autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

spray on wax vs quick detail

this is a when and where and why to use basis.

what i have used and from previous experience. Honestly what is the difference between a quick detail spray and a spray on wax?

You spent all of this time washing, claying, prepping, polishing cleaning, sealing and waxing your paint... After a few storms, some driving etc... your car is not so new looking anymore. To my experience you buy some good car was ex. duragloss 901. your car looks shiny and new again. What I dont understand is the quick deatail spray.

You wash your car and spray this stuff on, and wham your back to wow again right? Sure it works. It brings back the life to the paint that no ordinary detergent can do. But its not good for long.

Back when i had my old civic... kept a layer of wax on it... i used a quick detailer spray after every wash, and was happy with it. Come to think about it now, shouldnt there be something better? Well you have spray on waxes... some of them contain carnaubas... carnaubas are protectants and enhance gloss right? why not use that instead?

From past memory there is no quick to perfection, but if you spray on protectant everyime you wash your car cant that original coat of wax (say carnauba) just be a protectant on its own without having to reapply wax every so often? Maybe not since your wax wears off eventually, but your adding some everytime right? Im just a little confused about the whole spray on whipe off situation which works so freaking good but doesnt last long... the way I see it in past experiences both quick detailers and spray on waxes both last the same amount of time an do the same thing. Ive never used a carnauba based one like the pinnacle, but ive tried quite a few on my old car.

so just looking for a little info thats all

Post Thanks / Like

Re: spray on wax vs quick detail

btw the main draw to this thread besides curiosity is my latest test. Last night i washed my car... which is in need of dire attention. There is currently no protection on it... waiting for new pads and for my touch up paint to cure. However i sprayed some aw from duragloss just on my hood of my car after i was done, just to see how it would hold up. Well just to my luck it rained last night. After another wash, my hood felt exactly like my fenders did. Not smooth and slippery like a nice coat of wax, but just plain paint. Felt slick as ever before, but not today.

Post Thanks / Like

12v – After washing my car, I’ve started using a qd (such as Crystal Mist) during the drying stage, more or less as a lubricant. My understanding is that the qd will help reduce the number of webs introduced, as well as giving the car a nice shine. Now I’ll only use a qd when drying when I don’t intend on applying a wax or sealant.

The reason I don’t use a spray wax when drying is because I’m not looking for something that heavy. A qd (IMHO) is easier to apply and remove opposed to a straight spray wax. I suppose it all depends on how much time you have, and your desired results.

During the course of the week, I’ll pick up some light debris as my car is a daily driver. Before the car gets very dirty, I’ll run another qd (Megs Ultimate QD) over my car to help keep it looking nice. Keeping up this routine makes my weekend wash and cleanup quite fast, and I am very happy with the results.
    2011 Tahoe

Post Thanks / Like

I use Prima Hydro as I dry my car. I use Meg UQD during the week, I use it when the car starts to get dirty. I noticed when the car has a nice sealant on it the paitn cleans up well with just some UQD. I also use it after a rain.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of a newbie to quick detailers and dusting between washes, and I've always been afraid of scratching. I know everybody has a different idea about what works for them, but I'd like a little advice from somebody that's done it for a while. Is there a way to quickly maintain your wash job every day without causing lots of little scratching and spider webs? How about California Dusters?

Post Thanks / Like

with the newer quick detailers offering additional gloss properties and even some light protection, the line is really blurred between them and Spray Waxes. Thats why I can most qd'er+ as the are more than the original design.

A spray wax or spray sealant should offer some additional light properties and most contain no cleaning ability. The offer to enhance the base protection and should only be used on clear cars.

For light cleaning without need for hose, I would suggest the No Rinse products from Optimum and DP. A duster is best used in the interior IMO, and if it catches a contaminent or pollen could cause light swirls.