autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Micro fiber towels leave scratches

I'm in the process of posishing a new paint job on my motorcycle. I color sanded to 2500 grit. Followed with orange CCS pad with Meguires Med Cut then white pad and fine cut followed by gray pad and No.9 swirl remover. The parts are coming out good except I noticed after using the No.9 I still had some scratches. These scratches were not circular (I'm using a Makita circular polisher) but in a straight across pattern (the same as I wipe off the slight haze that remains after using the No.9). I couldn't figure out where these were coming from and then I thought maybe it was the rags. So under very bright light (which is how I'm doing all the steps) I wiped with light pressure in a X pattern to see what would happen. And to my dismay I discovered that it was the towels leaving the scratches. I'm carefull not to cross contaminate the towels (use a different one for each compound) and these were clean towels. These are the green and blue towels that came with the CCS 7.5" and spot buff pad kits. Are these the wrong towels to use or is my technique off. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Micro fiber towels leave scratches

bump

Super Member Joshs2013MSAltimaSL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of towels are they?
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Post Thanks / Like

This is very interesting. Since my car has slight swirls I created, I am very interested in which towels....micro fiber towels cause swirls.

Sal Zaino is big on stating use only 100% Cotton towels. I have used both and created swirls....and why I got the PC and supplies to get them out.

Help!

Post Thanks / Like

have any of you tried Pakshak towels, they are the only ones that I have found that do not scratch my vette. Since they past that test, those are the only towels I use.

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you store your towels?

What do you wash them with?

Do you check them before they touch your paint?

Post Thanks / Like

these are either the indigo cobras or the other blue ones, but I think they're the same towels in general.

I've induced marring on paint with what I thought were good/safe towels. I don't know what else to say. Sounds like you've narrowed it down to the towel. Was there any compound/polish residue that could have been dragged into the towel? Leftover abrasives can easily get caught up in the middle of a buff off?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tallyho View Post
    I'm in the process of posishing a new paint job on my motorcycle. I color sanded to 2500 grit. Followed with orange CCS pad with Meguires Med Cut then white pad and fine cut followed by gray pad and No.9 swirl remover. The parts are coming out good except I noticed after using the No.9 I still had some scratches. These scratches were not circular (I'm using a Makita circular polisher) but in a straight across pattern (the same as I wipe off the slight haze that remains after using the No.9). I couldn't figure out where these were coming from and then I thought maybe it was the rags. So under very bright light (which is how I'm doing all the steps) I wiped with light pressure in a X pattern to see what would happen. And to my dismay I discovered that it was the towels leaving the scratches. I'm carefull not to cross contaminate the towels (use a different one for each compound) and these were clean towels. These are the green and blue towels that came with the CCS 7.5" and spot buff pad kits. Are these the wrong towels to use or is my technique off. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks.
    Do a CD test with your towels, if scratches the cd, use them for interior, wheels, or engine work.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

the towels are the Cobra 80/20 towels that come with the CCS pad kits. I wash them with the Cobra Quick Cleanse powder and hang them to dry in the laundry room. I usually wash by hand. I washed them this eve in the washing machine with extra rinse cycle. I'll try again tomorrow and let you know how it works out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tallyho View Post
    the towels are the Cobra 80/20 towels that come with the CCS pad kits. I wash them with the Cobra Quick Cleanse powder and hang them to dry in the laundry room. I usually wash by hand. I washed them this eve in the washing machine with extra rinse cycle. I'll try again tomorrow and let you know how it works out.
    You actually want a 70/30 towel, that probably is your cause of the scratches, 80/20 tend to scratch.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast