autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Windshield streaks in rain...Need Help!

Ever since I could remember with my truck I have had a large number of random streaks that appear on the windshield when it's raining out and I have to use my wiper blades. A few streaks wouldn't be an issue and I probably wouldn't even be posting this, but they've taken over almost the entire windshield and it's becoming distracting. The streaks fade away about 5 seconds or so after the blade makes a pass, but when it's raining hard and the blades are moving quickly it is a constant barrage of these marks. See the picture below to see what I am talking about. I have done the following to erase the streaks, but NO luck:

1. Throroughly scrubbed with soapy Shmitt
    2. Cleaned with Stoner's Glass Cleaner and a microfiber
    3. Used a mildly abrasive polish and applicator pad
    4. Recently - switched to new wiper blades, no help

If anyone has encountered this and "beat the streaks", PLEASE let me know what technique/chemical you used. Note - this buildup is on the outside of the windshield and is not reduced by using the defroster. If you need more info to diagnose the issue just let me know, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windshield streaks in rain...Need Help!

i was getting marks like this on the inside it was residue from my dash plastic

Post Thanks / Like

Bar Keepers Friend, comes in glass canister similar to what a can of Comet looks like. This can be found in any grocery store, usually near where they have stove top cleaners. Its a powder. I had the same problem and this is what I did.
    1. Spray down your windshield with water and get it saturated.
    2. Take a sponge and wet it really good, sprinkle some product onto the sponge and work it in.
    3. Now with a spray bottle of water handy, start scrubbing the windshield, the key is to keep the area you are working on wet while doing this.
    4. Once you have scrubbed the entire windshield wipe it all off with paper towels/microfiber. DO NOT let this product touch your paint, it is coustic.
    5. Now follow up with your favorite glass cleaner.

This is the only thing I have ever found that works. The stuff is very inexpensive too, I think I payed 2 dollars for it at my local area Price Chopper.

Post Thanks / Like

The Spray Clay and Speed Sponge in the Diamondite Glass Cleaning System Kit will fix this too.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever used RainX or a similar product? I've encountered the same problem when using RainX after about a month or so, it streaks pretty bad when its wearing off. I recently switched toAquapel and I've had good results eliminating this problem. I use a clay bar first to give the Aquapel a fresh surface to be applied to.

Post Thanks / Like

Use DP Glass Restorer ... then coat with Aquapel. Diamonites Spray Clay helped too. It looks like water etching on glass from past exposure to the elements.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys/girls, I tried the Bartender's Friend cleaner with no luck. I believe the windhshield is somewhat cleaner, but the streaks were still there. I then tried claying a section to see if that helped. The streaks were still very present in the glass when I finished cleaning, so out of frustration I started rubbing my hand over the windshield confused on why this wouldn't go away and I noticed I could feel tiny ridges in the surface of the glass. Imagine very small little humps in the glass that you could barely feel under your fingertips. Once I discovered this, I called my friend into the garage and he agreed he could feel the bumps. I packed up my supplies and called it a night since I was sure I had nothing in my bag that could fix this.

How can this be fixed? Is this a defect in the glass? Can the etching of glass be this dramatic and smooth? My truck is an '09 with only 7k miles on it (Nissan Frontier), so I would be suprised it would experience this much weathering in this short of time. Once again I am throwing this question back out to you fine people. Any suggestions in light of this new discovery??

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, this is why I avoid glass cleaners that contain silicone or wax, when I use a product on the windshield.

It's caused by the pores of the glass getting clogged.

DON'T use a product like Aquapel or Rain-X. That's what caused it. Aquapel is better, but it still won't be squeeky clean which is what the wipers need to work.

You need to use a waterspot remover. The DP one that was mentioned should work or maybe even the glass scrub product, but I can't vouch either of these for it as I use something locally made.

You will need to unclog the pores of the glass in order for this to stop. It will take a lot of elbow grease and is very time consuming but if you keep up on it every time you wash the car it won't take more than a couple of minutes each additional time.

NOTE: Only use this where your wipers wipe as this will stop the water from beading on the window. It will make the glass hydrophilic rather than hydrophobic.

Post Thanks / Like

I have only tried two products - A-MAZ (AG does not sell). It was recommended by a windshield replacement place. It is a thick messy paste. It worked great on water spots once you got the routine down.

DP Glass Restorer seems to work too for water spots but just not as aggressive as A-MAZ but much easier to use by hand or machine. With a DA (UDM), 4-in orange pad, high speed, and lots of pressure it seemed to work.

I actually got faster results by hand with a terry cloth (better bite) but it was too much work over a large section of glass.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend trying the Diamondite Glass Repair System Kit for Machine Application. This kit will have to be applied using a DA or Rotary Polisher. This kit will help smooth out the glass surface and remove mineral etching and mild scratches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast