autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

long term durability study: Megs cleaner wax with Collinite 476s VS. Zaino ZAIO with Z3

The purpose of this study is to record the durablity peroformance of two famous permanent products; collinite 476s and Zaino Z3.
    the winter environment in north of Taiwan, especially in Taipei is bad, rainly, cloudy. For a daily driver, a long lasting and durability is the first criteria to choose a wax protecting your lovely car!
    This study will keep on recording with pictures and video, for a objective and optimal method, it would be fine and avoid any argument issue.

products:Megs cleaner wax with collinite 476s VS. Zaino ZAIO with Z3
    car:2001 lancer1.6, 8 years old. driving upto 550 Kilometers per week, most on hihgway, sometimes in downtown.

test panel:hood, seperated of left side(Collinite 476s) and right side(Zaino Z3)。

rinse with all purpose cleaner and turtle ice car wash, then clay the test panel, washing again.
    the both side were pre treatment with Megs cleaner wax and Zaino ZAIO, respectively.
    after 20 mins curing, topped with 476s and Z3 by hand, respectively.

2009/12/26
    after washing and waxing, the shine and wet showing of both side are hardly to distinguish by eyes.however, it's not the main purpose of this study.

I will washing the car and recording the performance of hood every 2or 3 weeks

2010/01/01
    the weather is bad during last week, my lovely car was face to hard challenge with dirt and rain on highway most days, as show as follow pics.
    the side panels were cover with road dust, and lost the beading ability, but after hand washing, the beading ability coming back quickly.

pre washing condition,the water shedding performance of 476s is better than Z3!! the shape of water left on hood, 476s side is almost like round, and the Z3 side is more long narrow

Long term durability study.
    For a daily driver, what you need is abilities of durability and protection! show and shine is second!
    It's the real challenge for the two famous durable combo!
    this study started at 2009/12, then with the regular hand car wash every 2or 3 weeks, take pictures and video records to see the water shedding and beating performance!
    this video is show the after one week driving and suffer bad weather, back to garage to test the shedding performance, left is collinite 476s pre-treated with Meg cleaner wax, right(driving side) is Zaino Z3, pre-treated with ZAIO.

--------2010/01/02 first time hand wash record------------

after one week daliy highway driving, let's check the collinite 476s VS. Zaino Z3 perofrmance, the objective mesurement with video and pictures recording, it would be the optimal method for you and me!

pre-hand wash condition:
    bith side of hood are cover with road grim, dirt, water spot....

hand wash equipments:
    1. two buckets
    2. turtle ice car wash: small bottle prepared by myself with gallon size.
    3. Costco all purpose cleaner: 3:5 diluted with water, spray on serious dirty conditioning hood and glass.
    4. sponge, wheel brush and drying towel.

hand washing:
    horizontal panels first, then vertical panels, becuse the vertical panels would get more dirt.

after washing: drying with towel, but I did not use any QD products, to see the real performance of the 476s and Z3
    from the video, we can see the left side(476s) shedding performance is better than right side(Z3),
    However, in the second video, I keep on recording the water left condtion on both side of hood,
    the 476s side Left more water, but the Z3 side left less water.

pre-hand wash condition

after hand wash condition

collinite 476s VS. Zaino Z3 shedding performance:

For my opinion, if your daliy driving envrionment is full of rain, dust, road grims..., maybe the 476s would let the dirty water shedding away from your lovely car quickly.
    in opposite, if the environment is clean and the roads you drive do not have much dirt or bugs, Z3 would be fine.
    Of course, back to my topic,
    this study will keep going on upto six months, the wintger in Taipei is rainy, cloudy, temperature and humidity is similar to the eastsouth of US like Florida, or Northwest of US Seattle.
    So, it's the real challenge to the slogan stick on 476s tin: detergent proof auto wax!
    Last edited by sugicalwu; 01-02-2010 at 04:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: long term durability study: Megs cleaner wax with Collinite 476s VS. Zaino ZAIO with Z3

Nice.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

The embedding of the Youtube videos seems to have failed.

It's pretty simple to do this, just click on the "Insert Link" button above in the message box toolbar (the one with a picture of the earth and what looks like a metal chain link). Then paste the URL of your video and click ok.

Regards,
    Matt.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: long term durability study: Megs cleaner wax with Collinite 476s VS. Zaino ZAIO with Z3

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Nice.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

The embedding of the Youtube videos seems to have failed.

It's pretty simple to do this, just click on the "Insert Link" button above in the message box toolbar (the one with a picture of the earth and what looks like a metal chain link). Then paste the URL of your video and click ok.

Regards,
    Matt.
    thanks, Matt.
    it works!!

Post Thanks / Like

looking forward to more results..

Post Thanks / Like

2010/01/23 update---------

another raining weekend here, Taipei,north part of Taiwan.
    temperature around 15 'C
    Humidity more than 80%up...

and I read a thread from UK website, how to judge a good wax or sealant by sheeting, beading, easy of clean and protection.
    How to you judge a good wax/sealant? - Detailing World

the both sides of front panel beading performance are still as far as good, although I had washed my car last weekend.

share with you! and Keep go on!

have a nice day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails long term durability study: Megs cleaner wax with Collinite 476s VS. Zaino ZAIO with Z3-img_1865-jpg   long term durability study: Megs cleaner wax with Collinite 476s VS. Zaino ZAIO with Z3-neo_img_img_1867-jpg   long term durability study: Megs cleaner wax with Collinite 476s VS. Zaino ZAIO with Z3-neo_img_img_1868-jpg   long term durability study: Megs cleaner wax with Collinite 476s VS. Zaino ZAIO with Z3-neo_img_img_1869-jpg   long term durability study: Megs cleaner wax with Collinite 476s VS. Zaino ZAIO with Z3-neo_img_img_1870-jpg  
    Last edited by sugicalwu; 01-22-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, I can't yet see any difference. They're both really durable.

Thanks for the update

Post Thanks / Like

Wasnt Z3 for non-clearcoated paint ?? I thought Z2/Z5 was the clearcoat sealants by Z ??

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    Wasnt Z3 for non-clearcoated paint ?? I thought Z2/Z5 was the clearcoat sealants by Z ??
    yeah...
    this bottle of Z3 originaly bought for my lab equipments with single stage paint.
    one day, I take a break during my busy and tough PE training...then,
    took the Z3 and collinite 476s for durability competition.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

kind of defeats the purpose

Post Thanks / Like

this is a great test. The last time my 2008 GTI was detailed was in september 2009. Washed it with ONR, Clayed, ColorX, Collinite 476s. I haven't washed it a single time since then. As of right now, my vehicle which remains parked in an apartment parking lot M-F without being driven still beads water and after a rain the paint shines like crazy. One thing about the 476s is that I applied it too thick and it took about 2 hours for me to buff it out, all done by hand. My work truck was last washed and detailed with NXT 2.0 during the same week as my GTI and the the shine is still there but the beading is dead.
    Last edited by DejaVu; 01-24-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast