autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I Got SuperGlue On My Car Paint! How Do I Take It All Off?

Use acetone like etnops' said. But you dont have to worry about it damaging your paint since automotive paint is two part catalyzed urethane. I even tested this on a spare hood. Soaked a rag with acetone and left it on the hood for 10 mintes. I checked afterwards an there was no damage at all within that time period. Also checked in intervals of days to weeks to see if there was subsurface deterioration and there wasnt any.

What you dont want to do is get it on plastics cause it will eat it up so tape up the corner light.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    Use acetone like etnops' said. But you dont have to worry about it damaging your paint since automotive paint is two part catalyzed urethane. I even tested this on a spare hood. Soaked a rag with acetone and left it on the hood for 10 mintes. I checked afterwards an there was no damage at all within that time period. Also checked in intervals of days to weeks to see if there was subsurface deterioration and there wasnt any.

What you dont want to do is get it on plastics cause it will eat it up so tape up the corner light.
    Not all automotive paint is urethane. MY car happens to be, because I had it custom painted, but I think most cars are acrylic enamel, water based enamel, or acrylic lacquer if it was made say before 1970. What major auto manufacturer uses two part catalyzed urethane? I don't know of any.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ I guess I forgot to mention that this pertains to the modern age cars that are not single stage and acrylic enamel/lacquer based. I think most all auto manufacturers now and days use two part catalyzed urethane. The two parts is just urethane paint and hardener/activator.
    Last edited by Lasthope05; 07-27-2009 at 07:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for the acetone, but be careful, tape off the light as recommended, and apply the acetone with a cue tip for precision.

I know that's how I get superglue off my fingers

Post Thanks / Like

Finger nail polish remover will also remove super glue from your fingers, but I don't know what it will do to your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Finger nail polish remover will also remove super glue from your fingers, but I don't know what it will do to your paint.
    Acetone and any chemical paint cleaner that contains petroleum distillates should get it clean without damaging the paint.
    Derrick
    Last edited by Derrick; 07-28-2009 at 01:01 AM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: I Got SuperGlue On My Car Paint! How Do I Take It All Off?

I have also encountered this delima while working on various cars and trucks. I have an old fender that I have also tested this solution on many times in many different spots and it has worked 97% of the time. First and foremost please understand I own an auto shop and have vast knowledge automobiles. Second thing you need to know is DO NOT USE THIS METHOD IF YOUR CLEAR COAT IS DAMAGED OR HAS SUN OR WEATHER DAMAGE. If you attempt this on a veichle whose clear coat is damaged it will remove the paint. Now I have used this method on many veichles with this stupid glue issue, here is a list of a few things to gather before you get started, 3 to 4 qtips, 2 clean dry soft cloths, a bright work light, and some standard paint stripper, a small netal or glass container.

The following is the best method that I have tested and used without damaging the car.

Start by lighting the area to be worked on so that all the super glue can be easily seen, next put a small amount of paint stripper into the metal or glass container. Keep all your stuff close to the work area for you will have to work rather fast. Using one of the qtips dab it into the paint stripper and work it into the super glue for about 4 to 8 seconds then using the dry cloth wipe the area dry immediately, flip the cloth and wipe again. If the area still has super glue repeat these steps until the glue is removed. Once the glue is removed my reccommendation is to wash the car, and then wax the area well.

I know that using paint stripper sounds a little scary but I once had this issue with my wifes new grand am, I tried mineral spirits, fingernail polish remover, gas, disel fuel, goof off, goo be gone, as well as a multitude of other products to no avail. The paint stripper did the trick in less than 5 mins.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had super glue all over the side of my brand new candy apple red semi truck. Was livid, my husband used Bush Aluminum Polish and got the glue off without messing up my paint job or taking off the clear coat. Worked like a charm, let glue dry, put polish on let it sit and then use a soft cloth to rub it off. works like a charm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12