autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How do I buff out a new paint Job??

I just purchased an older car that had been painted 3 months ago. The finish is dull, big time! The seller told me all it needs is to be buffed out. First, I don't know if he knows what he is talking about, second if he does I need some help in determining the best coarse of action to get some shine on this buggy. Thank You!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I buff out a new paint Job??

What type of paint job is on this vehicle. I bet its enamel if its already dulling after that short a period of time. Base, clear shines for a long time even without polishing. Either way start with the least aggressive combo, polish and mild pad and see if that restores the shine. You will know if there is any color on the pad that you have a SS style paint. I would be very shocked to hear you needing more than a polish after three months of exposure. Good luck and why don't you post some pics, that can be most helpful.

Pat.
    2006 Black Rav4.

Makita 9227C, UDM, Optimum polishes,Menzerna Power Finish, Pinnacle XMT polishes, Poorboy's Sealant, Collnite Insulator wax, various 4,6.5,and 8 inch CCS pads. Edge pads. Microfiber towels galore. And a big thanks to Meghan for shipping to Walt Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pricha00 View Post
    What type of paint job is on this vehicle. I bet its enamel if its already dulling after that short a period of time. Base, clear shines for a long time even without polishing. Either way start with the least aggressive combo, polish and mild pad and see if that restores the shine. You will know if there is any color on the pad that you have a SS style paint. I would be very shocked to hear you needing more than a polish after three months of exposure. Good luck and why don't you post some pics, that can be most helpful.

Pat.
    Thank you for the info Pat! I am not sure what kind of paint is on it. He told me there was 3 coats, I thought he said lacquor and then a coat of clear coat, but he also told me a lot of other fish tails to. What differences would you do if you have one paint or another? I mean as far as getting some shine? Thank You!

Post Thanks / Like

I have never heard of CC of lacquer but I guess anything is possible. Maybe have a local bodyshop take a look or a good local detailer and let them give you some tips on what to do. A little thinner on a rag should tell the tale of whether you have any clear on that paint. Pic a completely out of sight little spot and wipe gently with some thinner on a soft cloth. Color on the rag would suggest no clear. If you are not comfortable with this really go see a pro, I am not one so I wouldn't want you to hurt a new finish.

Pat.
    2006 Black Rav4.

Makita 9227C, UDM, Optimum polishes,Menzerna Power Finish, Pinnacle XMT polishes, Poorboy's Sealant, Collnite Insulator wax, various 4,6.5,and 8 inch CCS pads. Edge pads. Microfiber towels galore. And a big thanks to Meghan for shipping to Walt Disney World.