autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

plastic on engine

I was thinking about cleaning the plastic covers and hoses in my engine with a spray detailer. Would this work or are there better suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: plastic on engine

it would work but you may want to do a full clean first with some degreaser and then rinse everything good, and dress with your fav dressing.

Post Thanks / Like

The easiest way that I have found so far is to mix your APC 1:1 and use it in a garden sprayer (1 1/2 to 2 gallon cheapo from Walley World). The wand lets you get into tight areas (behind the battery, air box, along the firewall, etc.

Let it set 5 minutes or so, agitate with a parts washing brush from an auto parts cleaning machine (1 1/2 round polypropylene on a 11 to 12 handle). Most of these will stand up to anything we will use under the hood. I don't think AG carries them but do a search for them and you should be able to find one.

Rinse, blow dry if you have compressed air or similar and crank the engine. Let it run for 15 to 30 seconds maximum (just to make sure you don't have a problem), shut down and spray on your favorite plastic dressing. If I can find it, I like to use CD2 engine detailer but I am just as happy with 303.

You don't have to baby the engine but remember that you are not washing a concrete floor either. Avoid the alternator as much as possible along with distributors (you old guys remember those don't you?) if the car has one. Don't forget to cover up any exposed air intakes and to remove the covers before starting the engine. One caveat is the modular Ford engines. Make sure that the coil on plug units are free of water before starting. Those little buggers are costly (had to replace one on my Expedition 9 years ago ).

If you use CD2, you will need to run the engine for 10 to 15 minutes to set it. After that, you can buff it to a dull sheen or just let it dry to a shinier finish. I prefer the dull sheen of a factory look but some like the “bling”. Watch out for a lot of the “tire” dressings if used under the hood. They are not designed to use in the heat that occurs under the hood and can turn brown in a short period of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good. Thanks!!! Looks like I need a bottle of 303.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Klasse AIO on painted parts, 303 on vacuum lines, and never needed to use a stream of water or can of cleaner. A small can of compressed air works for sand/dirt in the corners.

Post Thanks / Like

303 also because its not greasy and wont attract dirt.
    Detailed Reflections