autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Proper way to wash MF towels?

I'm going to buy some micro restore detergent. Is it bad to wash MF in warm water as the fibers don't like heat? I always air dry the towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proper way to wash MF towels?

Fibers melt around 400 degrees F, so no harm will come to them by washing in hot water. Actually, the hotter the better. Solubility increases with temperature for the soluble stuff like soap, and it also helps break up the grime and other stuff. For problematic wax only towels, try using very cold water to make the caked on wax brittle, then wash with hot again.

Also, dry the towels in the dryer. IF you have a gas dryer, dry on low or medium. If you have an electric dryer, you can use full heat. Nothing will happen to them unless you leave a foam pad in there or a wash mitt. So if you have any of these items in your load, use lower heat settings.

Oh yeah, I wash my pads in the washer too, with the general purpose MF towels Just keep the wool ones out - wash those by themselves or in a bucket.

The shag and paint only MF towels get washed and dried separately twice with lower soap concentrations, using the extra rinse cycle each time. They tend to be cleaner to begin with, and I want to make sure I get all lint out of them.

Local to Southeast Michigan
    Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like

I always use a Dryer and those very gimmicky spikey blue Dryer balls they really help restore the knap on the thicker MF.

Post Thanks / Like

Wash and rinse in hot water. I tumble dry till they are damp and then hang them. If you let them dry all the way in the dryer it causes static electricity.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to wait until I have at least 5-6 soiled MF's, then soak em in a bucket with hot water (180 degree's), a little bit of dawn and a little bit of laundry (Free) detergent or a little bit of Micro Restore over night, then spray em in the sink with a pressure sprayer (kitchen grade) which gets the MF's pretty clean.

Then I just throw em in the dryer on regular heat until dry. If it's a hot day, I'll hand wash 2-3 towels, then just hang em on the roll hoops and they dry rather quickly.

Some peeps whom run business' use washing machines dedicated for detailing cloths only. I only do my own stuff, and occasionally a friends car, so I only have about 5-6 soiled towels at a time (depending upon what I am working on), which is why I just soak em overnight, and just wash em by hand.

Btw, this makes "Proper Way To Wash MF Towels" thread #..........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Wash and rinse in hot water. I tumble dry till they are damp and then hang them. If you let them dry all the way in the dryer it causes static electricity.
    Good Tip!
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my older MF towels leave these tiny lint/fiber things behind. Its really annoying when Im trying to clean windows with Invisible Glass and then I see all these tiny fibers all over. What is that stuff?? I though MF wasnt supposed to lint? Is it just the cloth falling apart or something?
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 360_detail View Post
    Some of my older MF towels leave these tiny lint/fiber things behind. Its really annoying when Im trying to clean windows with Invisible Glass and then I see all these tiny fibers all over. What is that stuff?? I though MF wasnt supposed to lint? Is it just the cloth falling apart or something?
    You are correct in saying that your microfiber towel or towels are falling apart.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

I like to set the washing machine to hot water as it gets the dirt and stains out better. I use Micro-Restore Detergent to clean. I especially like its built-in measuring cap.

Do not use bleach or fabric softeners. Regular detergent should be fine. I also see people like to use vinegar on the rinse cycle.

And I dry the towels on low heat. High heat melts the fibers. At the end of the cycle, the towels are just very slightly moist, so its perfect. I let the rest air-dry. Towels seem fluffier to me when I put it in the dryer versus air drying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast