autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting out....what products to purchase?

Hi Everyone!

First off, thanks to all the members here as I have been reading TONS since I stumbled upon this site yesterday!

I just purchased my wife a Mini Cooper Clubman S, Horizon Blue, with roof rails and black C-pillars. WE are in LOVE with this vehicle!!!!

I also own 3 other vehicles....a 2005.5 VW Jetta TDI Platinum Gray and a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited Patriot Blue. The other vehicle is my '93 Jeep Wrangler YJ that is black with the obligatory paint destruction on the hood (very common for this jeep) but I am not as concerned with this as I use it for four wheeling/rock climbing.

I have a garage full of various and sundry car care products and am ready to make the step up to a higher quality set of products. In my purchase, I will be looking to get a Porter Cable 7424 polisher as the old Black and Decker rotary beast I have created more problems than it was worth years and years ago.

The 2009 Mini has a couple of "issues" so far. The first being some swirls on the black A Pillars and a tiny bit of swirling on the C Pillars/Bumper. The second issue is that there are some water spots on the windows, specifically the sunroof, where apparently rain water got on it and set for a while (it was on the lot for 4 weeks).

I have not detailed a car properly according to my reading ever. I have tried my best but really didn't know what I was doing so I have induced some problems on our VW and Liberty but nothing severe as paint burning....just some swirls.

So, I am looking at purchasing products tonight or tomorrow so that I can detail my wife's baby next weekend and then attack the VW the weekend after that. From that point on, I will be out of the detailing for a few months as I will be having a total knee replacement and detailing will be out of the question!

I have heard good things about the Prima set of products from folks on the Mini forums, but I have never heard about them anywhere else.

As with anyone I want to get the Best Bang for the Buck but also want to have quality products that will really show off my wife's mini!

In the past I have only used Meguiar's products because they were available at the local store and once my attempts at detailing were done I liked the results but did not love them. Case in point, I go to classic car shows and the auto show when it comes to town. I am simply AMAZED at how beautiful these cars look! The deep rich clarity is simply amazing.

So since I am a total new person to this I am looking for your recommendations! Here is what I have in my aresenal right now:

Buckets
    2 Chenille 100% wash mitts
    TONS of microfiber towels (got a bunch over the years)
    Stoner's invisible glass
    Meguiar's Quick Clay and detailing spray
    Aerospace 303
    Hose and nozzle
    Two 100% cotton bath towels
    Painter's blue tape

I want to start this off right with her car and I know that I want a PC 7424 because it will make things that much easier AND produce a better result....A buddy has one and details alot with Meguiars stuff but does not look like the show cars.

The AGO site has some nice packages but I do not have the slightest idea on where to begin.

My old plan of action was to wash, dry, clay, wax. I am ready to step up to the polishing/swirl removing now. So what do you suggest?

A shopping list from here would be great so that I know just what to order! What types of pads, what types of polish/wax....etc.

Here is another tidbit....we live on a dirt road so we get dust n the car every time we drive out of the garage. I like to keep the car clean so I wash all our vehicles with the exception of the '93 Jeep every weekend or so.

Thanks again for all the suggestions....I truly appreciate it!

Regards,

Mike

PS....I do not know the difference between synthetic waxes and carnuba. I also do not know if paste or liquid wax is better. I want to achieve a deep shine that is "liquid" like...rich and beautiful. I have seen peoples pictures here and they are simply amazing!
    Last edited by Mike1968NM; 05-30-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Additional info

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting out....what products to purchase?

I would suggest the Flex DA polisher. The Flex DA is smoother than the Porter Cable, and has more polishing power, about 90% of a rotary, with the safety of an orbital. If I was buying a polisher, that would be the one I would buy. Sure, it's twice the cost of a Porter, but it's made in Germany and it's a better, smoother machine that is going to save you time. Sealants/synthetics usually last longer and are slicker, but don't have the deep rich wet look of a carnauba. Pastes usually last longer than liquids but liquids are easier to apply. As far as bang for the buck with waxes I would highly recommend the Poorboy's Natty's Red paste wax. As far as sealants, I would say the best looking is Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. You can put a wax over a sealant to get the greater durability of a sealant with the wet rich look of a wax. Most waxes attract dust, but Natty's paste wax attracts it a lot less, and so that is another reason to go with Natty's wax. Zaino sealant lasts longest, almost a year compared to Wolfgang's about 6 months, although Zaino has a clear coat plasticy look that some feel looks cold. I would say Wolfgang DGPS topped with Natty's Red for you, unless you want to go for the Natty's blue, which will more subtly enhance the blue color in the paint, and looks deeper, but lacks the wetness and shine of the Natty's Red.
    Menzerna polishes are the best.
    Last edited by Blackthorn One; 05-30-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackthornone,

Thanks for the info. Why do you recommend the Flex over the Porter Cable? Price does matter in this case. With the Flex being almost $300 and the PC being half that, what justifies the differential?

Regards,

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I edited my post earlier to say that the Flex was smoother and more powerful, with 90% of the power of a rotary, with the safety of an orbital. If price really is an issue for you, then a lot of people are happy with the Porter. A more powerful machine can more quickly and easily polish out scratches. As for myself, I really like nice tools, and so I would rather start out buying the Flex than Buy the Porter, and then later buy the Flex, and end up spending more money. The Flex is a more powerful and effective machine and a lot of people on the forum talk about how much they would like to upgrade to the Flex. Like I said, I'd rather just buy one machine, and have the one that is the best and have no regrets about it because it wasn't like I spent money on a lesser, though still a quality and worthwhile machine like the Porter, and then regret having to but two machines. My philosophy is that if it's something you really want, eventually you forget how much it costs, but if it isn't what you want the most, you never forget how much it costs.
    Last edited by Blackthorn One; 05-30-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If price dicates consider the PC/Ceramiclear Kit ...it offers alot of bang for the buck and will work on all your rides. The smaller pads and Menzerna polishes rock. If you decide to spend a bit more, then consider the Flex/Ceramiclear kit. It is a nice upgrade and worth the extra $$ in most opinions, but its your expense initially to bear and as such should be your choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    If price dicates consider the PC/Ceramiclear Kit ...it offers alot of bang for the buck and will work on all your rides. The smaller pads and Menzerna polishes rock. If you decide to spend a bit more, then consider the Flex/Ceramiclear kit. It is a nice upgrade and worth the extra $$ in most opinions, but its your expense initially to bear and as such should be your choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Well for one the Flex does not have 90% of the power of the rotary and secondly if it did how would it be any safer than a rotary? As far as being safer it all comes down to the operator of the tool itself. To the op, you will be fine with the pc and some 5 and 4 inch pads with the Menzerna polishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you really think this ?? ( Flex was smoother and more powerful, with 90% of the power of a rotary)I really don't think so
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    Do you really think this ?? ( Flex was smoother and more powerful, with 90% of the power of a rotary)I really don't think so
    That was my understanding, from someone else on this forum who posted this. I apologize if I spread bad info. If this is untrue, what IS the difference between the two in your opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthornone View Post
    That was my understanding, from someone else on this forum who posted this. I apologize if I spread bad info. If this is untrue, what IS the difference between the two in your opinion?
    Well first off lets take into the fact that the flex limits you too only being able to use there backing plate .So you can't use those nice small 4"pads for close places ,Sure you can buy the edge setup but then you have to use just the edge pads not really great there.Also i can correct a problem area in minutes not hours which is a great time saver.Also my machine is mostly made of metal only outside is plastic where the flex inners that drive the backing plate is plastic,Also i still see people complaining about heat build up and backing plates melting.I'am not saying it's a bad machine i still want to try one just to takeit for a test drive.Sure the learning curve on a rotary is alot more and you can do some damage but like any machine in the wrong hands you can do damage.I don't know what everyone is affaird with using a rotary .Most of my learning was reading watching video's and help from other members on this and other forums.If there is some thing else i can think of i will repost it's late and i'am old almost past my bed time LOL
    Lamborghini Broward

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast