autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    Senior Member Jenn1270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Huntsville AL
    Posts
    1,148

    Blowers for drying car

    What kind of blower do most folks used to dry their cars. I've seen corded leaf blowers and the sidekick blower as well as the cordless leaf blowers. I am leaning towards the cordless leaf blower because I am always concerned about electric cords near water. Should this be a big concern or should I just roll my car into the garage before blowing it off too keep the cord out of the little river that forms in my driveway?

    Jenn

  2. #2
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    34,572

    Re: Blowers for drying car

    Master Blaster

    The owner of the company personally demonstrated this cool tool for me at Detail Fest and also when over the features and benefits as compared to other methods. I was impressed and sometime in the future will be making a video and posting an article on the topic.

    3 cool things,

    1) Filtered Air
    2) Heated Air
    3) Two Motors, use one or both, lots of power.

    One MAJOR factor as to how well any forced air with will blow water off pant is the surface tension on the surface of the paint.

    That is it's easier to blow-off a waxed car versus a car that has neglected paint that needs to be clayed, cleaned and polished.


    Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

    Click on a book to get your own copy.



  3. #3
    Senior Member Jenn1270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Huntsville AL
    Posts
    1,148

    Re: Blowers for drying car

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Master Blaster

    The owner of the company personally demonstrated this cool tool for me at Detail Fest and also when over the features and benefits as compared to other methods. I was impressed and sometime in the future will be making a video and posting an article on the topic.

    3 cool things,

    1) Filtered Air
    2) Heated Air
    3) Two Motors, use one or both, lots of power.

    One MAJOR factor as to how well any forced air with will blow water off pant is the surface tension on the surface of the paint.

    That is it's easier to blow-off a waxed car versus a car that has neglected paint that needs to be clayed, cleaned and polished.


    Thanks for the quick reply.

    I keep my Pilot 845ed up with some random carnuba product over it depending on what I am feeling like. I am just a bit worried about the cord and water, but I guess I will just pull it in the garage where I prefer to work anyway out of the sun.

    Jenn

  4. #4
    Senior Member termigator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    721

    Re: Blowers for drying car

    I just use the corded blower I had lying around. After getting a gas blower, I had to find a use for my corded blower and I remember somebody mentioning using blowers to get rid of excess water on the car after washing. I like how I can twist the tube on my blower to blow in the direction that I want. I especially like using it to blow the water off my rims. They do an excellent job of getting rid of water in the lugnut holes.

    Mike's definitely right about blowing a waxed car versus nonwaxed. The water seems to stick onto the nonwaxed surface and just keep spreading out instead of flying off the car.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jenn1270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Huntsville AL
    Posts
    1,148

    Re: Blowers for drying car

    I figure I am good because the water just blows off the paint when I go through the touchless car wash when I am lazy and the pollen is driving me crazy.

    I really just need something for the nooks and crannies. The master blaster looks cool but way to expensive. I like the small size of the sidekick since I am short and wielding an electric blower is a bit much.

    Jenn

  6. #6
    Senior Member WEST SIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    285

    Re: Blowers for drying car

    Jenn

    If you use a corded blower or wet vac around water make sure the outlet is GFI protected,this will indeed protect you if there is an issue with a faulty cord or appliance.An exisitng outlet that is not a GFI can be change to one.

    Aloha
    Ken

  7. #7
    Senior Member C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    3,105

    Re: Blowers for drying car

    The trusty Toro electric leaf blower does great for me! I use that in conjunction with a blow gun coming from my air compressor.
    Charlie
    Automotive Appearance Specialist - Serving Greater Lansing, Michigan
    http://www.cchautoappearance.com/

  8. #8
    Senior Member TLMitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,341

    Re: Blowers for drying car

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenn1270 View Post
    What kind of blower do most folks used to dry their cars. I've seen corded leaf blowers and the sidekick blower as well as the cordless leaf blowers. I am leaning towards the cordless leaf blower because I am always concerned about electric cords near water. Should this be a big concern or should I just roll my car into the garage before blowing it off too keep the cord out of the little river that forms in my driveway?

    Jenn
    My wet/dry Shop Vac has a removable blower for double duty. Quick detach, swap the exhaust port for the blower nozzle and away I go. No worries on water on the garage floor because all my outlets are GFCI.

    Since I always have a decent coat of something on the vehicles there's very little residue to mop up. I go around the vehicle with a WW in one hand and a utility MF in the other for door jambs, wheels etc after blowing it off. Probably no time saved but blowing out the nooks and crannies prevents that residual trickling the first time you drive it... really a bonus if you're going to polish or wax because you don't have to fight with any residual water. Another plus is no wringing out towels.

    Regardless of the weather I always wash in the garage. I see pics of people washing cars out in the sun and I don't have a clue how they do it! I gritted my teeth in the last house and swore if I ever built I was gonna have multiple hose bibs, basin, drains and hot n cold running water in the garage. Around January in NE Ohio I'm kinda happy I went for the 75,000 BTU Reznor and insulation too.

    TL <--- the clean cars in the winter too guy

  9. #9
    Senior Member C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    3,105

    Re: Blowers for drying car

    Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    I gritted my teeth in the last house and swore if I ever built I was gonna have multiple hose bibs, basin, drains and hot n cold running water in the garage. Around January in NE Ohio I'm kinda happy I went for the 75,000 BTU Reznor and insulation too.

    TL <--- the clean cars in the winter too guy
    I'm thinking when I build mine, I want to install one bay of the garage to be set up like a coin-fed car wash. Swinging arm hanging from the ceiling attached to a pressure wand, and a nice pit drain under the car.
    Charlie
    Automotive Appearance Specialist - Serving Greater Lansing, Michigan
    http://www.cchautoappearance.com/

  10. #10
    Senior Member BobbyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Southeast, MA
    Posts
    13,211

    Re: Blowers for drying car

    Jenn,

    This is the blower I bought and it's used only for drying.

    It's a Troy-Built electric and light enough and comfortable enough to dry the car off quite nicely. I think I paid $59.00 for it at Lowes right around Christmas 2009. I scrapped the vacuum tubes and bags because I don't want particles or debris becoming projectiles when I use it for drying.


    BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Waffle weave drying towels not drying anymore
    By octane in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 04:26 PM
  2. shop vac/blowers
    By Ryan6900 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 05:44 PM
  3. Blow Drying Instead of Hand Drying
    By Tank_McNamara in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-30-2010, 10:47 PM
  4. car drying
    By molarman in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 07:34 PM
  5. Metro Vacs and Blowers ....
    By killrwheels@autogeek in forum Auto Detailing Tools and Accessories
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 07:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» December 2016

27282930 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31