I just purchased a 2002 Camry with a neglected interior. I am trying to remove some rock hard salt and rust stains from a grey carpet under the driver side floor mat. Here is a photo of the mess. The crusted salt is 1/8" thick in some places.
Here is what I tried so far...
1) Chiselled the excess salt off of the carpet and vacuumed it up. It was about 1/8" thick in some places.
2) Spayed an entire can of Salt Eraser on the salt stains and let soak for 20 minutes. Then worked the carpet with a stiff bristle brush.
3) Next, I wet vacuumed with my Bissel Proheat carpet cleaner. Here is what it looked like.
4) Next, I spayed the carpet generously with Folex and used a stiff bristle brush to work it in really good.
5) Finally, I wet vacuumed with my Bissel Proheat carpet cleaner. Here is what it now looks like.
There carpet looks a little bit better, but it is still rock hard, and I can't get the rust stains out with Folex. Is it a hopeless cause? Anybody know what else I could do to remove the rust stains? I could live with the rock hard carpet, if I could at least get the rust stains out. Hoping someone out there knows how to do this and is willing to share their knowledge. Thanks in advance!