autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Tire Shine for A professional Detailer?

Here's hoping I don't get flamed for not searching for this question. I actually did do a search but could not locate where anyone had an opinion for tire shine for a professional detailer. I'm hearing that pinnacle sounds like a good bet but do they sell a bottle that will go far enough?

I never sacrifice the look of my finished product for money, however, I would like to be able to purchase something to shine the tires of my customers cars in a large amount. The gentleman that I purchase most of my products from ( He runs my fathers dealerships detail department) sold my a bottle of 'dressing' that was a five to one dilute. He also said it would be safe for interior as well as exterior. My major problem is that in order for the tires to shine I have to put on multiple coats (3+). And this is even after scrubbing the tires with bleach white.

Any ideas on this dilema? Occasionally I'll use Black Magic but have to make sure the customer wont be driving away as soon as I'm done, so the tires have ample time to dry. This however can become costly.

And btw, has anyone ever heard of application by paint brush? A friend mentioned that to me but I'd never heard about it. I sometimes use a tire swipe or a microfiber applicator that I have on reserve for tires only. Thanks again guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Tire Shine for A professional Detailer?

I can't say what's best for a professional detailer, but many tire shines need about 15 minutes to dry before driving off. A paintbrush seems like a reasonable idea, but I swear by tire shine applicators...any kind will do just fine.

I've never used the Pinnacle tire shine but I like how you can buy it in 64oz and 128oz sizes which makes it more economical and there is no diluting needed.

I recently purchased a bottle of Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Spray which I have used on several vehicles now. I just spray some onto a tire shine applicator and then apply it to the tire. No diluting, I believe around $6 or $7 for 32oz, and it's shocking how little is needed to coat four tires. The shine is really nice and dries up in about 15 minutes.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum tire gel. Lasts up to two weeks, no dillution...
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like

I would say difinitely go with companies that offer in gallon or even 5 gallon sizes. It saves money and every dollar counts. Over the years I've used several different dressings from Car Brite, Auto Magic, Detail King, 3M, Meguiars, as well as many OTC ones. Honestly, they all worked well. Solvent based last longer but tend to sling more. If you want a dressing that you can dilute to match your gloss likings then go water based. Down side with water based usually tends to be their durability. You can use some dressings for both exterior and interior by simply changing the dilution ratio, but it's not something I recommend. I've never had a customer tell me they want a glossy, grease looking dressing on their interior.

Meguiars offers a very wide array of dressing in their detailing line. I really like their Hyper Dressing for tires, engines, and exterior trim. I find it lasts pretty long, as long as it doesn't rain. If you wanted a longer lasting solvent based dressing they have their All Season Dressing. On Interiors I like 303 Aerospace protectant, though I do use Meguiars #40 a lot on jobs too.

Hope this helps,

Rasky
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Rasky, do you use 303 Aerospace Protectant on tires? 303 says it bonds to rubber and provides solid durability.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    Rasky, do you use 303 Aerospace Protectant on tires? 303 says it bonds to rubber and provides solid durability.
    I have, and still do from time to time, but I like a little more gloss for my own personal preference. I will usually ask the customer what they preferre when they drop off their vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

i also like the megs hyper dressing dilluted 3-1, leaves a nice semi gloss finish and is priced reasonably. using a tire brush is something alot of dealerships do to apply solvent dressings. it looks great because it applys evenly but loads up the tire and slings
    Last edited by highline1164; 01-21-2009 at 09:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Megs hyper dressing and recently started using all season dressing. I apply ASD after washing and drying the tires let it sit on the tire until I am done polishing, applying LSP and all the last minute lil details, I then go back and wipe down any extra ASD and I really like the look. Has a lil gloss for a day or so then it is just a nice dark black.

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned a paintbrush on another thread talking about sling. It's used to prevent sling. I apply with a foam applicator then give a light brushing to even out tire shine trapped in crevices and behind lettering. Takes very little extra time and definitely prevents sling.

Post Thanks / Like

hyperdressing. like everyone said, you can adjust the dilution to your taste.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast