autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How powerful is P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner?

So I had about 234oz (7 liters) of P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner, but after today maybe I have around 200oz as I applied it to my G35 Coupe's wheels earlier as part of my wash process.

I used so much product because I applied it onto the tire sidewalls, the rims, and the wheel wells just to see how powerful the stuff is. It wasn't a very good indicator because I regularly use wheel cleaners that make me cough but are quite thorough.

Being tired of foul-smelling cough-inducing wheel cleaners, I'd like to go with the P21S Gel but I'm curious as to how effective it is. I know the cleaning power of the Gel formula is based on time, but here's an example:

I'm going to clean up my dad's S550 this week-end and the wheel barrels have never been cleaned...it's a bit over 2 years old and has about 20,000 miles on it. Can P21S Gel brake up and remove all that caked-on brake dust? I have a "non-acid" (manufacturer's claim) wheel cleaner that I think can definitely do the job at full strength, but using it is hard to tolerate since cleaning a car is supposed to be enjoyable! I'd rather use the Gel, but at the same time it's very costly and I don't want to waste so much product when it's not going to get the job done.

Somebody please advise.

Thanks,
    Emile
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How powerful is P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner?

P21S Gel is my go to wheel cleaner. I'd say it is not very strong. The thing about it is that you can let it dwell on any wheel for quite awhile. I've seen some nasty ones on here cleaned up well after a couple of apps. It seems when I let it dwell it dries out so I need another app anyway. For the really bad ones I use DP Cleanse All first followed with P21S.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: How powerful is P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner?

For the really bad ones I use DP Cleanse All first followed with P21S.

What would be the purpose of using two wheel cleaners?

Is one not good enough without the other? Seems there's a lot of advice here lately recommending a double or triple application of different products. Is that really needed, or will either of the above do the job without the other?

Use DP Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner instead of a garage full of specialized cleaners. It often works better, costs less, and it certainly takes up less space in the garage!

Wouldn't it be better to use the *cling* product first? More time, more soak, better results?

Just asking. Maybe we're cleaning a wheel a second time that's already clean from the first step.

Emile,

I'm buying a Zep foaming pump sprayer (quart size) today. I'll be mixing a teaspoon of Sparkly Soap (high foam soap) with Megs APC+ 4:1. I think the APC+ in foam may cling longer and clean more thoroughly. I'll let you know!

DP Cleanse All is also a tar, sap and bug remover???? Anybody use that for such purposes? Does it work as claimed? It's 3 times the price of APC+.
    Last edited by Blackfire; 07-10-2009 at 06:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The DP Clease All is a strong alkaline cleaner that I don't wish to use on all wheels. Only the worst. Link DP Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner works as a bug & tar remover, a wheel cleaner, a tire cleaner, an engine degreaser, a convertible top cleaner, a vinyl

Post Thanks / Like

The P21S Gel is just mad expensive. When I was spraying it on my wheels, I felt like every spray was costing me 50 cents or so, and it really probably was!
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for a safe wheel cleaner, with a nice size and price, that will work pretty well consider the Griots Wheel Cleaner.