autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

best tire sidewall shine??

i heard people saying hwo good meg's tire shine is and i had bought a can... but i could never get it to work right and the directions on the can werent too good... and plus it was hard to keep from spraying the car's paint cuz of wind/trying to aim/etc....... and then it doesnt even really shine up my tires? im not sure if it has to do with what tires i have... i have firestone firehawk 245s on a 16" rim

its weird... even one time washing the car i noticed the tire had a brownish tint to it and i washed it off with a brush with the car wash stuff i was using on the car and it seemed to get it off?

what am i doing wrog..? i spray the stuff, let it sit and then rinse it off once it seems like i should... i even tried just letting it stay on untill it all fell off.. that didnt work either.... i also use meg's chrome wheel cleaner and that stuff works well imho.

any ideas why my tire shine is not working and/or suggest a good product

Post Thanks / Like

Re: best tire sidewall shine??

Is it an aerosol tire spray or a regular pump spray with the liquid sitting in a clear bottle?

I am a big fan of the Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Spray. I apply it by spraying some onto a foam tire shine applicator pad and then spreading it onto the tire. I never directly spray the tire shine straight onto the tire...that's when it becomes runny and it sprays on the wheel and sometimes on the vehicle itself...I hate that method.

Spraying the stuff onto any foam applicator pad and then working it into the tire has multiple benefits. I end up using much less product, it applies a nice even coat, and it bonds better to the tire for better durability. The only drawbacks are that this method takes more time and you may get some tire shine on your hands.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

hmph thats an idea i should deffinately try...... i honestly dont know waht form of meg's tireshine i have because i am out of town... i do know its in the can with a aeresol top, not the pump style.... but yeah i should deffinately try that... do you rinse it off at all or do you just let it sit??

anyone swear by gels?
    Last edited by mammoth713; 08-10-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post

its weird... even one time washing the car i noticed the tire had a brownish tint to it and i washed it off with a brush with the car wash stuff i was using on the car and it seemed to get it off?
    The science behind the modern rubber formulas used by major tire manufactures today is both complex and interesting. The rubber itself contains and ingredient called Antiozonant.

Antiozonant is an ingredient that helps to prevent the exterior rubber surface from cracking, checking, oxidizing, and deteriorating. The rubber is designed in such a way as to constantly work its way to the outside of the tire and as such, continually replenish the exterior surface with fresh antiozonant.

After the antiozonant works its way to the outside of the tire and is exposed to the ozone in the air, it turns brown. The technical term for this effect is blooming.

This is why you see a brown film on the surface your tires. You can wash your tires with soap or an all-purpose cleaner and remove this film, but in a few weeks, it's back. That's because the antiozonant continually works its way to the outside of the tires every time you drive your car.

Thus before applying a dressing you really need to do a thorough job of cleaning the outer surface of the tire to remove any spent antiozonants as well as any previously applied dressing and this will prepare the rubber to accept a fresh application of tire dressing.

Meguiar's Tire Dressing Options
    To maintain your tires and keep them looking sharp with a deep, dark black color, Meguiar's offers six unique tire dressings that treat the rubber with Meguiar's own special conditioning agents as well as patented antiozonants that replenish your tires' original antiozonants and keep your tires looking blacker longer than generic tire dressings and protectants.

Special polymers actually penetrate and cure to the surface to form a long lasting barrier-film that protects your tires from inclement weather and exposure to corrosive elements. These include:

Hot Shine Tire Spray (Trigger Spray)
    High gloss formula turns tires a dark black with high shine
    Hot Shine delivers a high gloss shine in an aerosol or trigger application. Highly water-resistant polymers combined with antiozonant technology keep tires looking blacker longer, while preventing cracking, browning, and premature aging. The high gloss formula gives your tires a “wet-look” with a dark shine.

G12032 ..... $9.99
    32 ounce spray bottle

Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Gel
    Meguiar's® Hot Shine Tire Gel delivers long-lasting, intense shine without annoying overspray, drips or mess! The smooth, concentrated gel application delivers consistent results for even gloss and deep shine. Engineered to reduce sling, the advanced gel formula helps protect against tire fading and cracking to ensure tires always look hot!

G12416 ..... $8.99
    16 ounce bottle

NXT Generation Insane Shine Tire Coating
    NXT Generation Insane Shine Tire Coating is the ULTIMATE in high gloss for tires - a deep, dark, insane wet look that is fast and easy just spray and walk away. Engineered Synthetic Polymers (ESP) combined with specially designed antiozonants create a mirror-like shine that prevents browning and premature aging.

G13115 ..... $9.99
    15 ounce aerosol can

Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Coating (Aerosol Spray)
    Hot Shine's high gloss formula gives your tires a wet-look with a dark shine. By combining highly water-resistant polymers with antiozonant technology, Hot Shine keeps your tires looking blacker longer while preventing cracking, browning and premature aging. Available in a 15 oz. aerosol or 24 oz. trigger spray
    G13815 ..... $7.99
    15 ounce aerosol can

Hot Shine Tire Foam
    G13919 Hot Shine Tire Foam. Our new foam technology breaks clear on the tire (with no milky mess) leaving a deep, black, rich shine. In one easy step, the thick, luxurious foam coats the tire, quickly penetrates, lifts and releases dirt and road grime leaving behind an even, rich shine.

G13919 ..... $7.99
    19 ounce aerosol can

Gold Class Endurance High Gloss
    Endurance® continues to be a favorite among enthusiasts looking for extra long lasting performance with a great look. Our unique formulations stop tires from turning brown and eliminate the mess of overspray, drips, streaks and spotted driveways. 16 oz. High Gloss Gel.

G7516 ..... $9.99
    16 ounce bottle

Second, the Sun is a major contributor to drying out and cracking anything, both the visible sun rays, (light), and the invisible sun rays emitted by the sun.

Besides the rays then theirs the heat created by the sun to the surface and the environment. The worst areas for drying and cracking are places were the tires are exposed the extreme sun for a majority of the year. For example out here in the desert where I live the sun pretty much deteriorates everything that's not covered up and protected. Goes with the territory.

Meguiar's tests all their products to be safe for the surface they are formulated to be used on as long as the products are used according to directions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    hmph thats an idea i should deffinately try...... i honestly dont know waht form of meg's tireshine i have because i am out of town... i do know its in the can with a aeresol top, not the pump style.... but yeah i should deffinately try that... do you rinse it off at all or do you just let it sit??

anyone swear by gels?
    Yes and no. My preferred tire gel is Armorall Extreme Tire Shine Gel because of the price, ease of application, and durability. I have not tried any of the Meguiar's Tire Shine Gels because I've been so happy with the Armorall Tire Gel. I like to have both tire sprays and tire gels on my shelf at all times because I just randomly prefer to use one or the other, depending on the situation and the car I'm working on.

Edit: You're not supposed to rinse the tires after applying tire shine. Tire shine usually needs 15 minutes to an hour of cure time before driving to prevent sling.
    Last edited by Emile; 08-10-2009 at 05:54 PM.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

I dont prefer aerosols as they can get on finish. I dont like gels cause they often spit if not applied sparingly and rebuffed. I find that water based dressings are my preference. I use 303 for matte, Optimum for matte with a bit of gloss, and Poorboys Bright/Bold for gloss. All dry fast and look good between washings.

No back to your post ...

Post Thanks / Like

I use Pinnicle Black Onyx Tyre Gel.

When you first apply it, it looks horrible and greasy but after sitting overnight, it seems to fully soak into the rubber and leaves a beautiful liquorice look to the tyre that seems to last for a good while too. I was quite dissapointed when I first used it because it was so wet and greasy (I applied it at around 10 at night with my 1000w halogens for light), but the next morning WOW! I was pleasantly surprised!

It will sling if you don't let it cure for 1-2 hours first.

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang black diamond works great.

Post Thanks / Like

wow thanks for all the insight.. yeah i deffinately get that brown on the side every once in a while...

my car is outside 90% of the time and i live in upstate ny... so its not too sunny (especially this freakin "summer")

anywho

i'll trade you my 00 camaro z28 for that vette.... mines black also ahahahahah

heres a pic of it... i wish it looked even 1/2 as good as your vette finish wise... the guy who i bought it from really neglected the car and lived in the middle of no where.... i am going to do a full detail on it when i get back in town (in pics only has wash and wax, thats why its in the garage sideways to wax it if it rained)..so bear with the pics

BUT ANYWAY... continue throwing out tire shine ideas please... they do help me

Last edited by mammoth713; 08-11-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I dressed up my tires after cleaning them and was literally shocked to see this!!

Distinction of image on a tyre sidewall!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast