy such as klasse that would add more substance to the clearcoat? And if so: could this be treated like a normal clearcoat and clayed, waxed, buffed, and so on...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post

But I guess I wasn't very clear with the question: Is it possible to extend/add any clearcoat(or clearcoat equivalent)

No problemo...

There really are two approaches

• Spraying fresh paint onto the car
    • Applying some type of product to the existing paint by pouring it out of a bottle or can and spreading it by hand or machine.

Spraying fresh paint is the more complicated and costly approach.

As for applying something on top of the paint this you can certainly do but as for actually creating a layer of product like you think of as it relates to a layer of fresh paint then keep in mind that most car waxes and paint sealants are going to be applied and then wiped off and what you leave behind is a very thin, microscopic layer of protection. It's not going to be like a "layer" like placing a layer of Saran Wrap over the paint where you have a physical layer of "something" on the surface.

Klasse SG if applied thick will create a layer but it won't be clear, so for most people that won't make them happy as you won't be able to see the color of the paint underneath and you'll have to scrape it off. Experiment with about a dime size of product on something smooth, flat and solid and you'll see what I mean.

Optimum Polymer Technologies has an actual polymer paint sealant that does impart a real layer of polymers that are clear and from my testing it's a very durable coating but you can only have it applied by a Professional Detailer that has obtained the product legally from Optimum Polymer Technologies, you cannot purchase it as an enthusiast and apply it yourself.

Mike Phillips

Most people since the car was invented will find a quality car wax and put their car on some type of regular maintenance program, like washing once a month or so and waxing 2-3 times a year.

This is an uncomplicated approach and has been working since the Model T was introduced in 1908

There is no miracle product that you can apply and walk away and your car will withstand neglect and even abuse and the "paint" will always look show room new.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    No problemo...

There really are two approaches

• Spraying fresh paint onto the car
    • Applying some type of product to the existing paint by pouring it out of a bottle or can and spreading it by hand or machine.

Spraying fresh paint is the more complicated and costly approach.

As for applying something on top of the paint this you can certainly do but as for actually creating a layer of product like you think of as it relates to a layer of fresh paint then keep in mind that most car waxes and paint sealants are going to be applied and then wiped off and what you leave behind is a very thin, microscopic layer of protection. It's not going to be like a "layer" like placing a layer of Saran Wrap over the paint where you have a physical layer of "something" on the surface.

Klasse SG if applied thick will create a layer but it won't be clear, so for most people that won't make them happy as you won't be able to see the color of the paint underneath and you'll have to scrape it off. Experiment with about a dime size of product on something smooth, flat and solid and you'll see what I mean.

Optimum Polymer Technologies has an actual polymer paint sealant that does impart a real layer of polymers that are clear and from my testing it's a very durable coating but you can only have it applied by a Professional Detailer that has obtained the product legally from Optimum Polymer Technologies, you cannot purchase it as an enthusiast and apply it yourself.

THAT is what I was looking for. Thanks!