autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

touching up rock chips

Hey guys

How do you guys attack touch up paint jobs?

this is from another forum

Quote Originally Posted by stewie View Post
    Before each session I used a smart repair touch up bud and VW Magic Black touch up paint to build up over a couple of days all chips big enough to be touched in. I layered the paint until a 'dome' of paint appeared above the surface. Once dry I used a 3M Finesse-it hand block, with 3M 268L Finesse-it 9 micron abrasive petals with Megs Last touch as a lube to flatten back the chips that were in isolated places. Areas that had multiple touch ups close together were flattened back using Megs 2500 followed by 3000 unigrit paper (which had been soaking in a bucket of water for a couple of days to soften) with a Megs sanding block.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

taken from here..

Bora Project completed - The full story (lots of pics and text) - Detailing World

crazy right ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: touching up rock chips

I recently used Dr. Colorchip on an old car of mine with road rash and some rock chips - the results were pretty amazing, IMO. I also like the Dupli-Color kit for deeper & bigger rock chips. Forgot to mention, the Langka system is also very good (used it a few times on my car) and the results took me by surprise. Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SilverJag View Post
    I recently used Dr. Colorchip on an old car of mine with road rash and some rock chips - the results were pretty amazing, IMO. I also like the Dupli-Color kit for deeper & bigger rock chips. Forgot to mention, the Langka system is also very good (used it a few times on my car) and the results took me by surprise. Hope this helps
    I was thinking of using Dr. Colorchip, since its been used an seemed to go good, I'm gonna go ahead an try it.

Post Thanks / Like

i checked out that link....holy attention to detail!...i can't imagine how long it took to do all that he did

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried 3 different ones; Dr Colorchip, Langka, Touchup123 with touchup123 being the best of the 3 but I think they are out of biz now.
    I got really frustrated with the 2 minutes to the 2 hours of wait time only to have all of the touchup paint come out. Well, to make a long story short - after my frustration I kinda forgot about some of the chips I was working on for a week or so. I picked up some Goo Gone at WalMart. Used a little bit on an old T-Shirt with an old credit card the way Langka instructed you to use blob eliminator and it worked better than any of the chip repair systems. Was this just luck? Has anyone else stumbled upon this?

Post Thanks / Like

I am currently testing a couple different ways to use an airbrush for spot touch up. It is the best way to touch up metallics, when you use a brush toothpick or needle the paint is flat. When you airbrush it, it atomizes and blends in much better. Later this week I will be making a post with pics to show everyone how it turns out and the process I used. This is to touch up dime to quarter size spots-dr colorchip us probably your best bet for road rash-it's a great method and durable too.

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing, if the spots are rusted I would use an air eraser to remove it. It's the fastest and most accurate method to remove rust on small rock chip type areas versus the sanding pens you can buy. Easy setup and is relatively inexpensive given you already have an air compressor.