autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP! I messed my windshield up!!!

Im not even going to explain the solvent uses for gas to you. On glass its fine.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a new windshield installed today...

Guys take it from a dumb noob...dont put wheel cleaner on anything but wheels...
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 360_detail View Post
    Im not even going to explain the solvent uses for gas to you. On glass its fine.
    From your signature, I would take it that you are in some way involved with firefighting.
    Have you seen this information from the National Fire Protection Agency?

Keep gasoline out of children's sight and reach. Children should never handle gasoline. If fire does start while handling gasoline, do not attempt to extinguish the fire or stop the flow of gasoline. Leave the area immediately, and call for help. Do not use or store gasoline near possible ignition sources (i.e., electrical devices, oil- or gas-fired appliances, or any other device that contains a pilot flame or a spark). Store gasoline outside the home (i.e., in a garage or lawn shed) in a tightly closed metal or plastic container approved by an independent testing laboratory or the local or state fire authorities. Never store gasoline in glass containers or non-reusable plastic containers (i.e., milk jugs). Store only enough gasoline necessary to power equipment and let machinery cool before refueling it. Never use gasoline inside the home or as a cleaning agent. Clean up spills promptly and discard clean-up materials properly. Do not smoke when handling gasoline. Never use gasoline in place of kerosene. Use caution when fueling automobiles. Do not get in and out of the automobile when fueling. Although rare, an electrical charge on your body could spark a fire, especially during the dry winter months. Only fill portable gasoline containers outdoors. Place the container on the ground before filling and never fill containers inside a vehicle or in the bed of a pick-up truck. Follow all manufacturers instructions when using electronic devices (those with batteries or connected to an electrical outlet) near gasoline.

It is posted on the Internet that something like 50% of home fires involve gasoline. That doesn't make it true, but it does make it worth thinking about.

Check your local burn center as to how many of their patients are there because of a gasoline fire.

Gasoline is definitely a solvent, but there's lots of solvents that are much safer.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    From your signature, I would take it that you are in some way involved with firefighting.
    Have you seen this information from the National Fire Protection Agency?

Gasoline is definitely a solvent, but there's lots of solvents that are much safer.
    Exactly. As a firefighter i know exactly the dangers of gasoline and how to store it and use it safely. This is a do as I say not as I do scenario. I didnt have another solvent on hand at the time. As I also work in the ER as an EMT I can ALSO tell you that 90% of burns happen from stupid people doing dangerous things with gasoline or other combustibles. Those NFPA guidelines are written as if everyone was a moron.

Also its the fumes that burn with gas not the liquid. And I used a DAB on a rag to scrub my windshield. And then rinsed and cleaned the windshield. I properly disposed of the rag.

Guns are dangerous in the wrong hands as well, in a trained persons hand another story!

I appreciate your caution though! Just know that the gas was in good hands!
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guys take it from a dumb noob...dont put wheel cleaner on anything but wheels...
    I seen an employee grab a strong wheel cleaner by mistake and spray it all over a brand new car once. He was supposed to be using a solvent to remove the undercoating overspary. It ended up staining the paint like it did on your window and we had to compound a brand new car to remove it.

He was such a big pot head!
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I seen an employee grab a strong wheel cleaner by mistake and spray it all over a brand new car once. He was supposed to be using a solvent to remove the undercoating overspary. It ended up staining the paint like it did on your window and we had to compound a brand new car to remove it.

He was such a big pot head!
    I wish I could claim that...I was just being lazy cause it was my dirty jeep and I was pressed for time. It wont happen again. The bottle said NOTHING about what happened but from now on Ill only use that kind of stuff on wheels....and use elbow grease for everything else.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you sure went through alot of hassel. I think after the third step I would have called it quits

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reason_being View Post
    Wow, you sure went through alot of hassel. I think after the third step I would have called it quits
    The acid etching was very bad....it looked like someone sprayed 303 on my windshield and let it run down...and then it dried all cloudy....except it WOULDNT COME OFF!
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

likewise, dont use gas for anything other then your motor....sorry dude, you can explain all you want it isnt going to impress me that gas is great for home use as a solvent so much that everyone should have a spray bottle filled with it.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vinnier6 View Post
    likewise, dont use gas for anything other then your motor....sorry dude, you can explain all you want it isnt going to impress me that gas is great for home use as a solvent so much that everyone should have a spray bottle filled with it.....

What is your deal? If you dont want to use it thats fine. I dont care. Your opinion is just that. Whatever you want to do go ahead.

I dont have a spray bottle of it either. I was in a jam, I know what its capable of doing (good and bad) and I did it. Let it go. I dont need anymore comment on it, and I dont need you questioning my intelligence just because I did something that you wouldn't do.

Also the "Noob" reference was about spraying acidic wheel cleaner on anything else that isn't a wheel. Not about using gasoline.

Lets recap:

1) My vehicle. (My OFF-ROAD vehicle even)
    2) Used a TEASPOON if that on GLASS! NOT PAINT!
    3) professionally trained with gasoline and educated on the danger
    4) Disposed of rag.

ok?

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by Kris R; 01-30-2009 at 11:24 AM.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast