autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How Cold Can It Be For Paint Correction, Waxing/Sealing?

Well, in a matter of just 24hrs., it appears that summer has left us here in Western New York and fall is settling in..............the usual......falling temps., rain, wind, ECK!! I have gotta move!

The info. I am seeking is undoubtedly product specific along with other ambient factors, BUT, how cold can the air temperature be for decent paint correction? Ballpark? Experience and issues encountered as the temperature drops?? I have tried sealants at cooler temps. and everything is a little more difficult (application/removal, etc.) to say nothing of what it does to the ole' body.

Have an unheated garage, along with Optimum Compound, Polish II, Finish, Poli-Seal, etc.. Assume car surfaces will be ~ the same as ambient.

The temperature, I am sure, will go up again, but in about 30+/- days, the bottom will begin to fall out here...............nothing I hate more than 40F and raining!

Thx for the insight.

See ya.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Cold Can It Be For Paint Correction, Waxing/Sealing?

40ºF is the coldest temp I have done effective work in.......for what that's worth.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

First off, you might consider adding some heat to your unheated garage.
    I heat mine with a kerosene fired construction heater.

As far as temperatures for products, I have good luck with about everything down to about 60 degrees. In the 50's, some products get a little iffy for removal and streaking. In the 40's, many products get iffy. In the 30's, I don't even bother anymore. Other than just washing, anything under 50 becomes more challenge than I want. Washing isn't fun, but at least I can do it. I wear rubber gloves and use warm/hot water and a rinseless wash product. Actually I use the warm/hot water year round since I feel it cleans much better.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Post Thanks / Like

mid 40's to early 50's is the lowest I would guestimate that a majority of corrective products would work in. Waxes depending on it being synthetic or coming off like butter (maxwax, souveran, ssii, etc..) might be able to get a little chilly. Im in FL, so I cannot offer too much insight into this.. hehe
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Where you live, mid-40's to 50F is about as cold as it gets.....period. That's not winter!

With all the sun in FL, even on a cool day, it's better than here given the lack of daylight in this part of the hemisphere. But, seems like most answers are indicating anything into the 40's get's tough to do. I'm mostly interested in what happens during correction.......

@ 40F's, it will probably be more uncomfortable for ME than difficulty with the products!

See ya.

Quote Originally Posted by ryandamartini View Post
    mid 40's to early 50's is the lowest I would guestimate that a majority of corrective products would work in. Waxes depending on it being synthetic or coming off like butter (maxwax, souveran, ssii, etc..) might be able to get a little chilly. Im in FL, so I cannot offer too much insight into this.. hehe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenorplayer23 View Post
    Where you live, mid-40's to 50F is about as cold as it gets.....period. That's not winter!

With all the sun in FL, even on a cool day, it's better than here given the lack of daylight in this part of the hemisphere. But, seems like most answers are indicating anything into the 40's get's tough to do. I'm mostly interested in what happens during correction.......

@ 40F's, it will probably be more uncomfortable for ME than difficulty with the products!

See ya.
    I know The temp will still mess with a few products.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!