autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ipa wipedown

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ipa wipedown

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I just tried a sample of Griot's Pre-wax Cleaner. It is citrus based (smells like oranges). It did seem easier to remove (felt better) than using IPA. I have no way to compare to effectiveness but I think I used less in the end.
    I thought about buying this myself. I wonder if this also leaves behind some sort of residue even after wiping? Gotta love detailing!
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

I've used Mineral Spirits or an APC and never had any problems.

I have no direct detailing knowledge of comparing the reactivity, safety, or "harshness" or IPA and mineral spirits on clear coat.

However, from a chemistry perspective I would be more worried about mineral spirits as a solvent than isopropyl alchohol. Due to its structure, IPA is even more unreactive that ethyl alcohol/ethanol (common alcohol), or methanol is. With that said it is hard to compare the reactivity of IPA with clear coat without knowing the chemistry of the clear coat paint, which I don't.

After reading this I am going to be careful with both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    I thought about buying this myself. I wonder if this also leaves behind some sort of residue even after wiping? Gotta love detailing!
    The Griot's is never going to the lowest cost product to use but I did like the "feel" better than IPA.

Lincoln MKZ with Wolfgang Fuzion
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dnadrifter View Post

However, from a chemistry perspective I would be more worried about mineral spirits as a solvent than Isopropyl alcohol.
    See page 4 of this thread...
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...23225-ipa.html

Quote Originally Posted by dnadrifter View Post
    After reading this I am going to be careful with both.
    That's a great "best practice" for everyone...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Just a warning... recently when doing a test spot I was doing an IPA wipe-down to check the results and some of the Isopropyl Alcohol penetrated under the painter's tape and dwelled while I continued to do some testing. (I had placed a single strip of painter's tape to better show before and after results).

Later when I removed the painter's tape there were two places that the clear paint wrinkled.

This really surprised me as this was a factory clear finish and I was under the assumption that IPA wouldn't cause any harm to the paint.

Luckily, I was able to undo the damage but I wasn't a big fan of doing IPA wipe-downs in the past and I'm even less of a fan now.

So be careful...

Sorry to bump this old thread but would like to share similar experience I had as a warning.

The case was different though. I was doing a minor but deep scratch repair on my car and I had used masking tape to cover outer area. I sprayed the paint then a lilFinishing Solvent Spray as the per the paint manufacturers instruction. Later after the paint dried, I remove the masking tape but damn, paint was wrinkled.

Fortunately the damage area was small but still can be seen.

I had used the same products few times before and it never harmed the paint but I didn't used masking tap before.

So I too believe its chemical reaction between masking tap or its adhesive.

WARNING AGAIN: Becare full when using cleaning chemicals + adhesives

Thanks...
    Best Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    ...What do you guys think about ONR wipedown instead of alcohol? Not strong enough to remove the oils?
    I appreciate this is a very old question however I do think there is some validity in using ONR or maybe other similar products. For quite a while I had been using ONR to clean up the kitchen hob. As long as the dirt and oils were quite light the ONR had no problems.

This made me think if ONR can remove light oil from a hob then it might be able to remove polishing oils. So, I tried smearing some polish (Menz Power Gloss) on a glass mirror and tried different things to remove all traces of the oil. IPA worked well if given a few seconds to dwell but so did ONR. The biggest difference is IPA left a very slight haze although this was very easily removed and possibly indicated the dilution mixture was a bit high. No such problems with the ONR.

Obviously using a mirror is not a true analogue of paint but it did show a rinseless product can remove light oils. Maybe if someone is going to use a coating then something stronger maybe be required

Of course, it would have been better to respond to this two years ago but timing was never my strong point

Post Thanks / Like

i think if you use something like show car glaze like i do before waxing you want the oils to penetrate preferably overnight. an ipa wipe down after that would defeat the purpose for me. im just here researching paint chip repair

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I have never heard of or seen this happen before either that's why it surprised me.

Very carefully by hand using M105 and a foam applicator pad.

I use MS more than anything because I like how it wipes off. APC's tend to make the paint look smeary like IPA and you have to wipe more to get clear, no smear finish. If I use an APC I will spray it on and wipe it off using a microfiber towel.

I don't know the dilution levels for other APC's only Meguiar's as I had to get this from Jason Rose accuracy reasons... You can use either APC or APC+ to remove or strip car waxes and paint sealants from your car's paint. This is technically for what's called de-waxing but the same principals apply to removing any unwanted film or residual polshing oils off the surface for inspection.

64:1 For a regular car wax type products
    20:1 For hi-tech polymer type products

It's also recommended to chemically strip paint before damp-sanding to insure not chemicals sand off and load-up or contaminate your paper or discs.

It's a good idea to test any product on any coating if you've never worked on it before and you're unfamiliar with it.

Thank you for your great advice Mike. I do have a question, what does MS stand for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Mike is a fan of Mineral Spirits.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I believe Mike is a fan of Mineral Spirits.
    Ahh thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast