autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Teach them while they are young...

I'm getting excited for the 2010 detailing season to start around here. It keeps toying with me, but we are still a couple weeks away from consistent 50 degree weather. One of the reasons I'm really excited is because my oldest boy (6 1/2) is getting good at this whole detailing thing. I thought I'd post a little brag post about his training and his little brother's training.

The first job I got him started on was filling the bucket. That is something easy that any kid can do. It makes them feel good to make the bubbles. Start them out by just filling it, but as they get older then you can start teaching them about which soap to use for different cars.

The next easiest thing for little kids to do is wipe down the wheels after you have washed them. Just give them a microfiber and tell them to get the drips off. This will train their little fingers to be very detailed as well as getting the experience of wiping things down.

Graduate them from wheels to getting the drips that collect under the rear deck lid and drip out of the gas cap. It saves a lot of time to have them chase those drips around for you.

I would normally say to start them on washing the car, but they need to be a little older. Once they get tall enough, or if you start them when they are four or five, then they can start by washing the bumpers at least. I've found that those are more durable as far as paint goes and there is less chance that they are going to damage anything.

Of course, have them get more experience by washing other things too.

I've had my boy clay a few bumpers in his day too. Again, because the paint is more durable, I don't worry about him damaging anything. It is great when you have a car with bugs on the bumper or around the fog lights and you just want to keep the little guy busy for awhile. If the car is low enough, you can even start teaching him how to do it right after they get some experience.

Before you freak out that I have him working on a $150K Porsche, you should know the owner is a good friend of mine and he was standing there the whole time laughing.

Vacuuming is another great task to start kids out on. I started Erik out young as did I with his 2 year old brother. They are both expert vacuum operators at this point.

Clearly child labor laws don't apply at OCDetails. lol

Interior detailing is something your kids can help out with too. I like letting my kids loose with a bottle of Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer. It is safe on everything and it isn't that expensive, so I don't worry that they hold the bottle 2 inches from the surface when they spray. (they learn)

Windows are also a good thing, but you'll probably have to go over those again for sure. It is a good thing to have them do since it is their fingerprints all over the place anyway. My boy keeps his area of the van much cleaner knowing he is responsible for detailing it if he makes a mess.

Waxing by hand is something I'll let my boy do to my bike or on the bumpers, but since he can't reach the entire panel on many cars, I tend to do most of the waxing myself.

It takes awhile before they can be let loose with a polisher too, but once you have gone this far with them, try talking them out of a turn to hold the machine for a couple minutes.

Buffing off the wax is also something they are good at. Erik's job is to go over the car when I am done and make sure I haven't missed any spots. This goes along with their drip spotting tasks.

And of course, let's not forget about the cleanup. They love helping put things away. I'm not ready to let them loose on the cleaning of the pads, but Erik figured out the Pad Washer right after I got it out of the box and assembled.

So the point is that you should include your kids in your detailing hobby. Don't necessarily let them run loose in customer cars, but let them help maintain the family fleet. It will teach them more than you realize. Work ethic, cleanliness, team work, and a love for the best darn job in the world!

.....www.OCDetails.com.....
    Obessive Compulsive Details
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Copyright © OCDetails.com All Rights Reserved

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Teach them while they are young...

This is too funny! I love it! My dad used to do that with us when we were little - we weren't allowed to make a mess or we had to clean it up (or at least help with cleaning up). Of course, my dad was very much old school (wash with Blue Coral, dry with bath towels, wax with Turtle Wax, etc.), but it was the principle of the matter. I learned from my dad to always take care of my car (even though I didn't start doing it right until I joined Meguiar's Online). You're doing the right thing with your kids. Handsome boys, by the way!
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things I've tried to do is share with people that the way they learned car care may not have been the right way. My dad learned how to take care of cars back in the 60s. The products used on that type of paint is very different from the paint today. Well, that didn't stop him from teaching me how to care for paint as if it were still the 60s. We teach what we've learned I guess. My goal is to teach them to use the right tool for the job and not to get stuck in any particular product line or brand. There may come a time when that product won't cut it anymore... At the very least, it is awesome quality time for me and my boys. I don't feel guilty at all spending so much time in the garage or out on the driveway when I'm spending it with them.

I have no idea where they got their looks. lol They don't look a whole lot like me, and they don't look much like each other either. I guess I should be glad that their genes seem to come from above me somewhere in the family tree. Maybe they won't be cursed with arthritis in both their knees when they are still in their 20s like I was.

a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I admire how you have incorporated instilling discipline and values to your kids, work and your hobby rolled into one. Spending time with your family is priceless.

Good looking boys, indeed. Keep it up, excellent work!

Post Thanks / Like

Brotha, if you believe in luck, then having two adorable little ones like them makes you very lucky.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool of you to take the time to teach the kids about this stuff. Sometimes it's tough to slow down and explain things to the little ones, but it is well worth the effort.

I have a child of the female variety, she is 2. While she does like to help me, there are certain things she does better than others. I have a pic of her using her little flashlight checking for swirls (she ran in the house and grabbed it after seeing me with the BSFL). She is pretty proficient at QD'ing the parts she can reach, and has helped me spray panels while claying. Actually, if it involves a sprayer, she's all for it.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

I love this thread, thank you so much for sharing with us!

Post Thanks / Like

One day, I'll do the samething with my kid ( if I have one... ).
    Great thread!

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried to teach my daughter. Erik has tried too.

She usually just ends up like this though...

But most of the time she just supervises and lets us know what we should be doing. lol

I believe she is reminding us of the virtues of using microfiber instead of t-shirts. lol Gotta love kids, I tell ya.
    Last edited by OCDetails; 03-10-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: forgot to add a picture
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Post Thanks / Like

Goodness how many kids you have working at the OCD sweat shop!
    And those boys are adorable and they do look like daddy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast